AX FX to Onyx-Blackjack to PC - Clean tone only

Tranced

Hi All,

I'm really a noob and just beginning to find out how the recording side of music works.

I have the axfx ultra (not ax fx II), and I just bought an Onyx BlackJack USB interface. I"m recording directly to my PC with audacity which is awesome.

My problem is, I can only record clean tone, I can't seem to get my effects from my axfx incorporated in my recordings. Why can I only record in clean tone? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20170912_113621[423]-min.jpg
    IMG_20170912_113621[423]-min.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I don't know the Onyx Blackjack but the following questions came to mind:

Did you set the switch above the gain knobs to "line"?
Do you have a signal on the phones and/or monitor outs of the Blackjack?
Did you try the Blackjack with another source than the Axe-Fx and have a signal in audacity?

P.S. What OS do you use? Are the drivers for the Blackjack installed and working?

I don't know the Onyx Blackjack but the following questions came to mind:

Did you set the switch above the gain knobs to "line"?
Do you have a signal on the phones and/or monitor outs of the Blackjack?
Did you try the Blackjack with another source than the Axe-Fx and have a signal in audacity?

P.S. What OS do you use? Are the drivers for the Blackjack installed and working?
Hey Volt, thanks for the response.

Did you set the switch above the gain knobs to "line"? (Yes, both are on "line" setting)
Do you have a signal on the phones and/or monitor outs of the Blackjack? (Yes, I have a signal now - I can record, but only in clean tone. I'm trying to get the effects to pass through.)
Did you try the Blackjack with another source than the Axe-Fx and have a signal in audacity? ( I have a signal now - Thanks)

My only problem now is I can only record in clean tone. I'm using a patch on my axfx with delay and chorus, but the effects are not passing through, onyl the clean tone for some reason. Any ideas?
Thanks!

PS. Im using windows 10. drivers are fully updated.

Great you have tone.

Do you hear the effects when you connect the Axe-FX to powered speakers / amp with passive speakers?

I just saw you connected output 1 left and output 2 right of the Axe-FX to the inputs of the Blackjack. Why is that? For now you may try only output 1 (left and right).

Yes, I hear the effects when powered through my poweramp and into my marshall 4x12.
Okay, so I should try removing Output 2 right from my ax fx and onyx, and only leave Output 1 and mic-pre 1 remaining?
I'll give it a go and see what happens!

Hmm, so nothing happens when I only have 1 input. Still the same - still only recording clean tone.
Do you think there's something I need to bypass or activate on my axfx patch?

You could run output 1 left and right to mic-pre 1 and 2 or do you connect output 1 right to your poweramp?

I own a Blackjack and I can't understand why you are getting the results you're getting. I connect my left and right out of the Axe ( balanced left and right) to the balanced(xlr) left and right input of the blackjack. There is no separation of dry (i.e.no effects) from wet (i.e. With effects) signal. It does not make sense that you are hearing a dry signal.

Let me know Giles

You could run output 1 left and right to mic-pre 1 and 2 or do you connect output 1 right to your poweramp?

Hmm, just tried that and same outcome. Only recording in clean tone.
This is really throwing me through a loop! haha. I'll keep trying. If you have anymore ideas, feel free to shoot them my way.
Thanks!!!

I own a Blackjack and I can't understand why you are getting the results you're getting. I connect my left and right out of the Axe ( balanced left and right) to the balanced(xlr) left and right input of the blackjack. There is no separation of dry (i.e.no effects) from wet (i.e. With effects) signal. It does not make sense that you are hearing a dry signal.

Let me know Giles

Yea, im lost man. Check out this pic. This is how I have it wired using 1/4 in unbalanced to mic pre 1 and 2 of blackjack. This pic doesnt show my usb in, but i had to move it when I took the pic IMG_20170912_113621[423]-min.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, just tried that and same outcome. Only recording in clean tone.
This is really throwing me through a loop! haha. I'll keep trying. If you have anymore ideas, feel free to shoot them my way.
Thanks!!!

Hm, no more ideas for the moment... if you hear the effects when connected to your poweramp + cab you should hear them through the Blackjack, too - assuming you do the connections in the same way as with the poweramp.

Hm, no more ideas for the moment... if you hear the effects when connected to your poweramp + cab you should hear them through the Blackjack, too - assuming you do the connections in the same way as with the poweramp.

Thanks for helping me out Volt. If you ever think of anything else, let me know. I'll keep searching myself!

Is the front panel BYPASS button blinking? Try pressing that and check the sound again.

Oh my goodness. IT WORKED! You're right, the bypass button was blinking. Pushed it, and now I have my effects.
Thanks so much Mr. Bakerman, Volt, and Gilesy. Ya'll putting my head to rest this evening. :)

Oh yeah, for merely a second I had thought of the bypass, too, but as the effects were to hear through poweramp + cab I dropped that... Glad it works! :)

Back
Top Bottom