AX8: Almost bought...then I saw Tyler Grund's SRV Patch. Should I go Axe FxII?

marshamellow

Very new here. Have never used a fractal unit before. Considering an AX8 for home studio use as well the occasional gig (very occasional). From what I have seen so far, the AX8 should suit my needs fairly well, although I'm not 100% sure I wouldn't be affected by its CPU limitations, as I would probably enjoy experimenting with some of the ambient effects.

I was aware that you can't run 2 amps at a time with the AX8, and this didn't seem like much of a problem until I saw Tyler Grund's SRV patch video. ( )
That's a tone I wouldn't want to miss out on. Does this mean I actually WILL miss not being able to run 2 amps at a time?

So now I'm confused. Perhaps I should be looking at the full Axe Fx instead of the AX8? I was originally drawn more to the AX8 because of the ease of use at a gig, not to mention the price. In comparison, it seems like it would be much more expensive, and much more complicated to play live with the Axe Fx. The reality is that I rarely gig though, anymore.

Any advice? Thanks.

the axe fx is a lot more machine, but you should be able to get real close to that tone with out running 2 amps and cabs. the way that firm wares have been changing, that preset may not sound the same either.

I suggest you consider how you will be mostly using the Fractal. The Axe FX is a lot more expensive and has more robust features, but both units sound amazing. If you are primarily using the Fractal for gigging then the AX8 might be a better choice. I have an Axe FX and gigged with it for several years (still have it). I ended up getting an AX8. It is much easier to use for gigging.

As for the SRV preset, I would personally never buy a device just to build one preset. Yes, you can build the SRV 2-amp preset with the Axe FX. Several users have built a SRV preset using 2 amps and they sound killer. You cannot build a 2-amp rig with the AX8, but you can certainly build presets that ape the SRV tone with the AX8. So, as a friendly suggestion, give some thought to the overall use you require, and then purchase accordingly. I'm confident that you will be very pleased with how well either unit works for you. I started using FAS gear back in 2010, and have never enjoyed a piece of gear more. Just my $0.02.

Also remember, that you will need a "midi controller" with the AxeFX. AX8, it's already there and laid out perfectly. I have owned all the axefxII's at one time or another. I did fool around with 2 amps because it wa there.

But I do not miss it at all with my Ax8. Of course, either way, you win...........

Last edited:
The real question should be do I want to spend twice as much to cop a tone? Also you want to take into consideration that the other half of that tone is the I/R and strat he is using, not just the Axe FX or you can default to the tone is in his fingers... :D

The AxeFX in a home studio environment is a colossal bit of kit and is better than the AX8 in that environment. Taking the AxeFX on the road to gig with it is another matter because of the need for a midi foot controller. Still ...... whichever you choose it's likely to be a lot less hassle than dragging a full or half stack around.

Wish FAS would hurry up and invent the product where I could sit on my ass at home and play live in a remote place at the same time.

The other thing is - you've joined the forum - you've asked the fatal question - you're f**ked either way - FAS have the products to suit all occasions you are hooked and are going to buy Fractal .... it's now down to how much you want to spend and do you want some extra exercise by making maybe an additional trip to the car when setting up live :)

(Oh ...... and that little green screen glowing in the rack behind you is always a cool thing lol)

Don't forget that the Axe Fx can also be your interface for recording your guitar, which gets you directly into your DAW. Having the DI and "wet" tracks allows for easy re-amping, too.

There are also features in the Axe Fx that are not available on the AX8, such as the Cab block preamp.

As far as more complex presets, even the Axe Fx can be pushed into the CPU limit depending on what you are doing.

I've been using an Axe Fx mkII since 2013 for gigging and recently updated to an XL+. I have no concerns. My setup time is pretty quick with a front of rack panel for all my cable connections and a single XLR cable to connect and power my MFC.

If I had to, I'm sure I could be perfectly happy with an AX8 but I definitely prefer having power and flexibility of the Axe Fx.

Of course, it is more expensive :)

Of course, either way, you win...........
This is the point! I originally typed a longer response, but this says it. If you're not gigging anymore, I'd go Axe FX personally, but either is a win.

Last edited:
I think they did Max. It's called my bedroom.
You have a remotely located bedroom? I knew you were moving house .... but I didn't realise it was literally the actual building room by room. Hope it's a fairly short drive to the bathroom?

LOL Max. Actually, my entire house is pretty remote including the bedroom. Thankfully the bathroom is just a short cruise. Keeps it easy on the gas.

One trick I have been thinking about to get the clean+distorted mix is to use a drive pedal in front of the amp with a lower mix, like 20% or something to get clean cutting plus fuzzy. This would be a potential hack for the AX8 to emulate a similar thing with a single amp block. Live in a band mix where you are not the dominant sound, and impact of different venues, probably wouldn't be that big of a deal unless you are a perfectionist. If that is the case, then AX II XL+ and MFC-101 or a more flexible midi controller gives you more options. Only you know your expectations vs. budget.

started with AxeFX II XL and MFC-101, and since I got the Axe8 I haven't used it because I'm still trying to dial sounds on Axe8. I should probably sell my II XL but I am keeping it in case I decide that I need the power after all with the sacrifice for portability.

To the original poster, I am in the exact same situation. I was sure the AX8 would be for me but the more research I do, I seem to be favouring the AXE II/MFC. I don't do a lot of gigging either, so it would be mostly home use. I just love love the front interface on the AX8. Years ago when I had the mk1, I had always envisioned the front panel having that same type of setup. It's very intuitive!

Don't forget that the Axe Fx can also be your interface for recording your guitar, which gets you directly into your DAW. Having the DI and "wet" tracks allows for easy re-amping, too.
Not to nitpick, but you can get direct digital DI/amped tracks with the AX8 too, you just have to set up patches specifically for that (with the amp on the left and the DI right or vise versa) and record via spdif. This is how I do it; I have a whole two banks (63 and 64) at the end of my ax8 set up with just amps and cabs and some small basics (comp, OD perhaps)

Works great, and although I've only reamped maybe five times in my life, the DI track is useful for many things besides that, editing and comping being probably the primary one, as you can actually see transients rather than a block of sound lol.

Not to nitpick, but you can get direct digital DI/amped tracks with the AX8 too, you just have to set up patches specifically for that (with the amp on the left and the DI right or vise versa) and record via spdif. This is how I do it; I have a whole two banks (63 and 64) at the end of my ax8 set up with just amps and cabs and some small basics (comp, OD perhaps)

Works great, and although I've only reamped maybe five times in my life, the DI track is useful for many things besides that, editing and comping being probably the primary one, as you can actually see transients rather than a block of sound lol.
Good info... Although you still need an interface for SPDIF, right? With the Axe Fx you can use the USB as the interface, you get stereo wet and dry tracks, and you monitor via the Axe Fx so no latency on the guitar. I guess SPDIF probably reduces latency since no A/D and D/A conversion?

That's an interesting vid. I'd bet you could get darn close with a single amp. Might give it a shot tonight.

Lots of good information in this thread, but I think it's worth reiterating that there's a very high chance that Tyler's preset is NOT going to sound the same with your system and your hands. There have been plenty of firmware changes since that video, but even if you loaded up the old firmware that was Tyler was on, you're probably not going to get the same exact result.

Basing your purchasing decision on other people's presets probably isn't wise. That said, with some experience I'm sure you'll be able to create something that sounds incredible whether you choose to go with the Axe-FX II or the AX8.

Lots of good information in this thread, but I think it's worth reiterating that there's a very high chance that Tyler's preset is NOT going to sound the same with your system and your hands. There have been plenty of firmware changes since that video, but even if you loaded up the old firmware that was Tyler was on, you're probably not going to get the same exact result.

Basing your purchasing decision on other people's presets probably isn't wise. That said, with some experience I'm sure you'll be able to create something that sounds incredible whether you choose to go with the Axe-FX II or the AX8.
Totally agree with you! A lot of Tyler's sound comes from his hands! Excellent player!

Yea I tried it.. .Sounded nothing like it on my Ax8 7.0 using the 1 clean Vibroverb AB amp. . The cleans sounded like it but adding the TS 808 od's I didn't like it much at all. I'm not really a fan of adding a TS to a clean tube amp and even less of a fan of it on here. . SO , that was great watching it , and boy did it sound good, but nah, didn't work on my Ax8. . . (Keep in mind I didn't use his IR's/CABs ,etc and I'm using a Guitar speaker setup (with Scumbacks) . . . . With all that said, I don't really have any issue programming my own stuff, and I learned about some Xformer parameters I previously had never touched, so it was a positive experience watching his kickass video! :) Eric

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom