AX8 - ARES ?

teddis

Fractal Fanatic
I see some patch providers (Austin) are now sending out updates specifically because of 2.05 on the III and ARES.
Do we have ARES functionality in the AX8 ? Was this part of an AX8 F/W revision at some point ?
thx

ahh, okay. Seems it is having some tweaks , and patches are being revised for this. by suppliers......wonder if it comes our way ?

ahh, okay. Seems it is having some tweaks , and patches are being revised for this. by suppliers......wonder if it comes our way ?
Ares is the latest version of amp modeling. The hardware of the Axe-Fx III is more advanced and Ares modeling needs that. The CPU of the AX8 is not powerful enough to run Ares modeling. Cliff put as much of it as possible in the AX8 firmware though.

I guess.....love my AX8...but this, combined with CPU overages......argh.
Have a patch right now that the Multi delay will not work in.....

CPU - Easy fix for that is to offload the reverb to a BigSky or something, in the effects loop. I don't ever want to have to think about CPU, so that's what I did.

ARES - So you're dissatisfied because FAS released an improved product and didn't backport its features to this one? That will always be the case, unless you continually buy the state of the art.

upload the preset and we can suggest how to improve it.

every computer has a CPU limit. things aren't infinite. the future gear will always have improvements that can't be just added to past gear. Ares modeling wouldn't help you add more blocks anyway.

If I’m not mistaken didn’t AustinBuddy already come out with a preset pack for the Ax8 which already takes the latest firmware updates (which includes some Ares modeling) ?

Also, he said he doesn’t expect to have the III preset pack fully updates til Summer, so your not exactly missing anything. Well, besides a future update to paid presets on hardware you don’t own, so no, not really missing anything

I will immediately get in line to purchase an AX8 Mark II based around the III/Ares modeling and internals. This is why I am hoping there are no plans to roll that out yet :anguished:

Hi Chris,
Pretty busy preset, seems Reverb and MultiDelay battling it out.
I really only want to be able to add shimmer (Multi-delay block) in scene 1 with Reverb, etc.
My scene structure is, 1 clean, 2 break up, 3 heavy rhythm , 4 lead.
Any help appreciated, thank you

Attachments

• SHIVER - FRIEDMANcpu.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 15
Hi Chris,
I really only want to be able to add shimmer (Multi-delay block) in scene 1 with Reverb, etc.
Moke will probably get to this before I do ;)

No worries ;)
I run stereo , Ultra Res, tried dialing back the reverb samples .....still always kills a block when I engage MD.
Looking forward to a learning here hopefully .

Last edited:
CPU - Easy fix for that is to offload the reverb to a BigSky or something, in the effects loop. I don't ever want to have to think about CPU, so that's what I did.

ARES - So you're dissatisfied because FAS released an improved product and didn't backport its features to this one? That will always be the case, unless you continually buy the state of the art.

Thanks,
Was hoping NOT to add additional pedals to the AX2.....but I guess this is a reality.
I use out 1 stereo to FOH, OUT 2 , 1/4 inch via inserted FXL block before CAB for my tube Amp.

How would I insert a Reverb that is global across both outputs ? Is that easy ?

Can you use normal res cabs? Can you try it, like actually gig it and see if you miss the ultra res?

One gig I played set 1 with ultra res and set 2 with normal and the audience couldn’t tell the difference.

a lot going on there...it probably won't fix it, but. changing the cab to normal res will help some.

curious as to why you're running so many fx between the amp block and cab block?

Hi Chris,
Try this out.

Is the 'Fx-Loop' split for a standard guitar cab output?
Did you want the 'Multi-Delay' block set to 100% wet?

Main changes.....
  1. Replaced the Reverb block with a Delay block that is setup to approximate your Reverb block but at a lower CPU. If you like it, save it in your Block Library so that you can easily recall it when you need it.
  2. Changed the Cab block to 'Stereo' to save CPU. I really can't hear the difference?

Other changes......
  1. Lowered the 'Hi-Cut' in the Cab block.
  2. Moved the Filter block (lead boost) to before the Delays for a smother transition between scenes. Delay and Reverb tails were also being affected by the 'Boost'.
  3. Played around a bit with the 'Multi-Delay' block. BTW...It was not in stereo because the 'Master Pan' was set to '0'.
  4. Raised the 'Low-Cut' parameter to '150 Hz' in the 'Enhancer' to un-clutter the low-end of the stereo image on the heavier scenes.
  5. Changed the 'Mix' parameters in Delay 1, 'X' and 'Y', to the 'Y' value (10%), and lowered the 'Input Gain' of the 'X' state to approximate the original mix setting of 2%. Keeps the Delay tails unchanged when switching between 'X' and 'Y'.
  6. Added the new Delay 2 (reverb) to switch #6, and the 'Multi-Delay' to switch #2. (the Filter was on switches #2 and #8?, so I chose to replace #2. You can move the Multi-delay to #8, and the Filter to #2 if you prefer?)
  7. Other minor things that I can't recall.

Attachments

• SHIVER - FREIDMAN(MCP).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Wow Moke !!!
Thank you very much, so much detail and correction !!!
Yes, I use FXL to tube amp head ( Power amp only ) and guitar cabinet 1X EVM12L
No idea what I am doing...hence the 100% wet :)

I cannot wait to try this out when i get home tonight.
Have great day !

I know you......

Back
Top Bottom