AX8 AC20 -vs- Axe FX3 AC20 ....... anyone else noticed a big difference (?)

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all !

Finally decided to " port over " my AC 20 AX8 FW 10.01 preset to my Axe 3 FW 12.08 PB 3.

The preset in question is AC20 based with some simple drives on it and a stock cab

It has 3 Scenes => 1. Clean => 2. Pushed Clean 3. SOLO => see attached AX8 Preset File -> it has been built with and for my Telecaster

I used Fractool to do the porting.

It worked like a charm - I manually checked the settings - everything seems identical - BUT .... whilst with the AX8 this preset sounds fine, the Axe 3 ported-over version is ultra bright / thin / no body etc.... its an ultra bright sizzley mess ?!?

Can some here who have an Axe 3 port-this preset over and tell my how it goes ? - it would be much appreciated :)

I know the modelling in the Axe 3 with current FW is many steps ahead of the AX8 10.01 FW, but even allowing for that I cant imagine the tonal difference is this big and obvious.

Many thanks in advance,
Ben

Attachments

• AC20-AX8-CLEAN-TELE.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 5
Haven’t checked your preset, but I noticed that conversion does occasionally pick another cab. The iii has a huge number of varieties. You might try to check that.

Hi all !

Finally decided to " port over " my AC 20 AX8 FW 10.01 preset to my Axe 3 FW 12.08 PB 3.

The preset in question is AC20 based with some simple drives on it and a stock cab

It has 3 Scenes => 1. Clean => 2. Pushed Clean 3. SOLO => see attached AX8 Preset File -> it has been built with and for my Telecaster

I used Fractool to do the porting.

It worked like a charm - I manually checked the settings - everything seems identical - BUT .... whilst with the AX8 this preset sounds fine, the Axe 3 ported-over version is ultra bright / thin / no body etc.... its an ultra bright sizzley mess ?!?

Can some here who have an Axe 3 port-this preset over and tell my how it goes ? - it would be much appreciated :)

I know the modelling in the Axe 3 with current FW is many steps ahead of the AX8 10.01 FW, but even allowing for that I cant imagine the tonal difference is this big and obvious.

Many thanks in advance,
Ben
I would reset the amp block cuz the algorithms and a lot of advanced parameters' default values have changed since FW Q10, it doesn't make sense to just copy it from the ax8 preset.

PS: the drive block has changed a lot too so I would re-tweak that too

Different amp modeling versions are going to sound different.

You might have noticed the same thing coming from ax8 v3 to ax8 v10.01, for example.

Reset the blocks, tweak to taste, enjoy.
It'll take a few minutes - but it's worth it.

AC20 is probably the most straight forward amp, i would recommend you to follow Leon video 5 minute tone and just tweak as per your preferred settings.

I actually filmed a quick one yesterday with some youk audio IRs

Haven’t checked your preset, but I noticed that conversion does occasionally pick another cab. The iii has a huge number of varieties. You might try to check that.
The conversion should use the same IR slot numbers, I think.

If those are user IR slots then your device might have different IRs in there.

That is not an issue with conversion...

The conversion should use the same IR slot numbers, I think.

If those are user IR slots then your device might have different IRs in there.

That is not an issue with conversion...
True, but the IIXlL and the Ax8 have completely different sets of IRs than the III. Or does fractool somehow know where to find the IRs from the AX8 in the new and much longer list?
Im just guessing, I had to adapt some of my old II presets to the III and I also had to change the cab.

True, but the IIXlL and the Ax8 have completely different sets of IRs than the III. Or does fractool somehow know where to find the IRs from the AX8 in the new and much longer list?
Im just guessing, I had to adapt some of my old II presets to the III and I also had to change the cab.
It should be possible as the Legacy bank in the Axe Fx III contains all the factory IRs of the Axe Fx II, and according to this link those are the same on AX8.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list#Axe-Fx_III_and_FM3

If it isn't what is done then I would bet @AlGrenadine could make that change pretty simply.

Back
Top Bottom