AX-8 10.00 Release Candidate #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could something else have changed? I've auditioned my own patches and over a hundred factory patches, and none of them turned shrill or lifeless with FW 10.

Without hearing what your patch sounds like now compared to what it sounded like before, there's no way to say for sure how to change it to get back what you had. Is there more gain than before or less? Adjust the gain accordingly. Is there too much treble? Turn down Treble. And so on...

I wanted to do a fair comparison so I played a few minutes with 9.04, upgraded to 10RC2 and played again, same patch, same scene. I should probably mention that I'm very sensitive to high end content in my patches, my process involves adjusting until "just right" and readjusting again with fresh ears on the next day until I don't feel I need to tweak anymore. That's what I had with this patch and lost with 10RC2.

Turning down treble on a plexi will actually introduce more treble (depending on how much gain you're using) because the power amp will dessaturate. I was controlling high end in this patch with the presence control, but it feels somewhat different in 10RC2.

Just upgraded and the plexi patch that took months to perfect now sounds shrill and lifeless. Any ideas on how to find the sweet spot again? Does the same model in 9.04 have more or less gain than 10RC2?

And in case I can't dial it back to what it was, is there any way I can downgrade?

Btw, to me what others perceive as "more clarity" is just more high end. I don't want more high end.

On a different note, for those keeping track, my main patch went from 87% (9.04) to 84% (10RC2).

Such a change in tone is most certainly not caused by the update. Something else is wrong. Check the Wah block, check the Power Amp Modeling and Cab Modeling parameters in Global, check your cabling.

I can’t wat to update... but too many of my presets alter the balance of stereo cabs in the output section to pan hard left and hard right so until that is fixed i shall wait with immense anticipation... the agony:confused::eek:!!!

Third tries a charm though right? You’re the man, Cliff!

Such a change in tone is most certainly not caused by the update. Something else is wrong. Check the Wah block, check the Power Amp Modeling and Cab Modeling parameters in Global, check your cabling.

I had this problem as well. Was driving me nuts. Mine was the wah. I’m sure there was an easier way to do it but... I deleted the block altogether to see if it made a difference and it did. I then just set it up again... if there is a wah in your chain I would definitely suspect that first especially if you auto engage it.

I can’t wat to update... but too many of my presets alter the balance of stereo cabs in the output section to pan hard left and hard right so until that is fixed i shall wait with immense anticipation... the agony:confused::eek:!!!

Third tries a charm though right? You’re the man, Cliff!

The "balance" issue Moke describes is in the AMP block, not the CAB block. So you should be fine.

Had a 4.5 hour rehearsal tonight with 10RC2. All good, sounds fantastic through my DXR10s, no glitches or unexpected behaviour. Fast switching. No issues with Axe-Live either.

Thanks very much FAS :)

It's easy to jump the gun and make assumptions when you've lost a sound that you spent time "perfecting" , especially when you can't see an obvious answer as to why it's gone , or turned "bad".

Great advice was given for Deny. It's also great to hear back from the person with a problem - AFTER they have found what they missed !

immediately after doing the update I noticed more treble, I do not know if I like this, I need to try it more
but indeed the change on x/y is fantastic, awesome, in my opinion it was rhe only problem on ax8

Last edited:
backup, install, update - whoa! This update kills. I'm not hearing so much "treble" as i am more note definition - which i like a whole bunch. The output panning does work as normal and all my presets are solid - fyi for those of you who may want to band aid some of your presets until they get the whole amp block thing figured out.

Not everyone is going to like the changes and is going to have their own interpretation of what's been changed and how it's perceived. I'm in the camp that the clarity is more than just increased treble, it is evident across the eq range as if a 'smoothness' effect has been removed.

There's nothing that says the firmware updates must be installed. If the changes are not improving the tone for you either stick with the previous firmware you liked or make the necessary adjustments to get the tone you want. I don't remember any firmware update that did not require at least a slight tweak to get the tones I prefer.

immediately after doing the update I noticed more treble, I do not know if I like this, I need to try it more
Well, I actually noticed less treble indeed .
I find the highs are sweeter and I can increase them more without getting harsh compared to previous FWs. It seems like the harmonic content is sorta more "aligned" with the fundamental, probably more even and less odd harmonics and fizz.
It also seems it has a little more "thump" on the attack.

Yes, it interesting how differently we hear things....and how difficult it is to describe them. 'Clarity' may be too vague. Maybe better note separation and less smearing. More descriptive? Whatever it is, I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom