AX8 and the VU meter

thegrizman

Inspired
What is the level I should be setting my patches in the VU meter. I plan on setting rhythm patches with some headroom for boosting solos. I use AustinBuddy presets but have tweaked some. Should they just have the same dB reading? I plan to use a decibel reading app also.

I am playing a live gig with five patches for about 18 songs. They sound great so far with the band just want to fine tune.

Thanks,

I set all my scenes / presets so they are on or around the line on the VU meter. On the clean sounds I look for when the transient peaks are hitting the line. I then have enough headroom for a 3db boost for solos.

With the output knob on the AX8 set to 10 o’clock that’s around unity gain.

With the output knob on the AX8 set to 10 o’clock that’s around unity gain.

I saw an AustinBuddy video about proper volume leveling between units and I understood from there that unity gain on AX8 is reached when the knob is full on 100% (as opposed to AXE FX II units).

Could someone shed some light on this point?

I just found out that this is only valid for output 1 and only in case you set the output to -10dB nominal level.

If you compare the vu-meter of the ax8 with a vu-meter of a console that is connected to output 1 (same scale and units obvious) you should see the same results on both, if not you need to adjust the level knob to get there.

Output 2 behaves different seems. Echoing out1 to out 2 I need to set the level knob 2 to 50% to have the meters in the same level.

Hope that was helping.

I probably should have elaborated a bit further. By unity gain I meant the AX8 is hitting around -20 to -15db on my FOH mixer (Behringer XR18). Which is roughly around unity gain on a digital mixer. That’s with the settings I described earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom