AX-8 Price

SPDIF is not guarantee that it is possible to get direct-signal of guitar from it for re-amping because as far as I know - SPDIF is stereo out. So all you get is stereo processed signal, no direct guitar signal. Maybe I'm wrong.

Still waiting for OFFICIAL confirmation that AX8 will not have USB recording capability. I think I will not buy it if it confirms...

Would be much happier if AX8 had audio-over-USB, two amps etc and cost is about 2000 USD. Don't see the point of removing so cool features from it...

Nah, not really. Of course it's mainly a live device, but you would expect it to be flexible in the studio too, of course. Like any amplifier i.e.
So when they've already made a usb connection, they could've given us the expected soundcard in the unit....imho.

Exactly! denying certain functions because its designed as a live device is ridiculous. If Fractal could have added it they would have I imagine.

Trust me, most people who will be buying the AXE8 WILL NOT be playing live (like me). Making a product specifically and only for live use is shooting yourself in the foot.

SPDIF is not guarantee that it is possible to get direct-signal of guitar from it for re-amping because as far as I know - SPDIF is stereo out. So all you get is stereo processed signal, no direct guitar signal. Maybe I'm wrong.

Still waiting for OFFICIAL confirmation that AX8 will not have USB recording capability. I think I will not buy it if it confirms...

Would be much happier if AX8 had audio-over-USB, two amps etc and cost is about 2000 USD. Don't see the point of removing so cool features from it...

So.... spend $250 more and get an XL+? and be happy?

No way. Plenty of bands out there are looking for a great, all in one solution for their gigs that actually sounds like their tube amp rigs. The AX8 is that solution.

Would it be a nice feature? Of course. Necessary? That depends on the user.

And no matter what, the AX8 can still, easily be used for recording.

Exactly! denying certain functions because its designed as a live device is ridiculous. If Fractal could have added it they would have I imagine.

Trust me, most people who will be buying the AXE8 WILL NOT be playing live (like me). Making a product specifically and only for live use is shooting yourself in the foot.

But what if it helps them meet a certain price point and those who want that feature can simply buy an outboard device?

It was almost certainly done for a technical reason (guess: CPU use, given that AX8 CPU << AFX2 CPU) and/or possibly to hit that amazeballs price point. Get over it. For the most part Fractal's design decisions have been fully on point wrt quality versus features engineering trade offs. You can drop $2K on the big unit or buy an interface or get an inferior product that has a bunch of checklist items but no tone. ;)

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. This thing is an INSANE value. A one amp channel Fractal Quantum Loaded processor + a high quality foot controller all in one package? $1399? Heck yes! OH wait? If I want to hook it to a DAW I have to buy a $100-$200 audio interface that many people probably already own and is likely of general use in addition to the AX8? Deal breaker!!

The internet is LULZ.

you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time...

First let me say I would've really dug a full featured axe 2 in a floorboard but to be able to get fractal amps, cabs and most of the fx for 1399?? I think that's awesome!

There's so many options for recording, reamping etc that for me, who cares if it's not in the ax8. You don't have any other interface or reamp box in your studio? On the other hand, I can see some small home studios wanting an all in one simple solution but after you'd add in all the stuff you're asking for might as well just buy a used axe 2 or a Hlx.

It was almost certainly done for a technical reason (guess: CPU use, given that AX8 CPU << AFX2 CPU) and/or possibly to hit that amazeballs price point. Get over it. For the most part Fractal's design decisions have been fully on point wrt quality versus features engineering trade offs. You can drop $2K on the big unit or buy an interface or get an inferior product that has a bunch of checklist items but no tone. ;)

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. This thing is an INSANE value. A one amp channel Fractal Quantum Loaded processor + a high quality foot controller all in one package? $1399? Heck yes! OH wait? If I want to hook it to a DAW I have to buy a $100-$200 audio interface that many people probably already own and is likely of general use in addition to the AX8? Deal breaker!!

The internet is LULZ.

Totally agree with you.
It was just a matter of time until we had the "Fractals design team are RIDICULOUS!! The AX8 should have the built in thing-a-ma-bobs etc..." post.

Last edited:
XL = additional weight and external controller...

That is exactly what I wanted to say.

I don't know why everybody are raving about AX8's low price. For me, if device has everything I need - I buy it no matter the cost. If it doesn't have all I need - I'll pass. Audio interface (or at least ability to get guitar direct-track from SPDIF somehow) is critical for me. I don't want to have both XL+ and AX8. But I need most compact AXE FX with recording capability and I hoped AX8 is what I needed...

If AX8 doesn't have USB audio interface - I hope Fractal will produce AX16 (or something) someday. Same size, all features of AXE FX 2 and price the same or more than XL+ (because foot controller is built-in). That what I will buy in a blink of an eye.

But what if it helps them meet a certain price point and those who want that feature can simply buy an outboard device?

I agree about reaching a certain price point....which is why I mentioned that if Fractal could have they would. I imagine they didn't add it because it would have elevated the price too much.

Ill just have to get a mixer....no biggie

Man, if this came out a few years back when I was umming and awwwing about getting an Axe FX, I would have snapped it up immediately. It took me quite a while to justify the price to myself seeing as I am just a bedroom player. I'm also an "Overdrive > Single Amp > Cab" kind of guy, so the lowered amount of features would be fine for me.

I know there are people out there who don't want to get into modeling stuff like the Axe FX since they feel they won't use all the features and it would be a waste... That is how I felt back when I first got into modeling and bought a PodXT. I felt like it was a waste, only using so few of the features available. Perhaps the AX8 will be good for these people.

I could see an advanced version of the AX8 coming out in the future.

If AX8 doesn't have USB audio interface - I hope Fractal will produce AX16 (or something) someday. Same size, all features of AXE FX 2 and price the same or more than XL+ (because foot controller is built-in). That what I will buy in a blink of an eye.

The AX8 does not have USB recording capability! It does not have a dedicated headphone jack. Business decision!

When everything else is fully known about it, there's a good chance you may have some other things to complain about, because it's not the flagship Axe-Fx II XL+.........It's a somewhat stripped down unit that Fractal feels needs to hit the $1399 price point to compete....it's called business!

If you want an all in one floorboard with every bell & whistle go & buy a Line6 Helix. There is a chance you won't even think the Helix modeling is inferior.....you may prefer it.....who knows..

Honestly I don't get it what all the beef is all about.

XL+ is designed for the studio and road use

AX8 is designed specifically for road use.

Both are pro level pieces of gear designed to meet different needs.

The good thing is if you want a "swiss army knife" type of floor modeler .... you have many choices to pick from .. just walk into any big box store.... Heck you can even just download an app to your computer and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom