AX-8 Price

Wonder if it will contain an audio interface... If it does, I'm selling the eleven rack and all my pedals

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'm also interested in audio interface availability in AX8. It's critically important for me. If it is not included - I still wonder if it possible to get direct track and processed track from SPDIF simultaneously. I really need the re-amping.

Nothing official yet, but beta testers indicate no audio offer USB.

Given that it is designed as a stage device, it does make sense.

Nothing official yet, but beta testers indicate no audio offer USB.

Given that it is designed as a stage device, it does make sense.

Nah, not really. Of course it's mainly a live device, but you would expect it to be flexible in the studio too, of course. Like any amplifier i.e.
So when they've already made a usb connection, they could've given us the expected soundcard in the unit....imho.

Just got back from Osaka and they had a FX-8 (yes FX) for sale. 230,000 Yen. Didn't play it but it looks different to the AX-8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AX-8 does have spdif, so if the usb is only for editing and firmware upgrades there's still a way to stay in the digital realm while recording.

Also - if you want USB recording, get a used Mark I/II used for around 1500. My hunch is that the used Mark II prices will go back up to about 1700 or so in a few months, but all the AX8 GASsers are selling theirs pretty cheap recently. Happens everytime FAS releases a new modeler (except FX8, because it's for a niche market).

I'm sure there are solutions that include an AX8 and an audio interface that won't break the bank.

Haha - I hear you. But that's not the product's intended use. so.....

When I buy a knife, I don't expect it to come with a corkscrew.

Isn't it? I would say that the products inteded use would be to work both live and in a studio, like any guitar amp, and that recording via usb would be a natural feature in 2015 :)
So when I buy a knife, I don't need a corkscrew either, but I want the knife to be sharp ;-)

Also - if you want USB recording, get a used Mark I/II used for around 1500. My hunch is that the used Mark II prices will go back up to about 1700 or so in a few months, but all the AX8 GASsers are selling theirs pretty cheap recently. Happens everytime FAS releases a new modeler (except FX8, because it's for a niche market).

I'm sure there are solutions that include an AX8 and an audio interface that won't break the bank.

Already have the XL+ AND apogee soundcard, so I don't speak for myself ;-)
I would still like to be able to bring my guitar, the AX8 and my macbook to the hotelroom and record digitally including a re-amp signal....

Last edited:
I agree that in 2015, where everything runs through USB, you'd expect USB recording as well. I'm not sure what that entails from a programming or hardware standpoint though. Maybe the increased cost wasn't worth it. Or maybe they're trying to push recording musicians toward an XL+.

As far as your comment 'I want the knife to be sharp', you're implying that you want the tool to do it's job, very well. Which it will... IMO, because it's job is amp/cab/effects modeling, which we already know is top notch :)

Last edited:
I'm on the other side of the fence. Recording isn't a huge priority for me. It's a nice to have but not a have to have, much like tone matching and dual amps. I feel like I'm the target audience for the AX8 based on the functionality, whereas you and other people who like to record are the target for the XL+, ideally.

Again though, there are many recording solutions that don't involve spending an additional $1000 for an XL.

I agree that in 2015, where everything runs through USB, you'd expect USB recording as well. I'm not sure what that entails from a programming or hardware standpoint though. Maybe the increased cost wasn't worth it. Or maybe they're trying to push recording musicians toward an XL+.

It was my impression that the only sacrifice for audio-over-USB was using resources on the unit. In which case, I would like to have the choice to use one or two less effects blocks and still be able to do audio-over-USB. I mean, that same choice is already present on the rack units (I had certain presets on my AxeFX2 that I had to tone down if I wanted to use AoU or they would hit the CPU limit).

In my perfect world, any modeller with a USB port would be able to do audio-over-usb. But it's hardly unprecedented for it to be absent. The Kemper and Amplifire both don't have it (that was one of my factors in choosing an AxeFX2 over a Kemper in fact) and people have managed to live with it.
-
Austin

I'm on the other side of the fence. Recording isn't a huge priority for me. It's a nice to have but not a have to have, much like tone matching and dual amps. I feel like I'm the target audience for the AX8 based on the functionality, whereas you and other people who like to record are the target for the XL+, ideally.

Again though, there are many recording solutions that don't involve spending an additional $1000 for an XL.

No, to me it's 50/50. I do more than 100+ gigs per year, so I hate dragging the XL+ and pedals and racks around (even with a crew). So to me the AX8 would be perfect. Just a cable and AX8 in a suitcase and ready for a show. But I also do a lot of studiowork, and I'd like to use the AX8 there as well, because it would be my main unit. And then....it would be very nice with audio over usb, first of all for re-amping. Like the Helix etc. BUT, they haven't included it, so no point bitching about it :)

Can anyone give me the exact outer dimensions of the AX8, L x W x H?

Edit: nevermind, I found it (same as FX8)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom