AX8 4CM not working...help!

I think i've tried it all....and just can't get any sound with the 4CM. I'm starting to think i have a bad unit.

Guitar > AX8 In 1
AX8 Main Output 1 > Amp FX Return
Amp FX Send > AX8 FX Return
AX8 FX Send > Amp main input

Power Amp Modeling Off in Global Config
Cabinet Modeling Bypassed in Global Config

Main Levels (Out 1 and Out 2) at 100%

No Amps or Cabinets in layout w/ FXLoop enabled

I've tried 2 different fender amplifiers, each w/ an always active FX loop. There is no sound at all, I can't think of anything else to check.

Sure, here it is. At this point I've removed everything but the FXLoop. Originally I had a compressor/drive before the FXLoop and a delay/reverb after, but that was when I was ambitious. Now I'm just hoping for sound.

Attachments

• AX8 4CM.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 7
Sure, here it is. At this point I've removed everything but the FXLoop. Originally I had a compressor/drive before the FXLoop and a delay/reverb after, but that was when I was ambitious. Now I'm just hoping for sound.

In the INPUT-GATE, the noise gate threshold is set to maximum or 0.0. Turn the gate down to at least -70.0 and you should be fine

.AX8 4CM Help.png

I think i've tried it all....and just can't get any sound with the 4CM. I'm starting to think i have a bad unit.

Guitar > AX8 In 1
AX8 Main Output 1 > Amp FX Return
Amp FX Send > AX8 FX Return
AX8 FX Send > Amp main input

Shouldn't that be:
Guitar > AX8 in 1 (instrument)
AX8 Main output (Left) > amp INPUT.
AX8 out 2 (fx send left) to amp fx return
AX8 in 2 (fx rtn left) to amp fx send

EDIT: I didn't see the noise gate treshold.

Shouldn't that be:
Guitar > AX8 in 1 (instrument)
AX8 Main output (Left) > amp INPUT.
AX8 out 2 (fx send left) to amp fx return
AX8 in 2 (fx rtn left) to amp fx send
Not on the AX8. The FX Loop block is inserted between the OUT 1 and IN 2 (fx return) making OUT 2 (fx send) the main output.

THE FOUR-CABLE METHOD
The AX8 FX Loop (p. 61) can also be used to create a four-cable-method (“4CM”) rig. This highly integrated setup places the AX8 both “in front of” your amplifier’s preamp section (where it replaces traditional stompboxes) and in its effects loop, where “post” effects can be used.
To use the four-cable-method, you will need to create special presets where AMP and CAB blocks are replaced by the FX LOOP block. With your guitar connected to IN1 INSTRUMENT, signal hits the AX8 first and passes through any effects that you want in front of the amp—compressor, drive, wah, and the like. Then, the FX LOOP block is used to “insert” the preamp of the actual amplifier on the grid. After a round trip out and back, the preamp signal is then processed by your “Post” effects on the grid—typically chorus, delay, reverb, etc.—before finally appearing at the OUT 1 MAIN /L of the AX8 which is connected to the FX Return (Power Amp Input) of your amp. To extend this configuration for optional stereo, connect OUT1 MAIN /R of the AX8 to the RETURN of a second amp, or use a separate stereo power amp for both left and right signals.
For best signal-to-noise performance, set the AX8 OUT 1 and Out 2 level knobs as high as possible , and adjust the OUT 2 (FX SEND) BOOST PAD (p. 82) as high as possible without clipping out 2.

First, what happens when you plug the AX8 out 1 into the front of the amp? Next, what happens when you plug the AX8 out 1 into the effect return of the amp - make sure to have some sort of amp block in there.

Back
Top Bottom