AX-8 10.00 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am itching to upgrade before Mondays band practice, mainly because I have 10.01 on my AX FX II and love it. My concern is that my main patch is set up using scene controllers to control gain and volume. It seems from various reports above that using controllers / modifiers is causing issues with the RC version. Is anyone successfully using scene controllers with the RC firmware?

Installed rc1. Sounds great but found i believe a bug. When using the delay linked to bpm tempo The timings are not correct. Also in the 2 modulation tabs i have the same issue with the lfo1 and 2 Rates. I wonder if it is due to ax8 edit or yhe firmware. Just flagging.
Has someone else had this problem or am I alone?

Played arround 1 hour with a great smile:) now - usa modells work and i am very happy!

But can it be, that the FX Loop is significant more noisy than before?
Also when In2/Out2 is bridged with a TS cable there is noticeably more noise now (all Levels in the FX Loop Block are "0dB", In2=+4dBu, Out2=0dBu in the i/O Levels Menu)!

So i go to bed now and dream sweat AX8 dreams...

I'm loving the new firmware but I'm having the same issue as yourself - my FX loop block generates considerably more noise than 9.04

This is a vide sample of the new FW10 performances.
As you can see there is no audio gap even if the CPU is over 85%
It is the first time I can use Multi delay in plexi Shift mode and drive block without overload the CPU.
Every block can change the status without any gap, in the previous version the delay could cause the gap.
Thank you Fractal for this big improvement

After seeing a trend of issues with controllers being used I decided to try a few tests this morning so I re-installed v10 RC1 and opened AX8 Edit.

Bank 1, Preset 1 - DoubleVerb (Factory preset)
Changed foot switches to show scenes 1 -4 on the bottom row. (Saved)
Result: All good, tuner is smooth and scene changes using foot switches are instantaneous.

Assigned Scene Controller 1 to Amp Input Drive (Saved)
Result : All good, tuner is smooth and scene changes using foot switches are instantaneous.

Assigned values to Scene Controller 1 for scenes 1 - 4. (Saved)
Result : All good, tuner is smooth and scene changes using foot switches are instantaneous.

Assigned Scene Controller 2 to Amp Master Volume (Saved)

Assigned values to Scene Controller 2 for scenes 1 - 4. (Saved)
Result : Not good, tuner is jumpy and scene changes using foot switches have a delay before responding.

Removed Scene Controller 2 from Amp Master Volume.

Removed Scene Controller 1 to Amp Input Drive (Saved)

Assigned Scene Controller 2 to Amp Master Volume (Saved)

Assigned Scene Controller 1 to Amp Input Drive (Saved)
Result : Not good, tuner is jumpy and scene changes using foot switches have a delay before responding.

Then I tried my own preset Bank 62 Preset 1 Friedman (preset is attached to post #53.)
This preset uses scene controllers 1 for Amp Input Drive & 2 for Amp Master Volume
Result: Scene changes using foot switches have a delay between when the button is pressed and when the AX8 responds. Tuner is jumpy.

Removed scene controller 2

Re-Added scene controller 2

Removed scene controller 1

I know it wasn't the greatest test plan, but still wanted to see how the AX8 would respond with slightly different settings. Hopefully this info is helpful with determining the cause. Thanks FAS!

Last edited:

Marco, that is some pretty impressive performance with the CPU being so high. I am going to guess that you are not using any scene controllers in that preset, but let me know if I am wrong.

It is the first time I can use Multi delay in plexi Shift mode and drive block without overload the CPU.
Every block can change the status without any gap, in the previous version the delay could cause the gap.

That was great. When you kicked on scene 5 there was a kind of Fripp-y vibe. Awesome!

Any chance of sharing the preset please ????????

Love that preset Marco...

Marco, that is some pretty impressive performance with the CPU being so high. I am going to guess that you are not using any scene controllers in that preset, but let me know if I am wrong.

@ScottyB you are right, the scene modifiers are still a problem but....
I use that to compensate the audio gap... now I don't need anymore!!! :D
In this preset I only use control switch modifier to activate the boost of the amps.

The parts that would fit. We’re unlikely to learn more detail than that.

I understand that compared to the Axe-Fx III the AX8 is limited in processing power and resources. I just thought they'd be able to give us some idea of what they did. Was it just in the power amp modeling? IR's? My inner nerd wants to know.

if anything, F1 shouldn't become active when F2 is in Sticky Scene mode, or hitting F1 should cancel Sticky Scene mode. i don't think that's programmed to happen, so it is behaving as intended. unless it used to work like that before, which i don't think it did.

for now, be sure to tap out of Sticky Scene mode first.

Chris, thanks for the reply. FYI I checked 9.04 and it works the same way (so this is not a new problem), though I do think the behavior should be that stomping "F1" temporarily makes "F2" into "page up". It would certainly be sad if F1 were to cancel F2's sticky mode, since that is one of things I use the most (I almost always have F2 sticky mode on, and sometimes swap between presets). BTW, I can certainly see that trying to engage F1 sticky mode should disable F2 sticky mode, as that does not make much sense. But not the non-sticky one.

Anyway, I played some of my main patches last night: 5153, Friedman HBE, a couple of Dumble ODSs, Vibroverb, Fender Twin... they all sound fantastic. Of course they did already, I can't tell if they are any better -- but they sure don't sound any worse! And I could not find any bugs. I also tried the new Friedman 2018. Also superb.

Y'all rock for helping me rock!

Z

I've been putting RC1 through it's paces and I'm exceedingly pleased with it so far. Noticeably better sounding and I'm extra pleased with all aspects of switching. Be it scene switching or preset switching. Brilliant! Thank you so much team Fractal!

Installed the RC1 yesterday and been playing through it. All the amps sound great BTW!!!!! I ran into one issue - after playing for a couple of of hours the volume suddenly increased a lot. I usually have the output 1 knob at about 10 o'clock and the volume jump was like turning it all the way up. Also the AX8 was locked up and non-responsive. Fixed it with a reboot. Attaching the preset - a clone of the Friedman BE - though not sure its relevant to the issue.

Attachments

• CH Friedman BE.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
I am itching to upgrade before Mondays band practice, mainly because I have 10.01 on my AX FX II and love it. My concern is that my main patch is set up using scene controllers to control gain and volume. It seems from various reports above that using controllers / modifiers is causing issues with the RC version. Is anyone successfully using scene controllers with the RC firmware?

Instantiating old presets with complex controller settings is iffy. (yes, I updated after FW) A basic patch without scene controllers usually works fine. I would go over every single patch you plan to use and check it. I get lag of up to a second switching scenes with some existing presets (all using scene controllers and with controllers of some configuration.) AX8Edit, when I use it, is now very slow to react and update: not unexpected with the sea change from 9 to 10.

What works for me is to take a preset and zero out any and all scene and other controllers entirely and rebuild the scene controllers and save. That works: super fast switching all around. I also reset the amp model and re-dial it in (which may not be necessary: but as I often have some advanced parameter tweaks, and since the modeling architecture is new: thought it best to start from a default reset). Effects seem to be OK; haven't had any issues there. As I can get by just fine for the time being with four presets: I've rebuilt those, and I'll just play guitar, and don't feel the need to dig any deeper until FAS and the rest of you hard workers get it sorted out. Once the official 10 release and an updated AX8Edit are out, I'll rebuild the preset library as needed: but it's not worth my time at the beta stage to get into that. If I had mission critical gigs in the offing: I'd go back to 9.04, but I don't; so 10RC and four presets is ample for a glorious playing experience.

Last edited:
Instantiating old presets with complex controller settings is iffy. (yes, I updated after FW) A basic patch without scene controllers usually works fine. I would go over every single patch you plan to use and check it. I get lag of up to a second switching scenes with some existing presets (all using scene controllers and with controllers of some configuration.) AX8Edit, when I use it, is now very slow to react and update: not unexpected with the sea change from 9 to 10.

What works for me is to take a preset and zero out any and all scene and other controllers entirely and rebuild the scene controllers and save. That works: super fast switching all around. I also reset the amp model and re-dial it in (which may not be necessary: but as I often have some advanced parameter tweaks, and since the modeling architecture is new: thought it best to start from a default reset). Effects seem to be OK; haven't had any issues there. As I can get by just fine for the time being with four presets: I've rebuilt those, and I'll just play guitar, and don't feel the need to dig any deeper until FAS and the rest of you hard workers get it sorted out. Once the official 10 release and an updated AX8Edit are out, I'll rebuild the preset library as needed: but it's not worth my time at the beta stage to get into that. If I had mission critical gigs in the offing: I'd go back to 9.04, but I don't; so 10RC and four presets is ample for a glorious playing experience.

Thanks so much for your reply. I have an important rehearsal tomorrow ahead of a big (for us!) gig, so I have decided not to risk upgrading for now.

I GIGed it last Thursday, but tested every patch i was going to use. No issues were encountered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom