AX8 and iPad

The Yahama BT has to be plugged it at all times. Mine failed on me and Yamaha was impossible to reach via the website. I got a new one and it has the new firmware, making it unusable. And there’s no way to downgrade the firmware. Having said all that, I always keep my iPad plugged in using extra long cords, and I just got a lightning cable splitter so I can run USB and power at the same time. The FracPad app itself is incredible, but the BT can be finicky and I’ve had issues losing connection during a gig. Hopefully, Yamaha will work with FracPad on a patch for their firmware. Doing a gig without FracPad after you’ve gotten used to having it is a drag. It’s so essential for me on a gig.

This is bad news indeed: If i buy the UD-BT01 now, will it have the new firmware? and there's no way to downgrade to previous firmwares?
It won't have 1.0.5... it may have 1.0.0 to 1.0.4, depending on how old was the stock...
Hopefully Yamaha will release 1.0.6 soon, they're working on their bug since nearly 2 months :/

The Yahama BT has to be plugged it at all times. Mine failed on me and Yamaha was impossible to reach via the website. I got a new one and it has the new firmware, making it unusable. And there’s no way to downgrade the firmware. Having said all that, I always keep my iPad plugged in using extra long cords, and I just got a lightning cable splitter so I can run USB and power at the same time. The FracPad app itself is incredible, but the BT can be finicky and I’ve had issues losing connection during a gig. Hopefully, Yamaha will work with FracPad on a patch for their firmware. Doing a gig without FracPad after you’ve gotten used to having it is a drag. It’s so essential for me on a gig.
Which firmware has your new one ? Is it a UD or a MD ?

Be sure to NOT update your UD-BT01 to firmware 1.0.5 (1.0.3 or 1.0.4 are fine)
I've been trying to update the firmware at the UD's app request but it never gets past "80%" in the progress bar. However, the app doesn't seem to want to allow me to stay on firmware V1.0.4. Arrggg!!!
I'm going to try again tonight.

Thanks Al, I wish it was that simple. Now my UD is in limbo. It won't update and I can't go back to 1.0.4 either. I'm just going to order a usb dongle for my iPad and go wired. Modern problems :)

@AlGrenadine I am using FracPad III on my iPhone for now and love it! I ran into an issue (not caused by FracPad) with my AX8 resetting the system (OUT 1 and OUT 2 eq, function switches, I/O). I love having the ability to restore presets with FracPad III, but it appears that it will not restore system settings. Is that in the works?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom