Legacy Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy DREAMRIGS 1000+TonePack for AX8 and Axe-FX Mark II/XL/XL+

Third party presets or preset packs for sale for legacy Fractal Audio products.

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi everyone!

I've released my latest TonePack made just for the AX8. It is a dramatic improvement on the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack as a tone arsenal. You can find more information about it here. There is also a six-part video of it on my YouTube channel and my website.

Here's a quick video about the files you get; it's the third in a 6 part series of video tutorials for this new TonePack.

We'll get some video reviews going, but needless to say, if you like your 700+ Naked Amps TonePack for the AX8, you will LOVE the Dream Rigs 1000+ Tonepack for the AX8. These were dialed in for LIVE playing mainly but can be used for recording too.

It was designed and dialed in on firmware Quantum 10.01 which is based on the famed ARES software used on the Axe-Fx III platform. I dialed most everything in on a single Atomic NEO CLR that sat 10-12 feet away turned up to 2:00 on both input and output. I wanted these presets to be things you or I could use on stage. I had a few beta team testers as well who likewise took them out to play loud in open spaces...

There are six banks of presets spanning most every amp model, with 112 presets per bank (and some empty work spaces for you in each bank). Most presets are specifically designed to have a humbucker or single coil setting (explained in the videos), plus one of the six banks is a "single coils only" bank.

Each amp has four presets: clean, low-gain, medium gain or rhythm, and hi-gain or lead. There is a modern metal bank that dispenses with the cleans in some cases. I had a metal-style guitar expert here in Austin help me dial some of those amps like the ENGL, Diezel VH4, 5150 and others using his detuned PRS guitar and it Djents -- and it kills.

There is an effects block library and effects assigned in each preset. There are 14 User Cabs included mostly from my own produced Cab Packs plus one mix IR from a RedWirez Big Box collection (that was also included in the 700+ Naked Amps Pack).

The concept here is to make it easier for you to audition and find your favorites clean sounds, low gain, rhythm, and high gain or lead tones to assemble your very own Dream Rig(s). Let me know what questions you have. You'll enjoy this one!!

Dream-Rigs-AX8-1.png

Last edited:
Just purchased. Help!

Get following error when trying to open zip file:
upload_2018-12-11_22-2-20.png
Hit OK several times but get same error with different archive names.

Tried several times and moved file to different locations with shorter path names but no luck getting it to unzip.
Tried downloading a 2nd time and get same error.

Just purchased. Help!

Get following error when trying to open zip file:
View attachment 51179
Hit OK several times but get same error with different archive names.

Tried several times and moved file to different locations with shorter path names but no luck getting it to unzip.
Tried downloading a 2nd time and get same error.
Try not using WinZip. Just navigate into the zip file and drag its contents into the desired folder.

Thanks Rex - that kinda worked and some of the files started copying but then it threw up:

upload_2018-12-11_22-26-6.png

Hitting Try Again didn't work and skipping threw up new errors with different .blk names

I thought the problem might be with the long folder name for blocks. I renamed it and re-upload the .zip file. But this may be something else if the Fractal block file layouts are causing you problems -- I can't control those.

Here is what the files should look like unzipped:

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 10.56.25 PM.png

This is the key to the problem:

Error... Path too long
Windows puts a limit on how long the path name can be. The path name is the entire path to the folder you're unzipping into, plus the path name to the nested folders within the Zip file, plus the name of the file itself. Try unzipping into a folder directly beneath the drive letter.

@austinbuddy 's file and folder names are wonderfully descriptive, but all those letters and numbers add up in a hurry.

There are video tutorials on how to do all of the below...

First thing, do a complete backup of your stuff with FractalBot - no excuses. Always back your stuff up. And then make sure you have 10.1 firmware installed.

Then set up your AX8 hardware from the front panel. See the video on how to do this. Don't neglect this step. Reset parameters, then make the changes outlined in video

Then install the User Cabs into slots 20-33 (NOT in 1-14) else you will get no sound from some presets, or incorrect sounds that use your own user cabs 20-33.

Then next, drag the subfolder -- contained under the main folder INSTALL SECOND Effects Library, -- subfolder called "blocks for Dream Rigs" -- drag that folder inside as a new sub folder of your existing Ax8-Edits blocks folder. When Ax8-Edit runs, it will read these blocks. You actually don't have to do this step, but there are blocks of most of the effects already saved which will save you time from saving them yourself.

Then launch Ax8-Edit. Under Footswitches, set the right side F2 "HOLD" function to switch to LOOPER instead of the default Sticky Scene (for now).

READ THE USER MANUAL, or WATCH THE TUTORIAL VIDEOS.

The install some preset banks using Axe-Edits Preset Manager. You have six total banks (and a bonus bank) to choose from, and only four will fit at once.

I suggest you keep bank 1-16 open for your final Dream Rig presets work area, and use bank spaces 17-32, banks 33-48, and banks 49-64 for Dream Rigs banks. Load the first three Main banks. If you do single coils only, use that fourth bank instead of the metal bank 3.

Then explore the tones. Understand the Kicker Coil CS2 and Boost CS1, and how Amp X/Y works to change the tone (such as for single coils)

Preset nomenclature:

Preset names that start with an "*" or asterisk are pre-dialed for single coils. Using a humbucker may distort them. But if you turn the Kicker Coil OFF (it defaults to ON for these in bank 4), you can use a humbucker there.

/y
means Amp Y will give you a less bright sound than Amp X. These are good for single coils combined with the Kicker Coil switch.

/F or /Fat means Amp Y turns the Fat switch on -- Friedmans, Mesa Boogies, etc.

/Alt means Amp Y will give you an alternate sound

/Cab means clicking the S 1/2 switch will change the cab

Start posting questions here and I'll answer best I can.

One caveat: some amps just don't do both a great clean and a great high-gain. The User manual covers this. Hot Kitty/Bad Cat for example - no good clean really. I did my best to extract out usable cleans where I could...but there are dozens and dozens of great cleans overall and the concept/point of the Tonepack is to identify your favorite tones and assemble your own DreamRig(s).

It could be a USA clean, a AC Morgan Low, A CAE Rhythm, and a FAS Lead...

Or a Texas LoneStar Clean, a Triaxis or JMP low, a Recto Orange Rhythm, and an ENGL Lead...

Or a Shiva Clean, a Plexi50Jump Low, a EVH Blue50 Medium, and a Diezel VH4 Lead...

Or a Super Reverb Clean, a DC-30 low, a Dr. Z 66 Medium, and a Bludotone Lead...

You get the idea. Enjoy, have fun!

Last edited:
This is the key to the problem:

Windows puts a limit on how long the path name can be. The path name is the entire path to the folder you're unzipping into, plus the path name to the nested folders within the Zip file, plus the name of the file itself. Try unzipping into a folder directly beneath the drive letter.

@austinbuddy 's file and folder names are wonderfully descriptive, but all those letters and numbers add up in a hurry.
I know - my bad. I am a Mac guy through and through. Should be fixed now. Thanks Steve for pointing out and to Rex for the tech assist!

I had loads of fun beta-testing the Dream Rigs pack. There's tons of stuff here, all dialed in to perfection. Looking back through my records, the beta test has gone on for the better part of three months, and @austinbuddy put in a lot of hours before that just to get things ready for beta testing.

Hint: try the Supro Low with the neck pickup of a Tele.

I had loads of fun beta-testing the Dream Rigs pack. There's tons of stuff here, all dialed in to perfection. Looking back through my records, the beta test has gone on for the better part of three months, and @austinbuddy put in a lot of hours before that just to get things ready for beta testing.

Hint: try the Supro Low with the neck pickup of a Tele.

PS Rex gave me invaluable feedback as he put these through their paces in a big room loudly. The single coil option per preset is largely there because of the initial feedback he gave me from using his Tele on basic presets dialed in with humbuckers -- they were too bright for Teles and we needed to adjust in a smart way but keep the humbucker sound intact. Just wanted to do public shout out and thanks to you Rex!

PS Rex gave me invaluable feedback as he put these through their paces in a big room loudly. The single coil option per preset is largely there because of the initial feedback he gave me from using his Tele on basic presets dialed in with humbuckers -- they were too bright for Teles and we needed to adjust in a smart way but keep the humbucker sound intact. Just wanted to do public shout out and thanks to you Rex!
It was a pleasure to help out, Buddy! I got to play with your toys. And you take criticism like a guy who means it.

My "test rig" was a 1000-seat auditorium all to myself...

20180926_001158.jpg

20180926_001537.jpg

Start posting questions here and I'll answer best I can.
I need some help building up my dream rig.

My typical preset layout looks like this:
  • Footswitch 1 = Scene 1 = clean
  • Footswitch 2 = Scene 2 = medium gain
  • Footswitch 3 = Scene 3 = hi gain
  • Remaining footswitches turn on/off effects, solo boost, etc.
For the clean sound I use:
amp x = 6G4 Super, cab x = F022(2x12 Brown Super M160) & F004 (1x10 Prince Tone M160)​
For the hi gain sound I use:
amp y = Recto 1 Red, cab y = F043 (4x12 Recto SM57) & F044 (4x12 Recto M160)​

The medium gain sound is my problem because in AX8 there is only one instance of the amp block.

Either you use my x settings and try to add some gain. That can be achieved by adding a drive block or increase the amp's drive and input gain with the help of screen controllers.
Or you use my y settings and try to reduce some gain. That can be achieved by decreasing the amp's drive and input gain with the help of screen controllers.

What do you think is the better solution?

Unfortunately amp parameters like bass, mid, etc. cannot be controlled by screen controllers. Any ideas how to deal with this problem?

Many thanks in advance
Peter

Back
Top Bottom