AX8 and Eventide H9 Integration

RossE

Inspired
I bought a H9 to run in the FX Loop of my FX8. I did this primarily to get around AX8 effect block/CPU limitations, and be able to get the big Timefactor/Strymon/Hillsong sounds easily and without trade-offs.

Well, so far I'm not impressed with the results.
The H9 sounds seem a bit flat and boring coming after the cab block in the grid. I can't get the AX8 to slave to tempo from the H9.

So.....if anybody has these two devices playing well together and sounding good, I would really appreciate some tips, tricks, best practice setup detail.

1) How do you have the MIDI configuration setup on each end?
2) Where are you placing the H9 FX Loop block in the grid to get the best results?
3) How did you get the two devices sharing tempo time?
4) Anything else....tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

You need MIDI Out on AX8 to go to MIDI in on H9, and MIDI In on AX8 to go to MIDI Out on H9. Make sure the H9 is set to respond to a different MIDI channel from the AX8's global MIDI channel (so you don't get loopback issues).

The clock issue has to be on the H9 side, as the AX8 starts responding to clock as soon as it sees it. I just tested this with Mainstage without configuring anything on the AX8.

If you are running your amp fairy clean, you might consider putting the FX Loop before the amp. Or at least before the cab. This is a subtle detail I'm struggling with a bit as well. Theory says that all your time-based effects belong after the amp, but the sounds we're hearing on any P&W album are full pedalboards into the front of amps. Often, not even effects loops are used. The first place I had a "DUH!" moment with this was with the MultiDelay Plex Shift. It's shifting some notes up several octaves. It sounds pretty cool after the cab - but it sounds much closer to Strymon-style shimmer effects when placed before the cab.

Sorry for the delayed follow-up. Been out of pocket for a few days.

Thanks for the info philipacamaniac. I have the MIDI basics working between my AX8 and H9 now. One objective was to have some of my AX8 presets send a PC change to the H9 when the AX8 footswitch is pressed. That is working fine. H9 pitch effects in the FXLoop block are working good for me inserted after the cab block. H9 comps are working well inserted as 1st ot 2nd block in the grid. Delays I will play with next. The H9 Eq Compressor - Flat Eq preset made the difference on my acoustic. Just wasn't getting an acoustic sound I was happy with out of the AX8 by itself. For the 1st time at rehearsal this week everyone in the band commented on how good my acoustic sounded, so no placebo.

The remaining bit is to get bpm sync between the two working. What I want the setup to do is, have the H9 set as the master but use the stnd AX8 F3 foot switch set bpm for both units. That way I would have one switch to set bpm on both units at the same time, or just local for native only AX8 presets.
To make this work (if it is possible), I'm not sure on the following:
1) Should the AX8 be set to MIDI Thru ON or OFF
2) Should the H9 MIDI Output be set to Transmit, Thru, Thru+Clock or Merge.
3) My thinking is I could just set the CC# for Tap Tempo to the same value (14) on both units.

Any experience with this or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry for the delayed follow-up. Been out of pocket for a few days.

Thanks for the info philipacamaniac. I have the MIDI basics working between my AX8 and H9 now. One objective was to have some of my AX8 presets send a PC change to the H9 when the AX8 footswitch is pressed. That is working fine. H9 pitch effects in the FXLoop block are working good for me inserted after the cab block. H9 comps are working well inserted as 1st ot 2nd block in the grid. Delays I will play with next. The H9 Eq Compressor - Flat Eq preset made the difference on my acoustic. Just wasn't getting an acoustic sound I was happy with out of the AX8 by itself. For the 1st time at rehearsal this week everyone in the band commented on how good my acoustic sounded, so no placebo.

The remaining bit is to get bpm sync between the two working. What I want the setup to do is, have the H9 set as the master but use the stnd AX8 F3 foot switch set bpm for both units. That way I would have one switch to set bpm on both units at the same time, or just local for native only AX8 presets.
To make this work (if it is possible), I'm not sure on the following:
1) Should the AX8 be set to MIDI Thru ON or OFF
2) Should the H9 MIDI Output be set to Transmit, Thru, Thru+Clock or Merge.
3) My thinking is I could just set the CC# for Tap Tempo to the same value (14) on both units.

Any experience with this or suggestions would be appreciated.

You won't be able to use the AX8 footswitch to tap tempo and have it sync to the H9. You'd need to do the tapping on the H9 as it is the clock master. The AX8 won't send clock and won't send any CCs, including a CC for tap. It will receive though, so do all tapping with the H9.

You need MIDI Out on AX8 to go to MIDI in on H9, and MIDI In on AX8 to go to MIDI Out on H9. Make sure the H9 is set to respond to a different MIDI channel from the AX8's global MIDI channel (so you don't get loopback issues).

The clock issue has to be on the H9 side, as the AX8 starts responding to clock as soon as it sees it. I just tested this with Mainstage without configuring anything on the AX8.

If you are running your amp fairy clean, you might consider putting the FX Loop before the amp. Or at least before the cab. This is a subtle detail I'm struggling with a bit as well. Theory says that all your time-based effects belong after the amp, but the sounds we're hearing on any P&W album are full pedalboards into the front of amps. Often, not even effects loops are used. The first place I had a "DUH!" moment with this was with the MultiDelay Plex Shift. It's shifting some notes up several octaves. It sounds pretty cool after the cab - but it sounds much closer to Strymon-style shimmer effects when placed before the cab.
I have been trying to connect AX8 with H9 without success.
Could you be so kind to describe me the cable settings and AX8/H9 parameters settings?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

I have been trying to connect AX8 with H9 without success.
Could you be so kind to describe me the cable settings and AX8/H9 parameters settings?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

I don’t have an H9 so I won’t be able to help with the H9-specifics of the equation. If @RossE is still around on the forum, perhaps he’d have a tip or two to provide?

Back
Top Bottom