1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug? Avid Pro Tools Latency?

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Bugs' started by Phuxem, Sep 25, 2018.

1. #1 Phuxem, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Phuxem

Phuxem
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Hey guys! I'm running a 48khz/24 bit Pro Tools session and am using the Axe FX III as the audio interface. I'm recording a dry signal and then using the Axe FX III to monitor the dry signal through a simulated amp along with rest of the recorded session:
    • Main outs for the session are Computer Outputs 1+2 (Output 1 & Headphone Out)
    • Recording dry guitar with Computer Inputs 5+6 (In 1/Instrument)
    • Monitoring dry guitar performance with outputs 7+8 (IN USB into Axe FX III amp, cab, etc)
    (referring to p. 19 of the Axe FX III manual for input/output names)

I'm noticing a latency, which I'm guessing is totally normal given digital recording and all. But I play metal so every microsecond is super critical when recording/monitoring/double tracking. So the question is:

What's the proper setting for a dry guitar track's SAMPLE OFFSET in Pro Tools?

My Axe FX III's buffer is currently set to 256 samples, so my guess would be -512
    • 256 samples IN + 256 samples OUT = 512
    In theory, Pro Tools would play the dry track 512 samples earlier than the other recorded tracks: But instead a track offset of -1024 or -1200 seems to more sound correct. Is this right? Wha't the proper way to go about calculating this? Is there a recording method or trick that helps in hunting for the correct value? And what's the best way to go about calculating this for reamping?

Thanks in advance!