AX 8 VS AxeFXII

cujoren

Hello all,

I've had an AxeFx II XL+ for over a year now and I'm thinking of getting an AX8. Does anyone here have both? Are the tones as good as the AxeFx? I assume it's easier to tote around. Any freezing issues?

I have both. No freezing issues, and they sound the same to me.
Of course, I used the FracTool to transfer my patches from the Axe II to the AX8, so they should sound the same.
I don't use a tone of the advanced parameters....I can get my tone with only a handful of knob turns.

I have both. No problems with the AX8. If you enjoy the Axe, you'll likely enjoy the AX8. I do suggest you invest in the Barefoot Buttons, as it definitely makes it easier to operate while standing, but that's just me.

I do suggest you invest in the Barefoot Buttons

Interesting, never seen these before.

Can you tell me about some of the advantages? (or what they feel like in comparison?).

I do like the fact that they have lots of colors. It's another way to mark my buttons to find the right one quickly.

Have both and just got the AX8 two months ago, like you I was a bit hesitant. Even after I got it I was thinking, ahh- maybe not. BTW I don't feel that way anymore!

Creating presets was a concern the AX8 is not as powerful as its big brother, no secret there. But does sound identical! Have to be a little mindful when creating presets, I didn't have crazy effect chains when using the Axe Fx but I use to throw in extra blocks for those (what if) moments. You can still do that with the AX8 just not as much. BTW it's still more than I need.

My next concern was the cab block allot of stuff missing here, not that it mattered in my case never really used anything from here, except one. "Moter Drive". Just a little goes a long way AX8 does not have it, but I'm fine with this, two reasons. One, the IR's are so good to start with. And two the way I use it no one would ever notice live including me that's it's missing. And the AX8 is meant or I should say geared towards live use.

But my AF II is going nowhere! It handles all the recordings and the AX8 live stuff and I could not be happier>

John

Interesting, never seen these before.

Can you tell me about some of the advantages? (or what they feel like in comparison?).

I do like the fact that they have lots of colors. It's another way to mark my buttons to find the right one quickly.
They are very well constructed and precisely machined. No wobble. They provide a much larger target for stepping on. I use the "tall boys" in the back row. Makes it easier to step on and miss the handle bar. Like you said, they come in various colors. I have red on the "F" switches, and silver on the rest. Not sure if it really makes a difference, but it looks cool and I like it.

I have both and the big difference for me is the limit of the AX8 cpu. Particularly when it comes to reverb which can take up to 28 per cent of it. Sometimes I bring an external pedal and sometimes I just go with a spring reverb which only takes 8 per cent cpu. But the AX8 is very compact and convenient for live performance. Other than that I can get great tone just like the AXE FX

I have both. Been gigging the AX8 for a little over a year now. +1 on the Barefoot Buttons. They are a Godsend. They both sound the same to me but I don't do a lot of deep editing. Basic B,M,T and some high and low cuts in the cab block. CPU can be an issue with higher quality reverb but I really don't use it in my live presets. If you use 2 amp blocks or need gapless switching between amp blocks in your presets there are some drawbacks.

I have both. No problems with the AX8. If you enjoy the Axe, you'll likely enjoy the AX8. I do suggest you invest in the Barefoot Buttons, as it definitely makes it easier to operate while standing, but that's just me.
Thank you! I'll look into the buttons

Have both and just got the AX8 two months ago, like you I was a bit hesitant. Even after I got it I was thinking, ahh- maybe not. BTW I don't feel that way anymore!

Creating presets was a concern the AX8 is not as powerful as its big brother, no secret there. But does sound identical! Have to be a little mindful when creating presets, I didn't have crazy effect chains when using the Axe Fx but I use to throw in extra blocks for those (what if) moments. You can still do that with the AX8 just not as much. BTW it's still more than I need.

My next concern was the cab block allot of stuff missing here, not that it mattered in my case never really used anything from here, except one. "Moter Drive". Just a little goes a long way AX8 does not have it, but I'm fine with this, two reasons. One, the IR's are so good to start with. And two the way I use it no one would ever notice live including me that's it's missing. And the AX8 is meant or I should say geared towards live use.

But my AF II is going nowhere! It handles all the recordings and the AX8 live stuff and I could not be happier>

John
Thank you for your input!

I was having a hard time with the top row of the AX8 buttons and ordered myself some of the clear tallboys. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom