AVID Delisted from NASDAQ

AVID may eventually bite the big one, but I have a feeling Pro Tools will be bought by someone else and remain around for a long time. It's so ingrained in the professional recording industry that I can't see it going away if AVID goes away.

The article mentions that. Honestly though, I don't know who would buy it at this point. Microsoft? Google? I can't even see that happening, as it's not as though PT actually provides anything at this point that other DAWs don't do (and often do better).

The article mentions that. Honestly though, I don't know who would buy it at this point. Microsoft? Google? I can't even see that happening, as it's not as though PT actually provides anything at this point that other DAWs don't do (and often do better).

Exactly. But PT has the trust of a lot of heavy weight studio moguls around the world, i hate PT, i did what i could to try to like to work with it, but i just was too used to Logic, its like working on a mac and then try and work on a Windows machine for me.

Over the years Avid has tried to wring every dollar out of its various technologies with what some would characterize as ruthless upgrade plans, and every time their substantial customer based would wince with pain but eventually give in.

I'm just a lowly home studio user and I "winced" and left. Perhaps there were many more like myself. This approach did not endear them to the home studio crowd which Digidesign had at some level, been trying to develop.

I've been very happy with Reaper, and I'm grateful there was an option like this available. Ironically, I'm using it through my Digidesign 003 Rack, although driver support for it will end at some point.

Terry.

FWIW, I've never used PT and based on the coverage and reviews I've seen it doesn't offer me a compelling reason to switch as a home user. I think I originally started with Cakewalk because it was included in something I bought, but I went to Logic when I got a Mac. I've used studio one on Windows and it's not bad either, but I prefer Logic.

Logic Pro X was £140 for a full working version with a studio drummer. Even the student version of PT 10 is more than that. Same goes for Cubase 7. Having said that, I do get the feeling that Logic X's streamlined UI is to tempt hobby players into the professional domain. Who can argue with £140 and the global support of the Apple help forums?

If delisting Avid from the NASDAQ is anything like uninstalling PT from a Mac then it will still be around for years ... or at least bits of it!

Oh the fun I had trying to track down why a s/h iMac I got a while back was crashing after I had my usual apps installed ...... all turned out to be down to old left behind Avid related extensions and PACE iLok security crap. Previous owner had PT installed at some stage ....

For all it's woes PT will more than likely be bought over if they decide to put it on the market. It has a lot of legacy users out there .... I'll never be one of them though.

Besides Reaper, and the old established DAWs that have always had their share (Cakewalk, Cubase, Logic), I think Presonus has stolen away a lot of market share with their excellent Studio One DAW. Avid is more than just PT of course. Probably didn't help them that Fractal kicked their ass on Eleven Rack :)

I'm a Logic/GarageBand guy, but if I was running M$ right now, I'd be all over PT. I'd redevelop, and relaunch it as a direct Logic competitor for the M$ platform. It won't happen, but if it did, it might actually save PT from becoming a simple reminder of the overpriced studio era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a Logic/GarageBand guy, but if I was running M$ right now, I'd be all over PT. I'd redevelop, and relaunch it as a direct Logic competitor for the M$ platform. It won't happen, but if it did, it might actually save PT from becoming a simple reminder of the overpriced studio era.

The only problem with this is that, because PT is so "old guard," a huge portion of their user base is on Mac. MS would be better served buying one of the DAWs that's taken the spotlight off PT (Reaper, Cubase, pretty much every other DAW), since newer users are less likely to be invested into Apple.

Without going into it too deeply, AVID is a really fucked up company to deal with and an absolute nightmare to work for or with.

Also :: Avid Delays Financial Reporting, But Promises Brighter Future, Including Pro Tools and Sibelius - Create Digital Music

Main point --
Avid has filed no earnings reports, including the 2013 Form 10-K American public companies must submit to the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission, the US financial regulatory body). In addition, Avid says the numbers that from 2012 are part of the restatement process. (There never was even a Q4 2012 statement.) It’s also worth noting that our bias is heavily on the audio/music side, not the video production market to which Avid caters. That is only one portion of Avid’s business, and we can’t adequately cover the rest.

Logic Pro X was £140 for a full working version with a studio drummer. Even the student version of PT 10 is more than that. Same goes for Cubase 7. Having said that, I do get the feeling that Logic X's streamlined UI is to tempt hobby players into the professional domain. Who can argue with £140 and the global support of the Apple help forums?

Yup, Logic Pro X is ridiculous value for money, even better than Reason at this stage. The only things I miss are the ease of audio editing on PT and the drum editor of Cubase. The main problem with Logic is it being Mac only.

Maybe that's true for some music projects or DIY home recorders but I have been using ProTools in a large commercial facility since 1996 (yikes). THere is no other system that could handle the type of sessions and DSP resources I need. I mix audio for a number of things, commercials, videos, movies, music.....in 5.1 surround and stereo .....The professional studios, for the most part, all use Pro Tools. There are obviously exceptions where a proprietary system is installed or a sound designer or composer uses Logic or Nuendo or something. But the major mix houses all use Pro Tools. I think that Pro Tools will survive and could always be sold off from AVID and become Digidesign again or something.

I was a long-term Logic user. I had to change to ProTools because of some bad bugs in Logic that were never fixed (and aren't to this day).
I'm still positive that some Logic programmers don't really understand some basic audio routing and workflows (and I've talked to some personally...).
If you're a commercial studio working with real musicians PT wins against Logic in almost every way.
For composing and home studio work Logic is fine though.
I can only hope Avid will get it sorted out. Some marketing department decisions are what they are: marketing decisions (mostly for the bad for clients as usual).

Maybe that's true for some music projects or DIY home recorders but I have been using ProTools in a large commercial facility since 1996 (yikes). THere is no other system that could handle the type of sessions and DSP resources I need. I mix audio for a number of things, commercials, videos, movies, music.....in 5.1 surround and stereo .....The professional studios, for the most part, all use Pro Tools. There are obviously exceptions where a proprietary system is installed or a sound designer or composer uses Logic or Nuendo or something. But the major mix houses all use Pro Tools. I think that Pro Tools will survive and could always be sold off from AVID and become Digidesign again or something.

The fact that a lot of people use it does not mean that it does anything at all as good or better than any other DAW. It simply means that it was adopted early on and a bunch of studios have stuck with it so that they can easily move projects back and forth. No more, no less. If file types were uniform across all DAWs all those studios would jump the PT ship so fast.

AVID's early success was based on the fact that there was a requirement for outboard hardware or specialty/proprietary hardware in order to perform the things needed. Once the computer platform became powerful enough to do the same thing without that hardware investment they never adapted to the market until it was to late in my opinion. They also got away from development and just started acquiring other companies products. I know that on the video side of the house that the continuity between applications suffered for it.

AVID's early success was based on the fact that there was a requirement for outboard hardware or specialty/proprietary hardware in order to perform the things needed. Once the computer platform became powerful enough to do the same thing without that hardware investment they never adapted to the market until it was to late in my opinion.

And on top of being willfully late to the 'native' audio/video software party they forced users into regular expensive hardware upgrades that became oppressive for many studios.

And when the first time buyers looked at Avid Media Composer vs. Apple Final Cut Pro, Avid lost out on an exploding market of very enthusiastic customers, as they continued to force the hardware upgrade path on existing customers.

'Pro Tools' has become a de facto standard not necessarily because it's better, but because it has brand name recognition. I'm not sure how long that can last.

Aside from the changing marketplace, most of Avid's problems are self-inflicted, IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom