AX8 “ Sound “ ‘vs’ XL+ “ Sound “ ……. (3) quick questions from a Kemper user

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi Fractal

My first post here.

By way of full disclosure, I am a happy Kemper owner and user. I use it live [ classic rock / hard rock ] with my Atomic CLR.

I also have a colleague who uses the XL+ live and I have been fortunate enough to also [ from time-to-time ] use his XL+ live [ after he set up the sounds for me ] and quite frankly, it was fantastic …… period.

So for my use ….. the AX8 looks like a perfect alternate [ smaller / simpler ] rig to complement my needs especially for smaller shows and grab-and-go shows.

Also, given the astonishingly amazing price that Fractal are listing the AX8 for, any “missing” or “reduced” features that it will have relative to the XL+ are a total no-issue for my use and needs.

I have also read and am aware of what are the so-far-known major “ differences “ between the AX8 and XL+ are to be.

My only actual concern / issue / question is tone, sound, feel, dynamics, sonic quality, realism etc…….however you want to describe it.

Not sure the best way explain and ask this, so I’ll do it via an example ……. let’s say:-

=> the AX8 and the XL+ each have the same Amp X and the same Cab Y
=> I decide to run Amp X + Cab Y with 6 different Stomps / EFX -and- those 6 different Stomps / EFX are also in -both- the AX8 and the XL+
=> I then save this sound / preset as “ My Rig “

So …. my questions are:-

A => if I were to play this “ My Rig “ sound in the XL+ -and then- the AX8 (through my CLR) ….. will they be absolutely %100 identical in terms of tone, sound, feel, dynamics, sonic quality, realism etc…….however you want to describe it (?)

B => in this example, will the XL+ always sound “ just a little bit better ” (?)

C => are the specific editable and deep-editable parameters for Amp X, Cab Y and the 6 Stomps / EFX identical in the AX8 and the XL+ ?

Hoping I’ve explained the above sensibly :)

My sincere thanks in advance for any advice / info.

Ben

A. Identical.

B. See A.

C. Mostly. A few superfluous parameters have been removed (Speaker Size for instance) but 99% of the deep stuff is there. FWIW, the effects are not limited to six. You populate the grid as you would on an Axe-Fx. You could have 10 effects in addition to amp and cab. You then assign the footswitches as desired.

Thank you FractalAudio Administrator - hope you don't mind me asking, but are you "Cliff " (?) ..... a.k.a " Mr Axe FX " (?) :)

Thanks again for the clear and specific answers - very much appreciated - and great to know :)

All the best,
Ben

the man, the legende, himself!

Wow .... sincere thanks :)

If I'm not pushing my luck too much ( :) ) may I please also ask, will there be a downloadable .PDF manual / full-spec sheet listing all the Amps and Cabs and EFX that come with the AX8 "soon'ish" -or- is this level of detail still a way off ?

No biggie either way, just asking.

Many thanks again,
Ben

Thank you FractalAudio Administrator - hope you don't mind me asking, but are you "Cliff " (?) ..... a.k.a " Mr Axe FX " (?) :)

Thanks again for the clear and specific answers - very much appreciated - and great to know :)

All the best,
Ben

Yes that is in fact Cliff :)

Back
Top Bottom