AX-8 comparing to AX-FX II

Pete Lallis

Hello users and friends of Fractal.

I need your opinion please.
I just got the AX-8 .
I need to know your opinion if you have to play live but you do not have the chance to carry with you rack cases and other live stuff.

Do you really believe that the AX-8 does the job ?
Or i have to go for the AX-FX II?

What do you think ?
Is it better to go for the rack ?
or
Keep the AX-8?

Unfortunately i do not have the chance to test both of them at the moment

the ax8 does the job for me every time i use it.

as with any gear, it depends on what you need or want. without knowing that, we can't answer your question.

Thanks for replying.
What I want is not to set a rack unit in a studio and use it as an external effect.
What I need is ,
instead of using software like guitar rig 5 or bias or any other software based effect to use a simple small pedal board that I can carry anywhere and just plug in without amps.only direct connect to the pa or studio mixer and get the best possible drive sounds.
Now if the ax-8 is the unit that does this them ok
But if I can have more privileges and better sounds with the ax-fx ii because of its different algoryrhmes then there us my question.
The ax-8 or the rack?
Thank you..

It's the EXACT same sounds.

The Axe Fx has more input/output capabilities, you can run two amps at the same time, and theres more processor power = more effects pr. patch. None of which I've ever needed in my 2 years of owning, being extremely happy with, and using my Ax8 live. My buddy has an AxeFX 2, and while it sounds great too, he has said on more than one occasion that he wishes the Ax8 was available when he bought his.

It's the EXACT same sounds.

The Axe Fx has more input/output capabilities, you can run two amps at the same time, and theres more processor power = more effects pr. patch. None of which I've ever needed in my 2 years of owning, being extremely happy with, and using my Ax8 live. My buddy has an AxeFX 2, and while it sounds great too, he has said on more than one occasion that he wishes the Ax8 was available when he bought his.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I can understand fro the beginig how good is the Ax-8.
But I need to listen and from other users their opinion ...
Thank you..

When using the same settings, the AX8 sounds exactly the same as an Axe-Fx II. There are threads here that compare the other features - do a search or maybe someone can find it for you. This has been discussed many times since the AX8 came out, so just saying that there is a lot info already out there.

pedal board that I can carry anywhere and just plug in without amps.only direct connect to the pa or studio mixer and get the best possible drive sounds.

I've used the AX8 for almost two years now and never once thought "I wish the AX8 would do...." anything more than it already does. It sounds amazing and everything I need goes in and out out of the car in one trip.

I have been gigging with the AX8, and it is awesome. I also have an AXE at home in my studio. The AX8 is perfect for gigging. I just take the AX8, an expression pedal (Fractal EV-1) and cables to connect all of it. I use quality cables (XLR and 1/4") so I am ready for any connection I have to make. I keep my AX8 in a rolling laptop bag. Holds all my accessories as well. Set up takes >5 min. I play with a wide variety of musicians, in a wide variety of settings. The AX8 rules.

I have both and use both live. For my club gig I prefer the AxeII. Yes, they sound the same if you don't use the features that the AxeII has over the AX8. I think my AxeII sounds a little better because I have tweaked some features that the AX8 does not offer. I don't use dual amps, but I do use for example, dephase and speaker proximity. I can't do those same things in the AX8. But we are talking about a very subtle difference. Maybe a few percent. and I doubt anyone else hears that difference other than the person playing it. But the AX8 is a lot more convenient for most people. One other thing I like about the AxeII is the ease of adjusting things using the front panel. I find tweaking anything on the AX8 via the front panel to be difficult. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it.

Back
Top Bottom