AX8 Board layout

Sixstring

Legend!
With all the spare time I have lately I decided to build a custom board to fit the pieces that I have decided to use. I went to the local Home improvement store and bought a 2'x4'x1/2 piece of Birch ply ran it through the saw and put 45* on the edges glued and pinned it and gave it a faded black Jeans look. I fit it to the size case I currently have left over from my Axe II rig which is 28"X14" I will be placing a Shure ULX-D wireless and a db Instruments 4E Expression pedal and a R2E2 Momentary / Latching aux pedal.

Here it is in the raw...

Here it is with the finnish applied...

And for those that are wondering how things are going to fit, here are the cardboard templates for reference...

I received the Shure ULX-D Wireless unit yesterday and it is very nice indeed!

I will update the post when I get the rest of the rig.

Last edited:
Sixstring, looks great!
How do you plan to attach the Ax8 to your board? The feet are 1/4" high so there is not a lot of surface space for Velcro. I have thought of adding some 1/4" blocks attached to the board to fill the gap. Thoghts?

Sixstring, looks great!
How do you plan to attach the Ax8 to your board? The feet are 1/4" high so there is not a lot of surface space for Velcro. I have thought of adding some 1/4" blocks attached to the board to fill the gap. Thoghts?

Thanks Mark!

I'm going to fasten through the board from the underside with longer screws, in fact all of the items are going to be done this way. I have already done it to the wireless and I know it makes it harder to remove any one piece but that is the beauty of it as well, everything will be firmly attached.

I actually had to redo some of the finish today, I trimmed the top edges with Aluminium and installed some connectors ran into a size problem with it fitting in the case.

Thanks Mark!

I'm going to fasten through the board from the underside with longer screws, in fact all of the items are going to be done this way. I have already done it to the wireless and I know it makes it harder to remove any one piece but that is the beauty of it as well, everything will be firmly attached.

I actually had to redo some of the finish today, I trimmed the top edges with Aluminium and installed some connectors ran into a size problem with it fitting in the case.

Great idea - consider it stolen.
But when asked, will give you credit!

Great idea - consider it stolen.
But when asked, will give you credit!
Ha, It wasn't my idea I stole from Bob DeLellis in This thread I just built a board based on a Trailer Trash design but completely out of wood. I liked the idea of bolting everything down as opposed to velcroing it. I have had a few pedals fall off of boards in the past and this seemed to be the best way of preventing it from happening.

awesome job man!! you should make a tutorial video

Thanks!
I thought about it but I'm one of these types that work off the cuff and I'm not a woodworker by trade but more of a Jack of all so my skills there are not that great. Making a video would have been kind of a PITA.

What size screws are you going to use to go through the board into the feet of the AX8?
Well, assuming the screws are the same as the ones used on the FX8 I will probably wind up using #6x32 x 7/8". The board thickness I'm using is 1/2" add that to the 3/8" long screws FAS is using to mount the rubber feet and I should be good, of course I need the AX8 in my hands first to confirm it o_O.

I screwed a piece Masonite to the bottom of the unit, removing the feet. I used velcro to stick it to my pedaltrain. Not a chance in hell it's moving, it's so damned tight it's stupid. Done. Did the same with the expression pedals.

Back
Top Bottom