AX-FX-II - Using FX Send/Return, The FX Loop & Finding the right Balance

jmo

Hey folks love to get some feedback on your experience on using the AXE FX II with stereo Send & Returns and the challenges of balancing the input and output volumes & the FX loop block with out getting clipping.

I use my Axe FX in the studio and have a Strymon Timeline hooked up in stereo using the send & return, it just seems to constantly be a balancing act to get the right output volumes between output 1 & 2 and using the FX loop block. Using the FX Loop block, I'm sure you all have experienced cuts the output of the patch, I know it also depends on where you place the FX loop block, I have found it works best after the Amp and Cab.

I was hoping to get some insight, tips etc. It just might be a case from patch to patch tweaking and finding the right balance. If so cool, hope Im make'n sense.
Thanks All
Jmo - super sonic noise

I've posted threads about this and have read others... You get noise a lot of noise from the return, not sure why, but have never had an answer, so I had to learn to live with it.
Hopefully someone will come up with an explanation/solution.
All the best.

Interesting, not really had any noise problems, just the overall challenge of volumes and getting the input & output to feel right.
Thanks !

Depends what kind of recording Radley, not if you want something really clean. Now you probably wouldn't really hear it over the other instruments unless it's a quiet clean part.

I've posted threads about this and have read others... You get noise a lot of noise from the return, not sure why, but have never had an answer, so I had to learn to live with it.
Hopefully someone will come up with an explanation/solution.
All the best.

The return is just as quiet as the main inputs. If you are getting noise you have something hooked up wrong, or a ground loop.

I have never had a problem with noise, again it's the balancing act of the guitar sound, the send/return FX sound, the output and input levels and simply trying to avoid clipping and overloading the signal (also the FX Loop block) Overall it's a constant dance to get each patch to sit right. I was just looking for thoughts, setup advice etc. I have been using the AXE FX on dozens of tv shows, tv commercials, song production etc and it has been nothing short of fantastic ! It truly has changed the game !
Jmo
(-;

Odd. I have a Flint and an ElCapistan in the loop all the time. I put the FX loop after the amp and before a stereo Cab block. I have Output 2 on max on the front panel which is unity gain I believe - all the FX Block controls are at 0dB - again, unity, and it all just works. There's no noise and no difference in volume between the FX Loop being in or out (I have it on a MFC switch).

Thanks Vinnie ! that's the kind of info I was looking for, I will try moving the FX LOOP Block and see what that does, it's not like my set up was not working for me, it just has been way too much volume tweaking, but simply moving the block could make a big difference, so I'll give it a go ! Thanks again for your insight ! Cheers !

I just put the FX LOOP BLOCK between the Amp and Cab and it goes from lush stereo to more of a mono up the mid sound. So keeping the block after the cab sounds the best, but I will keep messing around.

I just put the FX LOOP BLOCK between the Amp and Cab and it goes from lush stereo to more of a mono up the mid sound. So keeping the block after the cab sounds the best, but I will keep messing around.

if you are using a mono cab, then anything before it will be summed to mono.

Hey Chris, I messed around with the mono and stereo cabs, and still the fx loop block sounded best after the cab, give it a go and let me know if you notice a dif, totally appreciate your help !
Jmo

Well the delays will obviously take on the nature of the speaker cabs but that's what happens in a live situation. I also have the internal AFX delays and reverb AFTER the cab block (with a very low mix) for a bit of studio sheen.

Reactions: jmo
Back
Top Bottom