AX4 ??

Yeah, good luck with that. You can't physically take switches 1 and 3 that close to the side, and neither of them that close to the bottom.
Photoshop is cool and all that (whoever made this one), but doesn't take account of components' size at all.

Switches currently occupy 14cm. Evens stretching that to 18cm so there is 9cm between switches you would need to play with pointy cowboy boots all the time.

In short: No.

Yeah, good luck with that. You can't physically take switches 1 and 3 that close to the side, and neither of them that close to the bottom.
Photoshop is cool and all that (whoever made this one), but doesn't take account of components' size at all.

Switches currently occupy 14cm. Evens stretching that to 18cm so there is 9cm between switches you would need to play with pointy cowboy boots all the time.

In short: No.
I made that and it was meant to show that there is space to do it in the design phase no i will do it with a release product.

there is space to do it in the design phase.
Not with regular switches. Switches cannot physically fit that close to the borders, since they need as much space below the board as they need above it, plus some extra not to touch soldering points with the chassis. That limitation wouldn't leave enough space for the top row.
Specially designed rocker switches with integrated leds -Boss FS-7 style-, maybe, but that's way more expensive than off-the-shelf footswitches.

I seem to remember a thread about this m a small amp only unit w / like 4 or 5 amp models or a box that only did FAS custom models
don't remember what happened but that was years ago

Not with regular switches. Switches cannot physically fit that close to the borders, since they need as much space below the board as they need above it, plus some extra not to touch soldering points with the chassis. That limitation wouldn't leave enough space for the top row.
Specially designed rocker switches with integrated leds -Boss FS-7 style-, maybe, but that's way more expensive than off-the-shelf footswitches.

Yes, it will depend on what switch its use, but it can be done.

Stupid idea. Halving the number of features would not halve the hardware requirements to maintain Fractal level quality tones. AX8 is probably as cheap and as small as an AFX2 class modeler can be.

Plus, FAS has said that it takes the processing power of an entire chip to run an amp model. Reducing the number of amps is irrelevant. If you want FX it's still going to need two chips. Not going to happen at $450...

I took a long hard look at Amplifire when it came out. The number of switches was the biggest downfall for me. It looks like would work really well as a compliment to the FX8 or for adding amp modeling to an existing pedal board setup, but as a stand-alone unit it was totally inadequate for my needs.

Agree, Amplifire didn't work for me due to being very limited. Zoom G3X actually makes very good used of the limited footswitches, very capable unit!
Helix is way too big, heavy and bulky... Not sure of the design thoughts on that one.
AX8 still big and a little heavy but tons of functionality when you factor scenes, looper, etc...

i'd like a single rack space FX8 for under a grand. So i dont have to run 4 cables to my amp from the floorboard.

i'd like a single rack space FX8 for under a grand. So i dont have to run 4 cables to my amp from the floorboard.

set the FX8 on top of the amp and buy an mfc for midi control? If you are going to do stuff with your feet there will always be cables for something

set the FX8 on top of the amp and buy an mfc for midi control? If you are going to do stuff with your feet there will always be cables for something
ya but not 4 50ft cables running to your amp/effect loop. i kinda anal like EJ about my signal chain

For all you guys that have had the AX8 for a while now..... Ready for the AX4? Or is the AX8 just right.

Just right. If you had an AX4 as the op said, everyone would complain that it didn't have the functionality of the AX8 at the new lower price :p

Back
Top Bottom