AX8 as pedalboard in front of amp

JorgeDamien

Next month I'll be filling in for the guitarist in a Rage Against The Machine tribute band, so I'm trying to emulate Tom Morello's setup which is guitar to pedals and then front of amp (which in my case is a Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic in the "Marshall" channel).

The thing is that the AX8 is causing an irritating high frequency, cutting bass and adding treble.

All the blocks are disabled right now, so one would assume that it would be "true bypass" and sound just like the guitar direct to the amp, but it's far from that.

I tried to dial down the AX8 output but it didn't get better.

What could this be?

I'm guessing its probably fixed by some I/O Audio menu setting regarding the gain staging. Pages 17,18,84,85 of the manual.

For FX only I run out of Send 2 via the AX8 FX loop block (that way I've got the same FX setup to use with amp & cab models via Output 1). Output 2 set to none, not a of copy Output 1.

If you do go from Output 1 - the default level is set to +4dbu (Standard for FRFR) - that's way too hot for a guitar amp input: Set it to -10db.

Hope that does it.

Last edited:
Next month I'll be filling in for the guitarist in a Rage Against The Machine tribute band, so I'm trying to emulate Tom Morello's setup which is guitar to pedals and then front of amp (which in my case is a Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic in the "Marshall" channel).

The thing is that the AX8 is causing an irritating high frequency, cutting bass and adding treble.

All the blocks are disabled right now, so one would assume that it would be "true bypass" and sound just like the guitar direct to the amp, but it's far from that.

I tried to dial down the AX8 output but it didn't get better.

What could this be?
I also have the Royal Atlantic. Stunning amp! I have used the AX8 with 4CM and run my out1 and out2 at about 12:00 to 1:00 I think best practice is to have the outputs at 100% The amp did not sound as nice as plugging the guitar straight into the amp but it was still very nice. BTW - my JVM sounds way more "Marshally' ;)

If I get a chance this week, I'll wire it up and see how it goes (I am rather swamped at work right now). If you want to shoot me the patch, I'll load it up and see if i get the same issues.

Back
Top Bottom