AX8 + backing tracks

VeryBadMan

Experienced
My one gripe with the AX8 was lack of usb audio. How was I going to play my backing tracks and program music and AX8 through my speaker?
So I got a little mixer Yamaha MG06X. Headphone jack from laptop to mixer , AX8 outs to mixer then out to FRFR speaker boom backing tracks and AX8 together yay.
Ya it adds a bit more cabling and stuff to my rig but it works.
If anyone has a more compact solution let me know.

Got myself a DigiTech JamMan stereo for all backing tracks. Fixes my issues with the AX8 looper too. I prefer simple and robust devices over using a laptop on stage. Also a lot easier to operate.

Cool @ChristThePhone are you using the JamMan through the fx loop?
I have my tracks -sounds and music in Ableton Live on my laptop. yes simple , compact and easy to operate is what I'm going for.

I run my AX8 via S/PDIF thru Apollo interface into Logic X. The UAD Console software balances the sound between backing and live. Using Logic I can loop sections to learn, slow it down and if an inspiration hits just hit the red button.

Last edited:
I run my AX8 via S/PDIF thru Apollo interface into Logic X. The UAD Console software to balances the sound between backing and live. Using Logic I can loop sections to learn, slow it down and if an inspiration hits just hit the red button.
this setup is hard to beat , the pairing of AX8 and UAD models is truly awesome..

All good ideas. I do have a Focusrite interface as well. This is for LIVE use and the little Yamaha mixer is just a bit smaller than the Focusrite and a bit easier to set up. Ive got my AXE-FX for studio , recording and such. The AX8 is going on the road for my little gigs, hotel room jams and such.

I run a mic into the line in of the AX8 using an fx loop block. Granted, had to boost the signal of the mic using an effect or amp block. Running parallel.

I wonder if I could do the same but running backing tracks instead of a mic... And which od to use since the amp will be used with the guitar.
Will have to try it.
Currently use a mini mixer too which doubles as a headphone practice amp too.

@fireheart7 your backing track ( or mic signal ) does not need to go through the AX8. I just go Laptop to mixer + AX8 to mixer out to powered monitor.
I know. I do use a mixer myself. But your post made me wonder if I could forego the mixer just out of curiosity. Also, my mixer has no effects so I run my mic through AX8 to access reverb etc.

I know. I do use a mixer myself. But your post made me wonder if I could forego the mixer just out of curiosity. Also, my mixer has no effects so I run my mic through AX8 to access reverb etc.
For performing live, it would be nice to go from an iPad to AX8 for backing tracks. No extra mixers needed. Will test this evening.

I have speakers with built-in mixers so that’s what I would likely use. The CLR has two inputs with individual volumes, and an overall master volume so that would likely work well. The Yamaha DXR10 has 3 inputs with individual volumes that would likely work even better if you sing as well, so you could just run the mic into the XLR input 1, the Ax8 into TS input 2 and the iPad into rca input 3. No external mixer needed and would be super portable.

I have speakers with built-in mixers so that’s what I would likely use. The CLR has two inputs with individual volumes, and an overall master volume so that would likely work well. The Yamaha DXR10 has 3 inputs with individual volumes that would likely work even better if you sing as well, so you could just run the mic into the XLR input 1, the Ax8 into TS input 2 and the iPad into rca input 3. No external mixer needed and would be super portable.
Cool. Do you know if the DSP have reverb for vocals?

Gottcha it would be nice to not have the extra stuff. let us know how your test goes.
Official, it will play an external source via the fx loop line in. I even looped part of a song and messed playing it backwards etc.
Split the signal in stereo, fed L and R into AX8. Went out L and R to my powered speaker. No mixer whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom