AX8 and ARES....

That's what I'm talking about... There's no need for any wild tangent to deviate to. This thread is for AX8 and Ares discussion.

Back on topic, I agree the primary focus is releasing the FM3. My guess is once released and fully tested 'in the wild' maybe we'll see Ares 1.00 (FM3) for the AX8.
Exactly! Fractal is hard at work on the FM3. And the longer we patiently wait, the more goodies we could possibly see in any future updates :)

I just need an Electric Mistress Flanger ans MXr flanger in my AX8 😁..... maybe a ADA MP1 😁.New flangers in the axe III are incredible.

I must say that I think AX8 is great as is. I am not even sure I really understand what people mean, when they say they want ARES for the AX8. ARES is the new unified firmware architecture. It works on AXEIII and FM3. The AxeFX II (and the AX8) got some of the modelling bits developed for the III. This is great, but although AxeFX II is on 'ARES', it is still not part of the unified firmware architecture. It got a final send-off firmware with lots of goodies.

I am all for a final firmware for AX8 (Hey, it really should go to 11), but such a final firmware should (IMO) focus on being rock solid rather than all kinds of new features. There are a few major bugs reported in the FW10.01 thread that should be addressed, and then, if they throw in a few modelling or FX updates that is great too.

I must say that I think AX8 is great as is. I am not even sure I really understand what people mean, when they say they want ARES for the AX8. ARES is the new unified firmware architecture. It works on AXEIII and FM3. The AxeFX II (and the AX8) got some of the modelling bits developed for the III. This is great, but although AxeFX II is on 'ARES', it is still not part of the unified firmware architecture. It got a final send-off firmware with lots of goodies.

I am all for a final firmware for AX8 (Hey, it really should go to 11), but such a final firmware should (IMO) focus on being rock solid rather than all kinds of new features. There are a few major bugs reported in the FW10.01 thread that should be addressed, and then, if they throw in a few modelling or FX updates that is great too.
So just let the AX8 be end of life FM3 almost here right? My Marshalls go to 11 not the FAS modeler FW... I don’t get the community push for it to be on a different FW, unless it unlocks better performance and reduces CPU and substantially increase it’s performance otherwise it’s dead end hardware right? It’s a monolithic device it’s never going to be out of demand I suspect... that’s my opinion....

I'll just say this:

When the Axe Fx III and the first revisions of the ARES modeling algorithms (yes, ARES is the new unified FW architecture but at the same time it's the new generation of modeling algorithms, just as diferent as Quantum was to G3, G2 etc...) first came into the scene, people compared it to both the II and AX8 on Quantum 10 (that was the rev that "incorporated some of the ARES modeling algorithms") and the differences where so minimum that people were reluctant to even think on selling their II's to upgrade to the newest boy in the family. Then it came the ARES 2.00 port to the Axe FX II and people were raving about how much alive and punchier it felt compared to Quantum (The AX8 didn't got any of the 1.00 and 2.00 revs of the ARES ports, that's the revs we're discussing here).

As I see, it was after Ares 5.00 where the Axe FX III really took off and left both the Axe Fx II and the AX8 behind...

Don't get me wrong, the AX8 still sounds great but... I've just played for about 3 hours with the Axe Fx III with FW 12.03 and then switched to the AX8. Man... you can really feel the difference, OK I get that maybe more than one will not find so much difference in an A/B blind comparison between two recordings, BUT just under the fingertips I felt something was REALLY missing from the experience. The upcoming FM3 promises a seamless switching experience between both units and if there's a possibility (as small as it can be) for the AX8 (and to an extent the Axe Fx II) to narrow the gap, then I'm 100% rooting for it. If not, that's OK too, just based on my experience with both units as of today, I may be considering a FM3 once it hits the streets, but in order to get that, sadly the AX8 will have to go unless something good happens to my pocket and I can justify keeping it as a backup, LOL.

Watching the AxeIII updates, I do miss the being able to learn and hear the changes that Cliff makes to a firmware as I use the Ax8. the updates that we got were a great learning tool for sure. Most guitarists outside of the fractal continuum almost speak another language, or maybe it’s us that speak Fractilian...

Not looking for continued updates here, everything goes EOL including me :) ......just a unified platform for now with AF2....

Back
Top Bottom