AX8 - Any Updates?

No way, us guitar players are such dainty li'l b*tches. ;)

Seems like every time rack gear or tube amp discussions come up everyone has some kind of medical condition to trot out such that they "can't" deal with heavy gear (if I were a chiropractor I'd surf guitar forums for customers). Don't get me wrong, some people have legitimate health concerns and weight is a huge inconvenience and the more you travel with your stuff the more you'll value portability but to get the epic toanz sacrifices must be made! 8) And, TBH, some of the things I have seen people complain about over the years are HARDLY heavy if you have hit puberty and are able bodied for the most part.

I can't IMAGINE the AX8 weighing too much for me personally if the form factor is what I think it is... unless it was made of uranium or something.

People spend upwards of $20K for a bicycle that weight 17 pounds. Just sayin.

People spend upwards of $20K for a bicycle that weight 17 pounds. Just sayin.

Inappropriate analogy: They pay such a significant premium because it gives them a competitive advantage in their sport not because they have difficulty transporting the gear from one venue to another.
Think about it. Just sayin.

Musician:
"I picked up a drug habit and can't put it down....now I can't pick up my axe-fx"

Forum genius:
"an iPhone can do it. There's an app for that!"

Cliff:
bFFJysJ.gif

I'm glad this weight discussion is over with. Although, if they were a little lighter I would be able to carry more of them around, right? Like two under each arm.

I WILL NOT PURCHASE AN AX8 UNLESS IT WEIGHS LESS THAN 2 POUNDS AND CAN PRINT MONEYZ!!!

Also Cliff can you include an engine and wheels, I expect this unit to be able to drive me to gigs.

Should be simple enough.

I WILL NOT PURCHASE AN AX8 UNLESS IT WEIGHS LESS THAN 2 POUNDS AND CAN PRINT MONEYZ!!!

Also Cliff can you include an engine and wheels, I expect this unit to be able to drive me to gigs.

Should be simple enough.

You can't expect that in the initial release. That's just foolish. But perhaps by the first few firmware updates?

Since the weight issue is done, can we pick back up on the pricing speculation and/or waiting list questions? I believe those horses have only been beaten til bloody and comatose. But not quite dead yet.

Really looking forward to this... Will it come with a carrying case or will that cost extra???

Over 1000E I will have difficulties to justify the acquisition at my place and also I would hesitate to leave it on the floor of a bar stage during a gig pause (no way to keep an eye on it being on the floor vs the Axe II in a rack at 1m20/4ft level).

I have a small hope it might remain way under that amount... but I guess the price issue is a real difficulty, regarding the enormous and limitless quality provided by FAS. Wait and see...

Well, appears that there's some room for wealthy people market share for a "Titanium (VIP-amateur) Edition" of AX8 for $500 more or the like, 3 or 4 pounds lighter...

Being sincere, I would pay the extra if I $could$, but not a big deal, by any means.

many people don't know the qualities of different processors. they see an iPhone run a 16 track recorder with a million-color screen and think it is more powerful for audio-processing than a huge black rack box with a Green and black dot screen. it's a common misconception, especially given how generally powerful a phone-type device is these days.

it's like dual-core vs quad-core. quad-core can actually make the overall computer run slower vs a dual-core, yet rendering video and audio, quad-core kills.

that smartphone quote is obviously wrong to those who know, but it's a very common belief. (and honestly, many people believe that if a screen looks better, the entire device is better/faster/stronger than anything with a worse screen.)

many people don't know the qualities of different processors. they see an iPhone run a 16 track recorder with a million-color screen and think it is more powerful for audio-processing than a huge black rack box with a Green and black dot screen. it's a common misconception, especially given how generally powerful a phone-type device is these days.

it's like dual-core vs quad-core. quad-core can actually make the overall computer run slower vs a dual-core, yet rendering video and audio, quad-core kills.

that smartphone quote is obviously wrong to those who know, but it's a very common belief. (and honestly, many people believe that if a screen looks better, the entire device is better/faster/stronger than anything with a worse screen.)

Yeah - this can be very confusing to some folks. If I have a 3.6 Ghz home PC why can't my Axe "go that fast"?

The difference is DSPs (digital signal processors) versus a general purpose CPU. DSP micro architecture and coding is designed from the ground up for real-time signal processing with *absolute minimal* latency. They are purpose built for this function. CPUs on the other hand are very much "jack of all trades" devices. They can play Halo or crunch a spreadsheet but complex convolved multivariate polynomial real time manipulation of a data stream isnt what they are designed for. Personally I've never been able to deal with the latency of playing through even a wicked fast computer in a live setting.

Will Moore's Law eventually make the general purpose CPU work as well as a DSP for sound and allow ultra low latency real time processing? Sure - eventually I believe it will. And I honestly think that day isn't too far off! When that day comes and Cliff can hitch the AXE FX 4 (or whatever) to Intel's innovation curve then the sky will truly be the limit.

Disconnector

And any modern latest smartphone has CPUs which are faster than AXE's CPUs. So, it IS possible to make AXE smaller and lighter.

Wrong. The latest smartphone could not run the Axe Fx algorithms at all. The Axe Fx has specialized DSP processors that crunch audio signals at high efficiency. Yes, on paper the figures may seem lower, but DSP chips are highly optimized to do one thing and one thing well.

Yeah - this can be very confusing to some folks. If I have a 3.6 Ghz home PC why can't my Axe "go that fast"?

The difference is DSPs (digital signal processors) versus a general purpose CPU. DSP micro architecture and coding is designed from the ground up for real-time signal processing with *absolute minimal* latency. They are purpose built for this function. CPUs on the other hand are very much "jack of all trades" devices. They can play Halo or crunch a spreadsheet but complex convolved multivariate polynomial real time manipulation of a data stream isnt what they are designed for. Personally I've never been able to deal with the latency of playing through even a wicked fast computer in a live setting.

Will Moore's Law eventually make the general purpose CPU work as well as a DSP for sound and allow ultra low latency real time processing? Sure - eventually I believe it will. And I honestly think that day isn't too far off! When that day comes and Cliff can hitch the AXE FX 4 (or whatever) to Intel's innovation curve then the sky will truly be the limit.

Disconnector

agree!

back on topic, no wait list yet?

Another way to say : "You can't expect a tractor to be as fast as a Ferrari but I wish you good luck if you try to move a tractor-trailor with a Ferrari!"

Back
Top Bottom