Ax Edit Time out

jnorum

I would like to know when you are going to solve this problem.
every 2x3 ax edit if it falls. Time out.
It is very very frustrating. I can not touch or do anything. It's the worst thing about Fractal.
I change the virtual amp AE drops, restart the Axe Fx, change the cab, and AE drops. reboot Axe FX, add a delay and AE drops. Frankly Fractal Audio guys, I'm starting to get tired of all this shit.
The most likely is that I sell my Axe if you do not solve it, and of course I will not recommend it to anyone.
When are you going to make a new driver or an AE that does not crash every time you touch something?
There are people who say that it is for you to connect the wah pedal. EV-1 pedal from the same company. But I wonder, if you can not connect the fucking pedal, what are you selling it for?

I would like to know when you are going to solve this problem.
every 2x3 ax edit if it falls. Time out.
It is very very frustrating. I can not touch or do anything. It's the worst thing about Fractal.
I change the virtual amp AE drops, restart the Axe Fx, change the cab, and AE drops. reboot Axe FX, add a delay and AE drops. Frankly Fractal Audio guys, I'm starting to get tired of all this ****.
The most likely is that I sell my Axe if you do not solve it, and of course I will not recommend it to anyone.
When are you going to make a new driver or an AE that does not crash every time you touch something?
There are people who say that it is for you to connect the wah pedal. EV-1 pedal from the same company. But I wonder, if you can not connect the ****ing pedal, what are you selling it for?
While I understand the frustration, a few more details are needed to help you with this issue.
  • What OS are you running and which version? Mac, Win?
  • What FAS device are you using?
  • Which USB drivers are you using?
  • Do you have an MFC101 connected to the FAS device while running AxeEdit?
  • Are you connected to a USB 2 or USB 3 port, or are you using a USB hub?

I have been running AxeEdit on various windows incarnations (XP, XP64, Win7x64, win10x64) for close to 10-yrs and have NEVER had these issues..
If you are running windows, it's unlikely that it's the FAS drivers.. Windows STILL single threads MIDI over USB and if you are running a DAW, it MIGHT be grabbing it.. idk.
Need more info on your setup..

Hello
I have Windows 10 pro x64 versión 1703
32 Gb Ram.
Intel i5 6600K
Axe Fx Mark 2
Fractal USB Audio Driver 2.23.0
USB Driver Package 2014.06.06
I am connected to the pc with a USB 2, but I tried with the usb 3 and it happens the same.
Right now I have nothing connected. Sometimes I connect the EV-1 pedal to the wah.
But have it connected or not, AE continues to fall.
I also have Ax Edit version 3.14.2
And the beta 9 firmware.
I also have to say, that from firmware 7 backwards, the connection timeout only failed once in a while, sometime. But from the 8.00 firmware it is impossible to handle Ax edit.
And what I find strange is that there are people who works well and others do not, because I think I'm not the only one who has this problem

Last edited:
Hello
32 Gb Ram.
Intel i5 6600K
Axe Fx Mark 2
I am connected to the pc with a USB 2, but I tried with the usb 3 and it happens the same.
Right now I have nothing connected. Sometimes I connect the EV-1 pedal to the wah.
And the beta 9 firmware.
I also have to say, that from firmware 7 backwards, the connection timeout only failed once in a while, sometime. But from the 8.00 firmware it is impossible to handle Ax edit.
And what I find strange is that there are people who works well and others do not, because I think I'm not the only one who has this problem

* Is your PC a name brand or did you build it?

* If you built your PC:
** Motherboard Model and Revision:
** Chipset Model and Driver version:
** Memory/Ram Model:
** CPU Model:
** Graphics Card Model and Driver version:
** Any other PCI or Express cards and Driver versions:
** Power Supply Model:

* Have you done any tweaks to the Registry or Services?
* What internet browser and version do you use:
* What other software and drivers do you have installed in Programs and Features including versions:

I have an Axe-Fx II Mk I and XL+ and have never experienced this issue with many Desktop and Laptop PCs running Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 1511, 1607 or 1703. I've had Axe-Edit lock up a couple times randomly throughout the past 5 years but a reboot always resolved it.

I've worked on PCs for the past 20 years and my current job of 16 years is being replaced by another countries inferior quality to save $ by the end of 2017. If anyone needs PC support I'd be glad to help!

Hello
32 Gb Ram.
Intel i5 6600K
Axe Fx Mark 2
And the beta 9 firmware.
I'll have to check what versions I have running.. but it will be late tonight (US Central tIme) before I do, as I'm at work now [with no access my Axe or PC], and have rehearsal tonight.
FIW - I'm running Win10x64, the most current USB drivers, newest AE and Beta 9 firmware..

Be patient please.. we'll figure this out for you :)

I must admit that overtime Axe-Edit is less and less reliable. It was still great like 1 years ago but it seems stability is getting ***really*** worst with latest firmware revision. This is really frustrating when you have to reboot both Axe and computer to get it works...

Sorry to say, I also agree with macphistoo ... while not a show stopper it has become an annoyance and frequently requires shutting down and rebooting the axe. It has also seemed to become more severe over time .. not sure what the causes are - standalone issue with Axe-Edit or interactions with firmware or other computer issues but I think a number of folks are experiencing it.

That said, this is a great company, a great product, and everything just seems to get better and better as time goes on. This too shall pass.

* Is your PC a name brand or did you build it?

* If you built your PC:
** Motherboard Model and Revision:
** Chipset Model and Driver version:
** Memory/Ram Model:
** CPU Model:
** Graphics Card Model and Driver version:
** Any other PCI or Express cards and Driver versions:
** Power Supply Model:

* Have you done any tweaks to the Registry or Services?
* What internet browser and version do you use:
* What other software and drivers do you have installed in Programs and Features including versions:

I have an Axe-Fx II Mk I and XL+ and have never experienced this issue with many Desktop and Laptop PCs running Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 1511, 1607 or 1703. I've had Axe-Edit lock up a couple times randomly throughout the past 5 years but a reboot always resolved it.

I've worked on PCs for the past 20 years and my current job of 16 years is being replaced by another countries inferior quality to save $ by the end of 2017. If anyone needs PC support I'd be glad to help!

I do not think all that information is relevant.
The pc has no brand, is built to pieces, but all of them are compatible with each other.
I do not know all that info, but I can decide what I know.
The motherboard is: MS H10 Gaming M3 (MS-7978)
Socket: LGA 1151
Chipset: Intel Skylake rev 07
Bios: American megatrends Inc. version C.70

Processor: Intel core i5 6600K 3.50 GHz
Memory Ram: Kingstom 32 Gb DDR4 Dual
Graphics card: Nvidia GTX 1060 6Gb revision A1

The power supply I do not know what it is, but it is 700 W.
I have PCI Express UAD Solo Card
IE last version
Google Chrome
And software, a lot.
But as I explained above, the problem does not come from the pc. Because from firmware 7 backwards, everything worked very well. And it is from Fw 8 when it no longer works well

I do not think all that information is relevant.
The pc has no brand, is built to pieces, but all of them are compatible with each other.
I do not know all that info, but I can decide what I know.
The motherboard is: MS H10 Gaming M3 (MS-7978)
Socket: LGA 1151
Chipset: Intel Skylake rev 07
Bios: American megatrends Inc. version C.70

Processor: Intel core i5 6600K 3.50 GHz
Memory Ram: Kingstom 32 Gb DDR4 Dual
Graphics card: Nvidia GTX 1060 6Gb revision A1

The power supply I do not know what it is, but it is 700 W.
I have PCI Express UAD Solo Card
IE last version
Google Chrome
And software, a lot.
But as I explained above, the problem does not come from the pc. Because from firmware 7 backwards, everything worked very well. And it is from Fw 8 when it no longer works well

I didn't know Axe-Edit doesn't work for you only with firmware Quantum 8 because you didn't mention that in your first post and I hadn't read your 2nd post, sorry.

I can't seem to find any info about your motherboard. I found some with a similar name H170 and B150 and they use the Intel chipset for the USB ports, so Windows 10 should be using the built-in drivers, so that shouldn't be causing any issues. Does your motherboard have any special drivers or apps to make the USB faster? I've worked with ASRock motherboards that have a special USB app that's supposed to make it faster but has caused issues.

Do you have another PC you can try, to find out if your Axe-Fx II has the issue with Axe-Edit on all PC's? I had a similar issue with my Liquid Foot+ MIDI foot controller after a firmware update but the issue only occurred on my HP laptop, which had no issues with any other USB devices.

Have you gone into Device Manager and disabled all the Power Management settings on all of your USB ports?

Have you tried uninstalling all your USB ports in Device Manager and then rebooting your PC, so they all get reinstalled? NOTE: Before doing this, if you use a USB Mouse and Keyboard, make sure to go into power options and set your power button to restart the PC bc you won't be able to use your USB mouse or keyboard and will have to press the power button to restart your PC. Once it boots the USB ports will be reinstalled but it might take a couple minutes before your mouse and keyboard will work to login.

Also, make sure Google Chrome isn't open and not running in the background or in Task Manager because it sometimes interferes with sending and receiving to USB devices. It's caused me issues when using Fractal Bot to backup my Axe-Fx II and when backing up my Liquid Foot+ MIDI Foot Controller.

I'm sure this issue can be solved because not everyone is experiencing it. I have to make some new presets today and I'll use my Axe-Fx II Mk I instead of my XL+ bc it should be similar to the Mk II.

I didn't know Axe-Edit doesn't work for you only with firmware Quantum 8 because you didn't mention that in your first post and I hadn't read your 2nd post, sorry.

I can't seem to find any info about your motherboard. I found some with a similar name H170 and B150 and they use the Intel chipset for the USB ports, so Windows 10 should be using the built-in drivers, so that shouldn't be causing any issues. Does your motherboard have any special drivers or apps to make the USB faster? I've worked with ASRock motherboards that have a special USB app that's supposed to make it faster but has caused issues.

Do you have another PC you can try, to find out if your Axe-Fx II has the issue with Axe-Edit on all PC's? I had a similar issue with my Liquid Foot+ MIDI foot controller after a firmware update but the issue only occurred on my HP laptop, which had no issues with any other USB devices.

Have you gone into Device Manager and disabled all the Power Management settings on all of your USB ports?

Have you tried uninstalling all your USB ports in Device Manager and then rebooting your PC, so they all get reinstalled? NOTE: Before doing this, if you use a USB Mouse and Keyboard, make sure to go into power options and set your power button to restart the PC bc you won't be able to use your USB mouse or keyboard and will have to press the power button to restart your PC. Once it boots the USB ports will be reinstalled but it might take a couple minutes before your mouse and keyboard will work to login.

Also, make sure Google Chrome isn't open and not running in the background or in Task Manager because it sometimes interferes with sending and receiving to USB devices. It's caused me issues when using Fractal Bot to backup my Axe-Fx II and when backing up my Liquid Foot+ MIDI Foot Controller.

I'm sure this issue can be solved because not everyone is experiencing it. I have to make some new presets today and I'll use my Axe-Fx II Mk I instead of my XL+ bc it should be similar to the Mk II.

I have no more pc to try. I'm not rich jejejej.
I also have not tried to uninstall the USB, since I do not usually tangle in those things that I do not know. I am afraid to spoil something and not know how to fix it, or I do not understand computers, I only use it to play from time to time, for the internet and to handle the axe with the AE, because it is more comfortable and I have not turned it on using it from the panel frontal.

Anyway, as I mentioned, with firmware 4, 5, 6 and 7 I did not have any problems, just as I broke the communication with AE sometime, but that happened once a month, nothing of importance. But it is with firmware 8 when it started to go all wrong, and with 9 beta, even worse. That's why I do not think it's a consequence of the pc. It would be the driver that is outdated (I have the latest driver version), but I think they should make a new driver, updated and improved.
If it were a problem of the pc, the failure would have always happened, since I bought the Axe

I have no more pc to try. I'm not rich jejejej.
I also have not tried to uninstall the USB, since I do not usually tangle in those things that I do not know. I am afraid to spoil something and not know how to fix it, or I do not understand computers, I only use it to play from time to time, for the internet and to handle the axe with the AE, because it is more comfortable and I have not turned it on using it from the panel frontal.

Anyway, as I mentioned, with firmware 4, 5, 6 and 7 I did not have any problems, just as I broke the communication with AE sometime, but that happened once a month, nothing of importance. But it is with firmware 8 when it started to go all wrong, and with 9 beta, even worse. That's why I do not think it's a consequence of the pc. It would be the driver that is outdated (I have the latest driver version), but I think they should make a new driver, updated and improved.
If it were a problem of the pc, the failure would have always happened, since I bought the Axe

Do you know anyone that would let you install the FAS driver and Axe-Edit on their PC to let you test it?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the FAS driver?

Also, do you have any issues with Fractal Bot when backing up your Axe-Fx II?

I'm just trying to figure out what's different from my PC's because mine work. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.

I believe Chrome fixed that MIDI issue some time back..
The main issue is that the OP's problems are NOT across the board, meaning, something in his config/setup is causing the drops.
The ONLY thing I have seen do that is having a MIDI or output device conflict.. and yes, there's a whole host of causes for that.
AE uses MIDI over USB to communicate with the Axe.. so a drop is usually an interrupt somewhere.. Finding it can be a challenge.

To the OP.. how are you wired from PC to Axe? Straight USB cable?
Maybe silly question.. but have you tried a different USB cable?
We have seen that make a difference.. USB cables DO go bad.

I believe Chrome fixed that MIDI issue some time back..
The main issue is that the OP's problems are NOT across the board, meaning, something in his config/setup is causing the drops.
The ONLY thing I have seen do that is having a MIDI or output device conflict.. and yes, there's a whole host of causes for that.
AE uses MIDI over USB to communicate with the Axe.. so a drop is usually an interrupt somewhere.. Finding it can be a challenge.

To the OP.. how are you wired from PC to Axe? Straight USB cable?
Maybe silly question.. but have you tried a different USB cable?
We have seen that make a difference.. USB cables DO go bad.

I've had USB ground loops cause issues with MIDI too. The only reason I knew I was having USB ground loop issues was because my MIDI Interface was built into my Audio interface and I could hear the weird noises through the audio.

To resolve the issue I switched all my 1/4" unbalanced cables to 1/4" TRS balanced cables and had to change the way I monitor the mix through headphones when recording my Roland V-Drums. I used to connect the headphone out jack from my interface to the mix in jack of my V-Drums with a 1/4" stereo cable and then connect my headphones to my V-Drums. Now I use a 1/4" stereo extension cable to connect my headphones directly to my interface. I can no longer adjust the headphones level from the V-Drums mix in knob and have to do it from my interface, which is too far away to reach but I'd rather waste a few extra seconds to adjust the headphones level than have to troubleshoot the issues caused by the ground loops.

Back
Top Bottom