AX8 - Best way to augment and save CPU? (Delay vs Reverb)

Get an Eventide H9. It is BY FAR the best way to take some pressure off the CPU and add some INSANELY versatility into your scenes. I bought one and have it in my AX8's loop and it is AMAZING!

Reverbs AX8 they seems to me more organic... but this is subjective thing. Any way I keep H9 max for a while and maybe I will sell it in future.
And yes... instead few DSP consuming block for some pad/atmospheric FX I can use H9.

FYI... for you guys running external MIDI capable effects (e.g. H9, Bigsky, Timeline, etc...), I reported, and Matt confirmed, a bug with the MIDI programming when done through AX8 Edit. Using MIDI-OX, I found that the AX8 was always sending on channel 16, regardless of what was configured in AX8 Edit. Matt eluded to, but didn't give specifics, about other bugs/issues around the MIDI page. His recommendation was to do all programming on the AX8 hardware as a workaround. Hopefully, this gets fixed soon as it may be a showstopper for me, for now.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ax8-midi-send-channel-always-16.113289/
I have fixed this in the current beta. Stay tuned....SOON!

Get an Eventide H9. It is BY FAR the best way to take some pressure off the CPU and add some INSANELY versatility into your scenes. I bought one and have it in my AX8's loop and it is AMAZING!

If you switch AX8 Scenes with an H9 attached and the program change message sent to the H9 is for the same preset on that unit, is it smart enough to not to reload the algorithm, or does it become another source of dropouts?

Although I don't need anything like that right now, I'm curious for possible far future reference. ;)

If you switch AX8 Scenes with an H9 attached and the program change message sent to the H9 is for the same preset on that unit, is it smart enough to not to reload the algorithm, or does it become another source of dropouts?

Although I don't need anything like that right now, I'm curious for possible far future reference. ;)

I'm not sure. You can program the H9 to change presets for EACH SCENE! The changes are REALLY QUICK! I don't notice a dropout at all. It is incredible to use with the AX8!

I'm not sure. You can program the H9 to change presets for EACH SCENE! The changes are REALLY QUICK! I don't notice a dropout at all. It is incredible to use with the AX8!

I asked because I ran across an old post on the H9 support forum where somebody was complaining about that. After I saw your reply I realized that they were running it in a pedalboard. For the AX8 it wouldn't matter since the effects loop doesn't have to be in series. Good to know that the changes are quick, though. Thanks.

Actually you can change presets on the H9 per scene. AX8 edit makes this extremely simple. In scene one you can make it a chorus. Scene 2 a big reverb. Scene 3 a delay scene 4 a short reverb. Etc..... The two units together are all kinds of amazing. :0)

Put that ol' H9 workhorse to use :D

I have an H9. It is remarkably versatile. (sounds decent also)

Last edited:
Picked up an H9 this week. Just for some over the top stuff. Wanted some input on the setup. Set my level Out 2 to set level based upon bypassed, The FX Loop block is set in Series with the Kill Dry option set in the H9 to off. Just checking if this is the correct way of thinking. If I set the FX Loop block in parallel with the Kill Dry in H9 set to On, would be the same?

I had the H9, great reverb but AX-8 is to my ear better, i lower density from 8 to 6 and
have no cpu problems,also i lower quality of my cab,i even find it less artificial this way :)

Hi! I'll sell my Strymon Timeline, because the delays of the AX8 are great. I replaced the reverb blocks in my presets with the Multidelay, which can sound reeeeaaally ambient...and uses less CPU.

Back
Top Bottom