AX8 acting crazy!

BBN

Fractal Fanatic
At a gig right now so hard to search the forum on my phone.
Anyone ever had all the lights on their AX8 go crazy, just blinking all over in all random order. Just about to go on and all of a sudden its lighting up like a Christmas tree and it didn't stop the entire set. I have 4 presets and no matter which one I'm on, same behavior. Rebooted 5 times....sometimes it will act normal after boot, for about 10 seconds.
And along with the crazy light show, the buttons are sometimes activating (preset or scene.changes randomly...wah pops on just to say hello).

Anyone have a suggestion to resolve now? Obviously I'll contact support in the morning.

Thanks.

Interesting question.
I did make a quick volume adjustment and hit save and enter. Just pressed those buttons a few times to make sure they're not stuck.....let's see what happens.

Should have mentioned. On firmware 10.

Bad power...
Is that possible? I had my AX8 and X32-rack plugged into the same distro and the X32 was perfect. I run these two units off the same distro and circuit, and the same club, once a month, since I got my AX8....which was when they first came out.

I recorded a video on my phone, will upload later.

Is that possible? I had my AX8 and X32-rack plugged into the same distro and the X32 was perfect. I run these two units off the same distro and circuit, and the same club, once a month, since I got my AX8....which was when they first came out.

I recorded a video on my phone, will upload later.
Just an idea... But you never know.

my guess bad/insuffucient power as well...my II has done this before when plugged into the same circuit as other high draw devices.

Not the power.
In a different club tonight and it's still acting up.
Mid set I swapped my power cable and plugged into the same power drop as my other guitar player who is also using an AX8. His is working fine. Mine likes to turn on whatever lights it pleases...then off....then on.

Contacted support yesterday,....just waiting it out.

Well, by the end of tonight's gig, almost nothing was working. This thing is a brick at the moment.
None of the footswitches would work, my display was 8 empty boxes, the outputs were showing as pegged....but it was stuck on one preset, so I just played out the set with that one preset. I rebooted after the gig and same result. 8 blank boxes, foot switches did nothing....output lights pegged.
Hope it is just a loose cable....but one cable that can?:
- make the entire display blank
- make all the foot switch lights flash in random crazy order
- activate the switch/button functions without being touched
- change scenes for no reason
- turn the tuner on for no reason
- make me sing out of key (ok, maybe that has more to do with me)
That would be one important cable!

It's odd that it got worse and worse as the night goes on. That would make me think heat is causing the issue?
Like I said, I'm on V10....hopefully nobody else is experiencing this.

Hope I hear from support on Monday, I've got a pile of gigs this month and my other option is to borrow my buddy's Kemper.
(I'm not going back to dragging out a tube rig!)

It could very well be one or more loose cables. All your symptoms are things that are external to the main circuit board, and that main board kept on processing as it should. Best of luck for a quick recovery.

It could very well be one or more loose cables. All your symptoms are things that are external to the main circuit board, and that main board kept on processing as it should. Best of luck for a quick recovery.
Spoke to support and they stated it may be an internal connection issue (as you noted). I'm dropping it by Fractal HQ tomorrow for service.
Would love for that to be the issue.

One interesting thing that I noticed last night (that I believe has to be software related).
By the end of my gig, all of my 'blocks' in the display window were blank, and note of my footswitches were working.
Last night I connected to AX8 Edit and looked at my 'footswitches'...all were 'empty'.
So somehow, while the unit was acting up, it erased all of my footswitch assignments.
It also flipped the setting that enables the footswitches to activate on the down stroke rather than up.
As well, now when I change a preset, it displays the large preset name in the window for a few seconds, before showing the blocks (I know that's a setting, just not sure what/where it is, as my unit has never displayed the large preset name upon changing it.)

So something 'reset' in the unit.

Of course I left the unit on for 2+ hours last night and nothing happened.
Going to leave it on overnight tonight, and bring it by Fractal tomorrow.

I'm gonna need one.

Thankfully I took cell phone videos of the weird behavior so I can show to the tech team.
"I'm not crazy, there is a UFO right there!"

so what was the issue?

I went to Fractal HQ and they took my AX8 apart. I could not recreate the issue while I was there (of course).
I showed them the many videos on my phone that I took of it acting crazy, so they could see I was not (totally) crazy.
They said that they'd never seen anything like that happen.

They replaced my ribbon cables and power supply as those were the suspect components. Outstanding support!

So far, so good.

On the second night of my unit acting crazy, something 'reset' in the unit (during the middle of me playing the third set).
I say this because all of the footswitch assignments suddenly disappeared. When you looked at the window (where you'd normally see what your footswitches are assigned to do), they were all blank. And when I took it home that night and plugged it into AX8 Edit - the footswitch assignments were totally blank. I'm not saying it was firmware related....but it certainly seemed to be software, not hardware causing the issue. (I don't know of any combination of footswitch stomping that could cause all footswitch assignments to erase..?)

Anyway, they changed those parts, reloaded the firmware, and I've been good ever since.

Are you experiencing something similar?

I went to Fractal HQ and they took my AX8 apart. I could not recreate the issue while I was there (of course).
I showed them the many videos on my phone that I took of it acting crazy, so they could see I was not (totally) crazy.
They said that they'd never seen anything like that happen.

They replaced my ribbon cables and power supply as those were the suspect components. Outstanding support!

So far, so good.

On the second night of my unit acting crazy, something 'reset' in the unit (during the middle of me playing the third set).
I say this because all of the footswitch assignments suddenly disappeared. When you looked at the window (where you'd normally see what your footswitches are assigned to do), they were all blank. And when I took it home that night and plugged it into AX8 Edit - the footswitch assignments were totally blank. I'm not saying it was firmware related....but it certainly seemed to be software, not hardware causing the issue. (I don't know of any combination of footswitch stomping that could cause all footswitch assignments to erase..?)

Anyway, they changed those parts, reloaded the firmware, and I've been good ever since.

Are you experiencing something similar?
No brother ,nothing that crazy; the footswitches just won't work ; if i reboot it works fine for a while ; Fractal contacted me today ; they want me to do a reset ; I'm a bit concerned to do that; i have a lot of presets i don't want to lose; i have band practice tomorrow night and thursday with my other band ; i'm hoping it will work fine ,otherwise i will do a reset ; thanx for the response ; i will let the forum know the end result

Back
Top Bottom