AX8 Beer Compatibility?

Haha Pima! I got a story. Once playing a gig with no stage, the circle pit got close and someone's foot caught my pedals and into the mosh they went, getting kicked around until I could grab them hook them up and continue playing! LOL

That's awesome!

A couple of months ago, during a break, I was outside getting air. I came back in to find one of the bartenders carrying my front wedge back to the stage.
I said - hey, what's going?
He said - some girl tried to grab onto it as she was falling, and she rolled it out into the middle of the dance floor. Awesome.
Luckily, because I know that bar is always a nightmare, I bring a jbl jrx monitor that I payed 100 bucks for.
Thus, you can see my issue with bringing the ax8 to a gig like that....
People...!

The Walking Dead...

at places with no stage, i'll have people just walking through the band area while we're playing, like it's just some path for them to use. they trip over a cable and then get mad at us... almost like "wtf are you musicians standing in the way for?"

people just have no sense of space or respect for a performance either. of course people even walk up to us while playing at venues with a stage. they usually want us to stop suddenly during songs so they can talk to us and have a conversation about song requests.

at places with no stage, i'll have people just walking through the band area while we're playing, like it's just some path for them to use. they trip over a cable and then get mad at us... almost like "wtf are you musicians standing in the way for?"

This happens to me every time I play in church (accept for the "wtf" part).

I usually end up being more of a threat to my gear than any audience member, noone dares come close to your equipment with you are swinging a Les Paul at them. Yet to gig with my fractal set up, but definitely investing in some longer cables! Fo sho

Neal Schon uses plastic stretch wrap:

a1b7045d-2c11-4c71-b5b5-c1138579c461.JPG

...not against beer, more against wear-out. There is an echoplex unit in the front rack, not covered.....

But seriously, no company I know does a unit protected to beer and other liquids, I had the same discussion with customers of Rane DJ gear while working for their distribution back in the days......so if you can use a plastic zipper bag, do it....if not, enjoy the magic of having one decent amp with two different sounds.....most people in the audience aren't ready to hear the difference between a chorus and dry signal because these folks were too drunk

Why not just put it in a rack and use a remote MIDI switcher? …oh wait a minute...
Exactly.
If you're worried about beer spillage, get a cheap midi controller and buy the flagship instead. ;)

Ironically, all beer spillage and physical damage done to my gear so far has not been by audience members, but the actual band members.
... and one dog who marked his territory on my MFC.

Neal Schon uses plastic stretch wrap:

a1b7045d-2c11-4c71-b5b5-c1138579c461.JPG
I have done that on gigs where we're playing where sand and such is on the ground. I trashed some Ground Control Pro switches and learned my lesson. a little plastic goes a long way towards saving your gear. Should work for beer/rain/drunks as well.

Over hundreds of bar gigs I'd guess I've had beer splashed onto my pedals maybe 6 or 7 times. One was me dropping my own beer. Maybe I'm lucky, but none of this beer actually caused lasting damage... just mess to wipe up later. Actually, one cheap digitech pedal ended with a sticky switch that I could never quite de-stickify.. so that's one casualty.

It's not a concern for all gigs, just rowdy ones when there's no elevated stage. When drunks come staggering over to talk at you, wobbly drink in hand, sometimes you can step towards them to kind of back them up a step so their open drink is out of range. Doesn't work when they step up to talk in your ear WHILE you're playing. I've often had people do that, even during lead playing and amazingly.. even while I'm singing. That one blows me away.. how drunk do you have to be to think you can have a conversation with a singer on stage WHILE he's singing, in between phrases. Happened to me multiple times.

Overall I'm not too worried. If I knew it was one of those rooms prone to drunken stage crowding I'd maybe stick some plastic wrap on.

BTW.. I've never played punk, hardcore or metal so maybe not the most dangerous environments.. lol. Though I can recall three separate incidents where drunk people dancing tripped and fell ass over teakettle into the stage, one time almost totally wiping out the drum kit and stopping the song. Then there was the time our drunk bass player wiped out into the other guitarist's Gretsch on a stand, knocking it over as he fell off the stage. As I recall, he checked on his Gretsch first, then checked to see if the bass player was OK :)

I use those huge Ziploc "space bags" for inclement weather or dirt / sand issues. They work great. Easy to cable in and out of too.

Nothing like the first 4-5 ft of a festival stage, the area not covered, in the pouring rain :)

To be honest, I worry way more about my instruments than the electronic gear. Especially with a modeling rig that could be replaced if I was forced to.

I can relate to Chris's story about extremely small stages and lack of respect by the crowd too. One place we play the path to the restroom goes through the stage. That is entertaining to say the least and can get quite awkward too when someone "wrecks" the toilet. In my experience, it's always the hot women that wreck it the worst... what's up with that? :)

people just have no sense of space or respect for a performance either. of course people even walk up to us while playing at venues with a stage. they usually want us to stop suddenly during songs so they can talk to us and have a conversation about song requests.

Those type of gigs are why I still keep my Digitech RP1000 as well as a few cheap beater guitars in the stable :)

So have FAS confirmed if the AX8 can handle drunk ladies/girls spilling their beers, or the contents of purses on the unit yet? And if extensive testing has been done, are any types of beer more likely to cause damage? As a gigging musician I believe this test is important.

This is what is actually holding up the production and release of the unit: During extensive testing: Apparently there was a problem with Köstritzer: the AX8 would reset to the Amon Duul preset until more was poured into it . The AI doesn't still doesn't recognize many American beers as "beer", and its estimated it may take several weeks to test and profile the English ales and Belgian Sours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom