AX8 2?

Just speculation, but if there is a successor to the AX8, I think it'll be released 12-18 months after the 3 was. No need to cannibalize the 3's sales by releasing a 'cheaper' model (obviously there are significant differences but that's how many people would view it...).

That makes sense too... But I am hoping for sooner!

Just got my AX8 yesterday, so, obviously, I would Love for a newer version to made available anytime soon .. No, I really mean it!! :D ..so impressed am I with this AX8 that an AX8.5 would be immediately placed high on my wish-list. .. Just ..umm .,.throwing that out there for all the bean-counters at Fractal to consider. ...And ...I'm sure I'm not alone. ;)

Personally, I like not having an expression pedal attached for all the reasons previously mentioned by others. JM-own-O..

Would like to see maybe an upgraded UI - though, even having considered a Helix, I'm actually fine with the original and smaller screen. There's always room for improvement, but that smaller screen does the job for me.

I Would like more IO - some sound and recording mojo via USB would be great, another stereo FX loop, etc.. More HP under the hood (naturally), and a couple more footswitches to get Witchy with.

I think we have reached a tipping point, to where software being vastly upgradeable, we are only being held back now by form-factor design and the processing power of these units.

I weighed the Helix and the AX8 over the period of about a year while I waited for the new Boss unit to come out - personally speaking, neither the Boss unit or Helix really inspired me to buy it, and I bought my AX8 knowing that at any-minute something better might come along. But, honestly, I fell in love with the sound of the AX8 over all else on the market.

Color screens and scribble-strips are nice, but when the rubber meets the road, that chassis has gotta be bomb-proof, and it's what I end-up hearing that inspires me to play..

So.. yeah .. Just my buck-forty-nine... Each to their own and YMMV, etc., But, any form-factor upgrade of this unit is gonna be gravy for me. Saying all that, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Fractal floor based unit; because as good as this original unit is? ...phhhh ...I can only imagine of what 's to come from these good-guys who're busy breaking ground for us at Fractal.

Do you think they’ll make the AX8 mark 2 more compatible in 4cm like FX8? Would love to have something with amp models but without having to own two separate boards. Seems like a lot of users like to use the AX8 in different ways and 4 cm being one of them but the FX8 is far superior in 4cm (since it was designed specifically for that). It’s such a bonus to have something that is designed for both where you can switch between your analog amp and digital amp without coloration and excess hum.

Do you think they’ll make the AX8 mark 2 more compatible in 4cm like FX8? Would love to have something with amp models but without having to own two separate boards. Seems like a lot of users like to use the AX8 in different ways and 4 cm being one of them but the FX8 is far superior in 4cm (since it was designed specifically for that). It’s such a bonus to have something that is designed for both where you can switch between your analog amp and digital amp without coloration and excess hum.

That would make the AX8 much more expensive.

One thing I would like to see in a new design is the integration of the EV-1. It's the only thing that was a bit puzzling to me, the AX8 designed as a gigging floor modeler and no expression pedal. The EV-1 is such a great expression pedal, I doubt there would be any pushback if one were added. I for one wouldn't complain. :)
That's a horrible idea on so many levels.
1) It would increase the price of the unit and some people would be forced to buy something they don't want/need.
2) Some people need to make the rig as compact as possible for travel. When the expression is separate it can be packed to best fit the carrier.
3) Some people prefer wah style pedals over the traditional keyboard style expression pedals.
4) Doing this would not really be "pro" because it locks the user into having that pedal on the board, whether they use it or not and pro gear is generally very customizable to the user's needs.
5) If the expression pedal fails for some reason it can't be quickly swapped out. Yes, you could probably just plug another one in but then you have a pedal that's dead weight.

That's a horrible idea on so many levels.
1) It would increase the price of the unit and some people would be forced to buy something they don't want/need.
2) Some people need to make the rig as compact as possible for travel. When the expression is separate it can be packed to best fit the carrier.
3) Some people prefer wah style pedals over the traditional keyboard style expression pedals.
4) Doing this would not really be "pro" because it locks the user into having that pedal on the board, whether they use it or not and pro gear is generally very customizable to the user's needs.
5) If the expression pedal fails for some reason it can't be quickly swapped out. Yes, you could probably just plug another one in but then you have a pedal that's dead weight.

I don't agree with point 2.
It takes less space and weight to have an all in one unit, than a pedalboard, cable, expression pedal and the base on which both of them are bolted on.
I agree with most of what you've written, but if you really think about it, the exact same logic can be used to argue that the axe FX and pedal buttons should be two separate units...

I don't agree with point 2.
It takes less space and weight to have an all in one unit, than a pedalboard, cable, expression pedal and the base on which both of them are bolted on.

That premise assumes that the user has a pedal board which some people don't use in order to make the AX8 itself grab and go or to save weight (no pedalboard, less weight) and space (being able to pack the expression pedal separately) when traveling.

I agree with most of what you've written, but if you really think about it, the exact same logic can be used to argue that the axe FX and pedal buttons should be two separate units...
You are referring to the AX8, correct? If so, I agree that modularity would be convenient in some ways buy it would come at the cost of complexity and reliability if audio cables and power cables were required between the two pieces.

We already have that... AFX III ;-)

I'm not a fan of having an expression pedal attached. I'd rather have the option to use the pedals I prefer. Plus, I like to set my pedals at an angle to make them more ergonomic than straight-ahead.

I should also add that personally, I would not like an EV style pedal because for my purposes I don't like the throw (I only used it for wah, volume and occasionally whammy) and I like having a toe switch to easily toggle between wah and volume blocks. There are plenty of folks that use the Mission SP-1 (expression pedal with toe switch).

If the new AX8 had a built-in expression pedal I supposed I could use it but it might make my pedal board wider than I like. That's a bit fuzzy because the AX8 II's footprint is completely unknown but when it came time to make a pedalboard for the AX8 I went with just one expression pedal because it fulfilled my needs.

On the built in expression pedal thing. One way to solve the elegantly would be to simply have a mountable expansion system. Nothing flimsy, properly screwed into the unit. An expression pedal could then be purchased separately that could be attached to the unit.

Don’t want to spend the extra money - don’t buy the expression pedal.
If the expression pedal breaks - buy a new one (same as now), but it would be attachable.
If you don’t want to use for the next gig - detach it, and re-add later if needed.
If you want a different brand of expression pedal - buy it, same as now. I’m sure that companies like Mission Engineering also would design a new model that could be attached.
If you prefer it on the other side - mount it there, it’s not hard to design a system the would fit either side, or have one expression pedal on each side.

Again, nothing flimsy. Properly screwed into the side of the unit, both at the top and bottom, front and back. Connection wise, you could have an expression pedal input jack at both sides of the Ax8 2 and a low footprint pancake style cable (again easily replaceable) that would connect the expression pedal to either side.

Back
Top Bottom