AX-8 Price

So never owned a Fractal product (doesn't mean I didn't want to...) and the AX8 is going to be my first. All the threads are making me nauseous but I would love to get on the first order. Where is the preorder usually offered? Am I really going to have to be awake in the middle of the night to get on it?
There is no preorder, but there will be a waiting list. When it opens, sign up for it. No need to be awake in the middle of the night.

I get that you'd love to be one of the first to get an AX8. So would about a thousand other people. Just get on the wait list when it opens.

I'll bet there will be a pretty good stock of these. There's been a good build up to the release and lots of interest.

Color blindness is an issue for me and my MFC, anything different on the AX-8 that would help with this color wise on the LEDS?

Yes and no... I was able to get on the FX8 wait list the day it opened, and I got a FX8 in April. Last month they offered the FX8 without a wait list... If you dont want to deal with the wait list craziness, figure you have to wait another 5 months more.

This would be incorrect as it has been previously stated. Cliff is about a month away from being able to to deliver and when that happens life will be good for all of us. There is nothing to be nervous about, we will all get one when we get one. My Tom Anderson guitars take 6 months to get once it's ordered, and Tom and I have been friends for over a decade, it is what it is..... Patience..........:encouragement:

Thanks guys. I'm not terribly concerned about being the first but mainly wondering how the notice is posted. Is it in this forum... on the fractal audio homepage.... etc?

Is there going to be a separate europe waiting list? I have bought an ULTRA and a II but can't remember right now.

by the way? Does the ax-8 do stereo ultrares cabs?

I didn't get on the FX8 list immediately, but got the Fractal email offer to buy an FX8 in the first few days they went out. If you're following this forum on a daily basis or even a few times a week, you really have nothing to worry about.

I didn't get on the FX8 list immediately, but got the Fractal email offer to buy an FX8 in the first few days they went out. If you're following this forum on a daily basis or even a few times a week, you really have nothing to worry about.

Hope you're right. I've been checking their Twitter and this forum non-stop for the past few days. Haha

Ok quick question. Already have an axe fx 2 but want this for a smaller travel rig. I run the axe fx 2 with output 1 going to foh, and output 2(fx send) running to my marshalls with no cab sims on. Can I still do this with the AX8?

Thanks guys. I'm not terribly concerned about being the first but mainly wondering how the notice is posted. Is it in this forum... on the fractal audio homepage.... etc?

Brings back sad memories.. :) I remember way back when the first Axe-Fx II waitlist was pending. I watched the forum all day, every day for at least a week. Then on Sunday I was at a family gathering, couldn't check it for 4 or 5 hours. Guess what happened during that time? WAHHH! I ended up getting my Axe-Fx around 4 or 5 months after the first responders did.

Ax8 would cannibalize axefx2 and fx8 if could do audio over usb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not entirely. Less switches, a lot of people use two instances of amp blocks, etc. I think, like Helix, there will always be plenty of room for a separate rack mount unit and floorboard, or Line 6 wouldn't be releasing that. (Plus, we don't know yet if the Helix rackmount has different specs. Not that the comparison is relevant.)

Ax8 would cannibalize axefx2 and fx8 if could do audio over usb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A $99 USB interface is focused on providing a quality product at certain price point, and since that's all it focuses on, they are more likely to pick parts based on price, rather than quality.
You will not be able to hear the difference between a 96/24 recording made with a $99 Focusrite Scarlett Solo and a $2000 RME FireFace.

For re-amping on the Ax8, you can easily record a dry and wet signal from the AX8 simultaneously into an interface with at least 2 inputs (like the Scarlett Solo) connected to your laptop or better yet, your iPad or iPhone (using Focusrite iTrack Solo for instance). Do whatever you want with the dry signal later - using the Ax8 or anything else.

Realistically speaking, for recording on your laptop or iPad or iPhone in hotel rooms or other remote locations, software modeling gear like S-Gear or Amplitube really gets the job done beautifully, all you need is a guitar and a tiny interface like Apogee Jam 96k. You can record wet and dry signals into Logic and re-amp through the Ax8 or AxFxII later on.

There just isn't a reason to employ big hardware boxes like Ax8 (or Helix) for remote recording these days, and I'm really glad Cliff didn't put this cost-adding feature into the AX8 because it's just totally unnecessary. But if you need to use the Ax8 for remote recording, go right ahead, just get a tiny outboard interface, which most of us own already anyway and don't want to pay for again for in the new Fractal box.

If the AX8 shows as the success we think (and Cliff) maybe there's some "double power" one in the future, with more switches, two amps, USB audio, etc.

But, if I could bet my money on this, I would see a smaller M9-like unit <$1K for conventional pedalboards first. Sure shot.

Other possibility is a redesign for a AxeFX3, as FX8/AX8 Sharks are far cheaper than Tiger Sharks, even scaled to four instead of two, with 1/5 the price, less cooling, and the same job done. Why not?

Let's see what happens. For now, AX8 is perfect for my needs. Form factor included.

If the AX8 shows as the success we think (and Cliff) maybe there's some "double power" one in the future, with more switches, two amps, USB audio, etc.

But, if I could bet my money on this, I would see a smaller M9-like unit <$1K for conventional pedalboards first. Sure shot.

Other possibility is a redesign for a AxeFX3, as FX8/AX8 Sharks are far cheaper than Tiger Sharks, even scaled to four instead of two, with 1/5 the price, less cooling, and the same job done. Why not?

Let's see what happens. For now, AX8 is perfect for my needs. Form factor included.

I was actually hoping for a slightly cheaper 1U rack mount Ax8. I have no need for a floorboard version. Since that's not showing up anytime soon, I'll go ahead and get an Ax8, but I'll be using it as a desktop unit.

Back
Top Bottom