AX-8 Price

Was more of a joking type of question, but I appreciate your thoughtful answer and look forward to reading your book.

It's possible it was intentionally left out to keep the XL pertinent. It's pretty cool that we have a forum like this and that we can interact to some degree with the creators of these products. But at the end of the day FAS needs to do what's best for their company. I'm sure they didn't just not think of adding USB recording capabilities. They are obviously a smart bunch and spent quite a bit of thought on what should and should not be included. If you want compact stripped down, but still very capable unit at a great price get the ax8. If you need more bells and whistles get the XL. If you don't need modeling but still want great fx, get the fx8. Great line of products imo and I'll probably own all three before too long.

The AX-8 was built to a price point with quality of sound the primary consideration. It's primary use is as a live performance product. A color LCD and USB audio were not deemed pertinent for the intended application. Had those been included the price would be much higher than $1399.

The AX-8 was built to a price point with quality of sound the primary consideration. It's primary use is as a live performance product. A color LCD and USB audio were not deemed pertinent for the intended application. Had those been included the price would be much higher than $1399.

can I use the USB to send and receive midi for switching form a computer?

Yes. Exactly. Thank you!

Now, go post that on The Gear Page...

Man, some of the reactions over there!

Those of us who know, understand what the AX8 is for and what its highlights will be. We know and trust you and your company. If this much-needed product can replace more bands' analog rigs, giving them the same if not better tone and significantly faster set up and tear down (saving time and money in the process), without a lot of bells and whistles, why would there be any question about purchasing this for its intended purpose?

Cliff, is it possible to send guitar direct-track to SPDIF together with processed track somehow ? Or only processed stereo track is sent to SPDIF ?

Good grief, are people on this thread really baggin' on what the AX-8 "doesn't" have? Well, if you don't like it, don't buy it and move on. Bitchin' about it is a waste of everyones energy on this forum (at least mine anyways)... I played the AX-8 and the Helix, both at the LA Amp Show, and it wasn't even a contest. The AX-8 blew the Helix out of the water in every respect, and I WILL be buying at least one, if not two for nothing OTHER than playing live. And I would STILL buy it if Cliff had priced it at $1599, so can we all just be happy now, that we own a piece of gear from the best damn company out there, and enjoy our musical lives again? Oh wait, I was, and then I took a break to catch up on the forum... my bad....... Back to the studio I go8)

PS. I think Cliff just shot everyone ELSE in the foot:encouragement:

The only worry I have is missing the wait list, since I just sold my Axe FX II. Can't wait to pull the trigger on this unit, it is exactly what I've been looking for.

Cliff, is it possible to send guitar direct-track to SPDIF together with processed track somehow ? Or only processed stereo track is sent to SPDIF ?

you can probably do that just with rooting with the grid hard pan the processed signal left and leave right unprocessed

Not sure if this is the right thread or not; but do we know yet if the AX8 has the "reverb hold" function like the FX8/AXE 2?

I'm really looking forward to getting an AX8. I've been wanting to jump on the Fractal train for a while, just couldn't fit a rack system in my work-flow (or budget) ;0.

Come on now, USB audio is standard issue these day.. Play live with the unit.. Record via USB with the same unit. You guys dropped the ball on that feature.

can I use the USB to send and receive midi for switching form a computer?

Come on now, USB audio is standard issue these day.. Play live with the unit.. Record via USB with the same unit. You guys dropped the ball on that feature.

Not in my opinion. And as noted dozens of times here a USB interface is cheap. Those that need/want it can buy one, and those of us that don't didn't have to pay extra for it.

Different people will have different needs.
- All my playing is done live. I don't have a studio. If I need to record something, I go to a studio. Thus, I don't care much about the USB thingie but I care about volume/expression pedals.
- I do all the sound editing at home. At gigs, I play. Therefore, having a supahcool screen is not very important. Having a shiny bar protecting the knobs, is.
- I play in cover bands. That means I need more than one or two sounds. More stomps that I can assign are better than less. The usual row of Stomp/Mod/Dly/Rev/Tap in a given preset is all I need, but I need it.
- In small venues I double as sound tech and we play through our PA. I have total control on how everything sounds, but I usually set myself up last. That means less gear is more. Easy equals win.

Some units might tick all MY boxes. Some might tick none (rare). Some tick some of them. And none of us are the same.

Love the price, I'll be buying one most certainly to lighten up my setup. I think FAS having some more products to choose from is awesome. They can never please everyone. They decided to bring forth the best sounding product they could, drop a few bells and whistles and give us a very competitive price. I mean for 100 bucks more you get a lot more features with the helix, but it seems likely you'll be losing out on the most important part.....TONE. Not to mention lets wait and see the updates that come to the Helix vs all the updates and improvements that the AX8 will receive. Rant over. Interfaces are easily had for 100 bucks these days too.

Back
Top Bottom