AX-8 Firmware Version 10.00

Anyone else having this issue with the 10.0 or beta versions like me?

- When I plug the AX8 to my computer via USB after 30s-1min or so all of a sudden the AX8 will completely freeze and turn off the amp/cab and all effects and the right side will be crazy loud clipping the preamps on my interface
- It's done this with all of the beta 10 firmware and the new 10.0 version.
- Never did this when I was on 9
- I have no idea why it would go louder on one output as I have them completely equal
- Turning the AX8 off and on fixes it, but it happens every time I have the usb connected to the AX8
- Order of plugging in and starting laptop and ax8 does not matter
- Does not happen when a usb cable is ONLY plugged into ax8, only when connected to computer
- Does not matter if AX8 edit is open or not
- plugging in stereo via two XLR's to a Apogee Duet
-2017 15" MacBook Pro with the USB-C ports on 10.13.6 OS

Mine hasn't done the but it has 'frozen' couple of time since updating. This seems to happen after disconnecting from AX8 edit. A reboot fixed it both times.

With 9.04, going to "Preferences" and un-checking the "Automatically pause the comunications when..." box didn´t work as good as it does now. Great for me.

is there a list of new amps that were added on Q10? there are so many that it's hard to keep track lol

So I finally updated. I had recorded a bunch of clips with my basic amp blocks, and I re-amped them with FW10. Level and gain staging wise, it's the same - the integrated loudness levels were all the same within +/- 0.5 dB.

But I definitely hear some lovely added girth and clarity. I like it.

OK, this gets asked much sooner in any AxeFX FW-thread, but is a soft reset required for this FW-update? I don't think I have used any advanced parameters in the amp block.

OK, this gets asked much sooner in any AxeFX FW-thread, but is a soft reset required for this FW-update? I don't think I have used any advanced parameters in the amp block.
compared to FW 9? required, no, it probably would have said in the release notes.

but this FW focuses primarily on amp modeling, so i probably would reset the amp blocks. i mean, i did. and i like it. i kept my non-reset presets too. they still sound "good" but the preset i reset amps and re-tweaked i feel sounds better due to "correct" advanced defaults.

your call :D

So I finally updated. I had recorded a bunch of clips with my basic amp blocks, and I re-amped them with FW10. Level and gain staging wise, it's the same - the integrated loudness levels were all the same within +/- 0.5 dB.

But I definitely hear some lovely added girth and clarity. I like it.

Soft Reset? What's a Soft Reset? The manual refers to resetting system settings and notes that presets are never affected. Is that what you are referring to? Can someone explain what a Soft Reset is and exactly what it does?

Soft Reset? What's a Soft Reset? The manual refers to resetting system settings and notes that presets are never affected. Is that what you are referring to? Can someone explain what a Soft Reset is and exactly what it does?
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/necessary-to-refresh-after-fw-update.141701/#post-1678747

generally speaking, no.

major modeling updates - like FW10 - can affect the amp tone though. the underlying parameters are changing, so what "3" on a dial sounded like before, might now be at "6" on the dial. that's just a general description of what is going on. but the thing is, you might not want "6" on the dial because the modeling changed and sounds better at a different setting.

for the most part, your existing presets will sound good. maybe at most you have to adjust the Level in the Amp block due to the changes.

but many people suggest doing a "soft reset" of the Amp block. you do this by choosing a different amp type (anything else) then go back to the Amp type you originally had. this will set many advanced parameters to the new defaults of the new modeling. again, levels may change, but most of the Basic controls won't (bass, mid, treble, etc.). usually this already sounds better as the new defaults work best with the new modeling.

it's called a soft reset because you aren't resetting the entire block with the Reset command, just advanced parameters to defaults primarily.

so it's your choice. you might want to Save your presets to a new number (creating a duplicate) then try the soft reset method. you may have to adjust some things, but usually it ends up sounding better with less adjustments.

depending on what FW you're updating from, new additions to blocks and other features may require adjustments as well, but those are usually documented in the Release Notes.

there is a function in AX8-Edit that is specifically called "Refresh after FW Update." this forces the AX8-Edit program to get the new defaults and information from the hardware so everything communicates correctly. click Settings, then Refresh after FW Update to do this.

Geez Chris you're pretty fast - I was just about to say please ignore my post because I had just found the answer in another thread. Thanks so much for your (incredibly) fast reply!

If it sounds good, it's good

I'll rephrase the question - the Plexi 2204 is based on a non-MV amp, correct? So unlike the other amps where the MV is 'best' (in the real world) on 10 to push it, this model is not designed that way?

Back
Top Bottom