AX-8 10.00 Release Candidate #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a strange behaviour:
I was on scene 3 in one of my presets, the I switched to another preset but the LEDs above the third footswitch remained lit despite the new loaded preset was correctly on scene 1 (LEDs above Fs 1 was off).
The issue went away after scrolling thru 4 or 5 presets and I wasn't able to replicate it, even after going back to the first preset.

This is the second time I experience this issue, first time happened with the first public beta IIRC.

Hey Cliff @FractalAudio, I found a bug in the 'Balance' control in the Amp block. I use this control in quite a few of my presets. I had a few emails from clients that had experienced issues with many of my presets during some of the beta versions. I usually don't upgrade until there is a stable release, but I upgraded to 'Q10 rc#2' to see what the issue was that was being reported using the latest release.

When the Amp block 'Balance' parameter is set to center or left, and outputs evenly to both sides. When set to right, there is no output at all.
Okay Cliff @FractalAudio , I just re-created this test with the AX8 on the latest release candidate #2 and the Axe Fx on Q10.01. There is still the same HUGE difference in the sound of the Drive and the Amp models, especially in the high frequency content?

In the test, I used only a Drive block and a Amp block (using only one at a time). I checked several Drive and amp models, and in all cases, the AX8 was much more 'muffled' sounding in comparison. I also tried adding a 2nd (unconnected) amp block in the Axe-Fx II to force the amp block #1 to go into 'Normal Res' mode to rule that out.

Never mind....... I'm an Idiot! See post #104 for proof..lol..

Last edited:
Okay Cliff @FractalAudio , I just re-created this test with the AX8 on the latest release candidate #2 and the Axe Fx on Q10.01. There is still the same HUGE difference in the sound of the Drive and the Amp models, especially in the high frequency content?

In the test, I used only a Drive block and a Amp block (using only one at a time). I checked several Drive and amp models, and in all cases, the AX8 was much more 'muffled' sounding in comparison. I also tried adding a 2nd (unconnected) amp block in the Axe-Fx II to force the amp block #1 to go into 'Normal Res' mode to rule that out.

Check your global EQ and Cab block filters. I'm not hearing anything like that here and obviously everyone seems quite pleased.

ERR MEH GURD!!! :oops:o_O:rolleyes::confused::mad::(;)

I was doing and in person session with the client yesterday. Had the AX8, Axe-Fx II, Axe-Fx III, and a Helix, all powered up and connected to their respective editors, all at the same time. Porting his Helix presets over to the AX8 and demoing the differences of the other platforms. I was demonstrating the global EQ's at the very end at the very end of the session, and left global EQ 1 on my AX8, setup shaving off some of the highs......................

My Apologies to you @FractalAudio and everyone else on this thread.

However the 'Balance' bug seems legit??

Last edited:
Check your global EQ and Cab block filters. I'm not hearing anything like that here and obviously everyone seems quite pleased.

RC2 is the first version of 10.0 I tried, and I had to immediately revert because of how some of my favorite Moke presets sounded. Rebel Yell scene 2 is COMPLETELY different on 9.04 and 10.0 RC2. Blue on Black scene 4 is another example. They’re all fuzzy and extra distorted sounding. I’m sorry that’s as technical as I can really get.

Most everything else sounds better.

RC2 is the first version of 10.0 I tried, and I had to immediately revert because of how some of my favorite Moke presets sounded. Rebel Yell scene 2 is COMPLETELY different on 9.04 and 10.0 RC2. Blue on Black scene 4 is another example. They’re all fuzzy and extra distorted sounding. I’m sorry that’s as technical as I can really get.

Maybe direct that at @Moke instead of Cliff? He can't help you fix it, but Moke can.

I think it is unexpected behavior for everyone involved, and Moke is known to push these things in odd directions no one else even tries, so who knows what is going on. Of course I let him know directly as well.

@FractalAudio I can confirm what @Moke is reporting with the Balance control in the AMP block. Using preset with just an AMP block in it, setting the Balance hard left shows no change in the actual panning of the signal. Setting Balance hard right kills the signal entirely.

That is related to the Amp block 'Balance' parameter bug mentioned in post #91. It has affected many of my presets. Once it's fixed, everything should work as intended? It does on the Axe-Fx II running Q10.01.

Just upgraded and the plexi patch that took months to perfect now sounds shrill and lifeless. Any ideas on how to find the sweet spot again? Does the same model in 9.04 have more or less gain than 10RC2?

And in case I can't dial it back to what it was, is there any way I can downgrade?

Btw, to me what others perceive as "more clarity" is just more high end. I don't want more high end.

On a different note, for those keeping track, my main patch went from 87% (9.04) to 84% (10RC2).

Just upgraded and the plexi patch that took months to perfect now sounds shrill and lifeless.
Could something else have changed? I've auditioned my own patches and over a hundred factory patches, and none of them turned shrill or lifeless with FW 10.

Any ideas on how to find the sweet spot again?
Without hearing what your patch sounds like now compared to what it sounded like before, there's no way to say for sure how to change it to get back what you had. Is there more gain than before or less? Adjust the gain accordingly. Is there too much treble? Turn down Treble. And so on...

Last edited:
Just upgraded and the plexi patch that took months to perfect now sounds shrill and lifeless. Any ideas on how to find the sweet spot again? Does the same model in 9.04 have more or less gain than 10RC2?

And in case I can't dial it back to what it was, is there any way I can downgrade?

Btw, to me what others perceive as "more clarity" is just more high end. I don't want more high end.

On a different note, for those keeping track, my main patch went from 87% (9.04) to 84% (10RC2).

So when it’s someone else’s opinion it’s a perception. And when it’s your opinion it’s....perception? You must be new round these parts.

Apart from observing that your patch now has 3% less Fractals so can't sound as good; has your patch got a wah block in it?; many have had the issue where the Wah defaults on and the patch sounds shrill all of a sudden. It's happened to me several times. Other than that I would look through settings for anything amiss and turn blocks off to see if I could find anything weird. I haven't noticed any shrillness in anything since upgrading. The other thing to consider is to do the download again; I am sceptical about this but some have said previously that they have needed to re-load new firmware to overcome issues.

Reactions: Rex
Friends I have problem when I give a reset to the amplifier block, change amp! Does it happen the same?
If you select 'Reset' it will completely reset the block including the amp/effect model. Choose 'Reset Current Effect Type' and it will reset just the parameters of the current amp.

INSTRUMENT INPUT PAD
Change this setting to 0dB, 6dB, 12dB or 18dB
At 10.00 RC I have 0dB set and it is too strong signal.
At 9.4 I had 6dB and it was ok. What's the problem?

INSTRUMENT INPUT PAD
Change this setting to 0dB, 6dB, 12dB or 18dB
At 10.00 RC I have 0dB set and it is too strong signal.
At 9.4 I had 6dB and it was ok. What's the problem?

It's the normal behaviour: It's an attenuator, so if you set it to 0dB you have a stronger signal than if you set to 6db...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom