AX8 Beer Compatibility?

A viable solution for outdoor gigs? Absolutely.

Idiots spilling beer on my gear?!!! GRRR!!! Incur the wrath.

I swear this story is 100% true.
first gig in a big and respected bar in Montreal that produce band over 40 years now...
there's a 10 inch beer stoper in front of the stage so people can't just accidentally drop beer in your stuff, it's drunk people proof, or kinda...
it's our first night, I'm there as the soundguy for the band, everybody enjoy the night, in the middle of the second set, the bar manager likes the band and decide to offer every body a beer, to a total of 4 litres ( 1 gallon )...
the waiter wait till the song is done, ask to come on stage to hand everybody a beer...
go up the 5 stairs, get on stage, trip on a guitar cable and drop 4 full glass of beer directly in the pedal board of the guitar player.
everything blow up, some pedals, the big power supply, TC G-System, name it...
he bad to finis the night direct into the amp with 3 dry dry Channels and no tuners.

the owner of the bar pay for everything, no problems. but all that to say it happen, I saw it form my own eyes.

so yes, I want to know if fractal think about that. I don't expects it to be waterproof, but just a lil bit.

Well... there you have it.

That definitely sucked!

Never underestimate the power of the inebriated, and the liquid that causes it.

91LwYRRVJpL._SX425_.jpg

Ahhh....the AX-C, a forum favorite!

"Join the Fractal elite: get the Big Bags the big boys count on for every gig."

"Audience too 'juicy' for your gear? Big Bags!"

"Big Bags guarantee: the only load blowing at the stage...will be your frikkin face-melting guitar solo!"

Last edited:
We've been doing different gigs then. People yell song requests in my ear as I'm playing, or come up to talk during break or after the gig, and paying zero attention to the drink in their hand. Then there's the often unpredictable and violent weather (and dodgy coverage) at the outdoor gigs. Unlike yours, my gigging life is far from liquids-free, and I don't think I'm unique in that regard.

No, you're not unique in that regard. It happens. We just mitigate the risk a bit more. Nobody is allowed on stage. It almost happened to me once, and that dude got thrown out.

What about something like this? It would take a meticulous application no doubt but could be helpful for that occasional small spill. At the very least it would minimize the damage. I had seen this vid a few years ago and it just came to mind when reading this thread.

Last edited:
Oh yeah beer goes hand in hand with music and good times, thus with Fractal! You know, if a floorboard gets damaged it could always be fixed or replaced. And Fractal Audio happens to be in that business! Buy extras for back up!

My floor pedal gets beer on it on a weekly basis.
Done the plexi glass trick....then someone fell and sat on it....plexi broke into many pieces.
Plastic works...but my real issue is falling idiots.
I've had someone fall on my rjm mastermind midi pedal and it was dented in. I took it apart and the circuit board was being 'flexed' due to the dent. I took the guys out and used some 2x4's and some clamps to straighten it back out. The rjm chassis is not cheaply made....the point is, people can do damage to anything.
So as much as the ax8 would be perfect for me, I don't know if I could build a case to support it from all damage.

Oh man!!! You guys are seriously scaring me. I've not had those gig experiences (either playing or audience), thankfully. (I don't get to gig enough...)

Time to search google about this.

Haha Pima! I got a story. Once playing a gig with no stage, the circle pit got close and someone's foot caught my pedals and into the mosh they went, getting kicked around until I could grab them hook them up and continue playing! LOL

at places with no stage, i'll have people just walking through the band area while we're playing, like it's just some path for them to use. they trip over a cable and then get mad at us... almost like "wtf are you musicians standing in the way for?"

people just have no sense of space or respect for a performance either. of course people even walk up to us while playing at venues with a stage. they usually want us to stop suddenly during songs so they can talk to us and have a conversation about song requests.

Haha great stories guys. I made this post 50% in jest and 50% in reality. Definitely something for me to consider, though it won't prevent me from getting one ( soo excited for this ). I really need too evaluate how I am going to protect it. Unfortunately in my band, I stand in the middle, and sing, and my mfc101 is right in the danger zone. The ladies and gentleman( mostly ladies, and unfortunately in some cases this is not a good thing lol ) always tend to use the front of the stage as their drink holder. I spend the majority of my evening kicking my mfc101 further and further back. Love the shower curtain/freezer bag ideas...

I like the space bag version of the zip locs. Ziploc® | Space Bag® Large Heavy Duty | Ziploc® brand | SC Johnson

For me they last longer.

If things do get wet, I take great care in removing the cables while keeping the gear in the bag. Seal the bag and put it in a separate part of the truck with the gear still in it. Then use towels to dry off the outside of the bag before removing the gear.

It's easy to operate footswitches, pedals, and knobs with gear in the bag as long as you get one big enough to not bind across the top of your pedal board.

For me it 100% about the front of outdoor festival stages and rain.

I don't discount the drink spilling thing. But in all my years of gigging, I never even heard of people worried about it until I started going to online forums.

Maybe they just need to offer an option out of the factory for conformal coated electronics. It would allow the warranty to stay intact and repairs to still be done if needed. But when done correctly waterproofs electronics. There are other Hydrophobic compounds out there these days as well. But I have yet to deal with them in a manufacturing or repair situation.

The stuff is nice since if you go to test or solder through it, the temp of an iron will just burn it away and act like a flux. You can scratch it away with a probe to get the the surface for testing.

Exactly what I was just thinking why not just spray some units test the mfc 101 and axe 8 and the rack units as well cables pedals and all and field test it..
Coat everything in the manufacturing process..

Exactly correct.... if it works and no issues then one might be confident in using it themselves and following suit.
It will add a cost too the production but it could also solve problems down the line corrosion oxidation ect...

What about something like this? It would take a meticulous application no doubt but could be helpful for that occasional small spill. At the very least it would minimize the damage. I had seen this vid a few years ago and it just came to mind when reading this thread.

I have an ex that I'm sure used this stuff...

Back
Top Bottom