AX8 Battery?

I didn't see one in the manual, on servers and PC's they have one for clock but since its not keeping time I suspect no, the presets probably are backed up by NVR (Non-Volatile Memory) or FFD (Fractal Fairy Dust) I've owned a truck load of processor boards over the years none of them had on-board batteries that I was aware of.

I didn't see one in the manual, on servers and PC's they have one for clock but since its not keeping time I suspect no, the presets probably are backed up by NVR (Non-Volatile Memory) or FFD (Fractal Fairy Dust) I've owned a truck load of processor boards over the years none of them had on-board batteries that I was aware of.
All of the Axe Fx units have an internal battery. Don't know about the AX8, though.

@Heinzi - quickest answer would be to email Fractal support unless someone chimes in.

Edit after quick forum search:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ax8-battery.116200/post-1388483

Last edited:
Old BIOS usually needed a battery to keep an updated firmware. When the battery was empty, it reverted to the delivery state. So maybe for firmware or preset purposes?

Old BIOS usually needed a battery to keep an updated firmware. When the battery was empty, it reverted to the delivery state. So maybe for firmware or preset purposes?
That’s interesting, I’d thought flashing BIOS would be like a PC when it’s flashed would written into the BIOS

In 1994, everything was different :D
In 1994 I had a Zoom 9030, and I still have it for sentimental reasons but never put a battery in in that sucker, I had no idea FAS has been around that long! Wow only been a FAS customer since AX8.

Dose the Axe Fx keep time? Just wondering the purpose for them if not...
The battery is required to keeps custom settings and such. I believe it's also required to keep user presets saved, but not 100% on that.

Just like your computer, if you have a dead battery, custom settings in the BIOS (such as the date/time) are lost when power is removed

BIOS is like the firmware, it doesn't need a battery... Only the settings that can be changed require that.

The battery is required to keeps custom settings and such. I believe it's also required to keep user presets saved, but not 100% on that.

Just like your computer, if you have a dead battery, custom settings in the BIOS (such as the date/time) are lost when power is removed
Its hard to believe that a battery would be needed these days with flash memory being so cheap, but I'm not a hardware developer so do not understand why its used outside of my own experience with technology and for something like a FAS system I have no insight, however in servers I know its primarily for the clock and or the disk controller cache outside of that who knows... At least we have the Fractal Bot to back up so that's cool and I use it from time to time.

in servers I know its primarily for the clock and or the disk controller cache outside of that who knows...
Yes... Those are custom settings.

Note that is not the clock. It's the date and time. The clock is a hardware component that counts "ticks" or "cycles". The date and time are merely reference points. ;)

Back
Top Bottom