AX8 - Any Updates?

"Everyone wants it to be as light as possible" - not sure about this. Looking at some of the posts it seems like some people like things to be heavy as hell :)

Not to the point that it sacrifices durability - you are right, but I do not suggest to sacrifice durability. But for example 10 lbs is too much for a quite compact device like AX8. It means that it's chassis is made of thick steel. Thinner steel will be as durable for normal stage use (I don't think there are elephants will be going on stage to accidentally stomp on AX8 ), but still will be lighter.

You should not think that I'm complete paranoic about weight, but AX8 is the product of my dreams to come true - of course I wish it to be really light, so I could take it with me everywhere.

Just tired of moving racks for my entire playing life... First it was rack with tube preamp and effect processor - quite heavy to travel with it. Then it is AXE FX2 - still heavy to take with you everywhere. And finally AX8 is coming - I hope it will give total freedom a-la "put it in your gigbag's pocket - and go".

Just make it from thick gauge Aluminium or Titanium.

(Then sell some "specially tuned" Fractal Lead weights to screw onto it for all the weirdos who think Heavier = Stronger)......

Thinner steel will be as durable for normal stage use (I don't think there are elephants will be going on stage to accidentally stomp on AX8 ), but still will be lighter.

I'm assuming you don't play out very often. Between venue crews who don't give a rat's ass about your gear and will trip/stomp/ drop heavy shit on it without a thought, drunken idiots who jump onstage to "sing/dance/molest" the band and your very own lost-in-their-own-world bandmates invading your space not looking where they're going there are elephants a plenty on stage...

In addition to my "waterproof" request, I'd like to add a request for a "boobytrap edition". If one of the aforementioned numbskulls stomps on my AX8 I'd like it to either:
A. Shoot Punji sticks through the souls of their shoes carrying a toxic brew that will make them immediately shit and piss themselves
B. Using a powerful spring, jettison them 30 feet in the air and off the stage "Batman ejector seat style"
C. Send a non-lethal yet painful electrical current coursing through their bodies- this version could be named the "Don't Tase Me, Bro" edition

Last edited:
I play often and understand what are you talking about. But always there is a degree, above which there is no need to improve durability. Have you seen the thickness of steel of which regular AXE FX 2 is made of ? If you put all your bandmates to stand on it together - there will be no damage to it. Really strange to create such tank-like chassis for device which is not even designed to be stomped on.

AX8 supposed to be stomped on, but anyway - it is possible to use thinner steel and add reinforcement plates inside the chassis to make it rigid and solid. Overall mass will be less. And I agree, titanium is the best solution. Crazy durable and crazy light at the same time.

We actually decided a couple days ago to make the grid 4x12. Since you can easily run 8 effects you would only have six slots with a 4x8 grid (after subtracting amp and cab) before having to use Send/Receive blocks.

The prototypes are working great and sound fantastic.

This just made me break out into my happy dance. :)

Being that the FX8 is 11.5 pounds according to the Wiki, I'm going to guess the AX8 will be very similar. If Fractal can reduce the weight without sacrificing durability or increasing cost I'm all for it. But no matter what, the AX8 will weigh a lot less than my 4 space rack and pedal board while also be much smaller. So where is that wait list :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've waited eons for an Axe floor unit, so if you're going to wait for a "stripped down unit" methinks you might as well go into Hypersleep. Much like tomorrow, I do believe that version will never come...

Cliff, is it possible to make a comparison between ax8 and axe fx ii in terms of cpu utilization? For example something like "90%on the ax8 is equivalent to 60% on the axe" would be great
And please include a synth block in the effects inventory! ;)

11.5 lbs is bad news :-( I really wish to be on waiting list, but at this weight I think I'll be waiting for stripped-down version of AX8...

LOL, if a couple of pounds is going to keep you from buying the AX8 you really need to get to the gym more or get a more realistic view of the world. The Axe II is about 15 pounds without the case, MFC 10+. Add in all the extras and the AX8 is a tiny featherweight device by comparison. I think most users, no matter how far they need to walk, will clearly see the portability advantages.

Everyone who don't care about weight - doesn't carry gear by hand. You guys do have cars I think. I'm not that rich yet, so I forced to move to rehearsals and live shows by foot and mass transport - the lighter and more compact the gear - the better for me.
I hope Cliff will hear both parties and create AX8 which will be both durable and light. I really hope for that!

Are you in Europe?

When I lived in Europe I did, indeed, travel to gigs on foot and via public transport. Most European cities have FAR better public transportation than we have in North America, and it's pretty easy to get where you need to go, quickly and safely. But carrying gear was definitely a PITA.

I dont agree with the lighter is better argument, i use to carry a 50 lb 1x12 combo to my gigs, i think even if the ax8 is 20lb it its certainly an advantage over carryng heads, racks and cabs.

I think if you need to go to a gig walking or using public transportation you should bring a really small rig there (an atomic amplifire would be a good fit, ir can fit in most gigbags) i wouldn't risk my better rig in those situations.

Back
Top Bottom