AX8 and Mesa Roadster as Power Amp

Hi people! I am new on this Fractal World!
I have a mesa Roadster Head and 2x12 Cab.
Would like to know if is possible to use the Roadster only as a Power Amp.
Possible i mean......if is a nice and clever solution...
Or the best way is to get a power amp for Cab simulations?
Regards from Brazil.

Hi mate,

Welcome. The short answer is yes, you can. In fact I did that with my Axe FX-ii for a while there with my EVH 5153 50w amp, and it sounded great. In the same time, you can run that setup in 4CM (there's plenty of threads in this forum to find more specific info on that), so you do have options.

I'm currently running my AX8 into a VHT power amp + Mesa 2x12 cab and it sounds really good.

Hi mate,

Welcome. The short answer is yes, you can. In fact I did that with my Axe FX-ii for a while there with my EVH 5153 50w amp, and it sounded great. In the same time, you can run that setup in 4CM (there's plenty of threads in this forum to find more specific info on that), so you do have options.

I'm currently running my AX8 into a VHT power amp + Mesa 2x12 cab and it sounds really good.
Cool Georgy! It sound to good already! Thanks for the feedback!

Hey Marcos,
When using your Mesa 2x12, then make sure you leave out the cab block, you won't need it as your Mesa cabinet already has it's own unique sound.

There is also a trick to the amp models when using a poweramp like the Roadster, and that is to turn supply sag to 0 in the amp sim.
You can see some conversation about why over here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/sag.50839/

You may be already aware, but running your AX8 into the Mesa poweramp and cabinet will mean that many models sound the same.
If you're looking for an authentic fender or vox tone, you might be left wanting through this set up.
On the other hand, most of the Mesa models should sound really good.. and we have a heap of them - Triaxis, Mark II, Mark IV, new and old Rectifiers, Lonestar, etc.

In other words, amps that sound good through your Mesa 212 in the real world, should also sound just as good in the AX8 world.

I love my roadster 2x12 combo, but I do not miss carrying that 100pound monster around.

Good luck and welcome to the otherside.

You can also turn off cab modelling and power amp modelling in the global menu. It'll be a great sounding rig that way.

I have played and still play my AX8 through my Mesa Roadster in both 4CM and directly into the effects return.

When playing through the effects return, I have found it sounds best when cab modeling is off and power amp modeling is on. I don't know if I was using tube or diode rectification, so you will want to experiment there.

When running in 4CM, I use sounds without an amp or cab block and just revel in the Mesa goodness with outstanding Fractal drives/comps/wahs in front and everything else in the loop.

The versatility to use the AX8 direct, in 4CM, and through the effects loop is exactly why I sold all my Eventide stomps and bought the AX8.

Thanks people for all the
I have played and still play my AX8 through my Mesa Roadster in both 4CM and directly into the effects return.

When playing through the effects return, I have found it sounds best when cab modeling is off and power amp modeling is on. I don't know if I was using tube or diode rectification, so you will want to experiment there.

When running in 4CM, I use sounds without an amp or cab block and just revel in the Mesa goodness with outstanding Fractal drives/comps/wahs in front and everything else in the loop.

The versatility to use the AX8 direct, in 4CM, and through the effects loop is exactly why I sold all my Eventide stomps and bought the AX8.
cool! What do you guys think about Electro Harmonix Magnum 44

Your Roadster as the power amp will sound better than the Magnum 44. Great backup option to have on hand but with the roadster and ax8 you already have that built in (if AX8 goes down you have the roadster and vice versa).

Also if you are not running direct at all and mic'ing up the roadster I would set the low & High frequency resonance on the speaker page ( in amp block) to 0 for a better tone. Disregard if you run direct.

Back
Top Bottom