AVG still necessary in Windows?

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Hi All,

I've been using AVG antivirus (Free version) for a hundred years, but their advertising popups are getting a bit old.
Is anti-virus still necessary on Windows 10 computers, or is the Microsoft Malicious tool good enough nowadays?

Thanks

Hi All,

I've been using AVG antivirus (Free version) for a hundred years, but their advertising popups are getting a bit old.
Is anti-virus still necessary on Windows 10 computers, or is the Microsoft Malicious tool good enough nowadays?

Thanks
It's much better than it used to be, but I'd suggest something on top of it.

Last edited:
The Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) is certainly helpful. Defender is the best (free/included) way to go. It's signatures (ability to identify threats) are updated throughout the day. Similar quality can be found in Norton 360, which has additional features like VPN and blocking for tracking and ads, the price tag is worth it for many. Security is never simple, but it's a good idea to do the most that can be done. The issues of protection/security and even privacy exist for all platforms... and like mr_fender said "stay current with updates.":)

I haven't used an antivirus software besides MS's own Defender for years. I do use a firewall though so I can track a bit what apps are calling outside.

We are far removed from the days when every program installer came with a bunch of spyware or whatnot.

I use windows defender, a hardware firewall, and a Raspberry Pi running Pi-Hole DNS blocker to block advertising sites for anything running in my home. I also use Open DNS as my public DNS server (free), to block DNS access malicious web sites (and other categories)

Windows Defender 4 the win, most built in security stuff in windows is far perfectly capable of keeping your system safe unless the user wants to get pawned. M$ has the best malware telemetry of course, and they know how to use it.

I use Defender and manually scan everything I download (including client files, stuff from work servers, every single installer, etc.). It's been fine so far. I basically do the same thing on other computers as well, with the sole exception of signed packages from the package managers on my *nix boxen.

Other than that, I'm trying out NetLimiter, which is a very configurable firewall that can be set to ask you about every outgoing connection on your machine, including for OS services. It's a little weird on a studio computer because it causes a significant DPC latency spike whenever it triggers a popup to ask you to allow/deny something....and it will pretty much always cause an audio glitch. It doesnlt seem to do that just from blocking something, but I might be wrong about that...haven't tested enough yet.

It's been rather interesting to see what it alerts on. I'm probably going to buy it when the trial ends. It's the same idea as Little Snitch on macOS.

I'm almost to the point of thinking that something like it is essential and worth the headaches (e.g., turning it off and disconnecting from the network when you're recording).

I do use a firewall though so I can track a bit what apps are calling outside.
Which one are you using, and are you blocking or just monitoring?

Back
Top Bottom