Misfit74

Has anyone checked these out? I have a Matrix FR212 now and I'm thinking of adding one of these new FRFR cabs from Avatar, the G212 TRADITIONAL FRFR. 500 watts RMS @4 or 8ohms. They are $729, over $200 less than the Matrix FR212 price. I want to stand up to my other guitarist's 4x12(s), who also uses Avatar (V30s/G12T-75s) and I know the Matrix does it well. Nice customization options, also. Alternatively, I could go with a 4x12 on one side and FRFR Matrix on the other (not bloody likely). I'm curious if anyone already has experience with these new cabs, of if I'm missing anything before I take the plunge. Thanks.

I use an Axe Fx II XL+ and Matrix Gt1600fx power amp.

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/guitar-cabinets/traditional/g212-traditional-frfr/

-----------------
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
NEW AVATAR G212 Traditional FRFR cab. Full range Flat response cab for Kemper and other profile/modeling type amps.

This is the Traditional 212 FRFR diagonal cab with two custom U.S. made Eminence deltalite Neo 2512s that are wired in parallel to make a standard 8 ohm cab. It is also available in a 4 ohm version. There is a Foster one inch compression horn tweeter and a full 12 db crossover with high quality mylar capacitors crossed over at about 3.9 KHz. It’s nice and flat tuned down to 60 hz. and goes up to 16,000 hz. The tweeter has its own volume control to increase or decrease the high frequencies depending on the size of the room or subjective tonal taste.
It’s rated conservatively at 500 watts rms and the in/out jackplate has two 1/4 jacks and two speakons and you can go in our out of any of them which is nice for daisy chaining out to another cab. It also comes with all of our custom color and grill cloth choices.

Cabinet Details:
All six sides of this cabinets are 13 ply birch 3/4 inch thick

The G212H Custom cab is easy and portable and goes great with combo amps, heads and rack systems.

The cab is built with the front and back board dadoed into the surrounding top, bottom and side boards making it very strong.

These interlocking side joints give extreme strength to the cab which is where we often hear, “Built like a Tank” in our reviews. The speakers are rear mounted with T-Nuts. It has two 1/4 inch and two speakon in/out jacks (for daisy chaining with another speaker cab) mounted on the steel input panel. It has protective nickel corners, large recessed steel bar handles and sturdy rubber feet. All guitar cab grills are secured by screws, not cheap Velcro. The dimensions are 24″ H x 24″ W x 12″ D. Weight is approximately 50 lbs. One year limited warranty. Speaker cabs are not sold on a trial basis and are not returnable.

Interesting take and I bet it sounds good but to call it FRFR without seeing any acoustic data backing it up might be a stretch. Personally I would have much rather seen a single 12" cab than a 212 design but kudos to Avatar for delving into the market place!

Interesting take and I bet it sounds good but to call it FRFR without seeing any acoustic data backing it up might be a stretch. Personally I would have much rather seen a single 12" cab than a 212 design but kudos to Avatar for delving into the market place!

Speaker details: "Recommended for professional audio as a mid/high or full range and monitor driver, the Eminence Deltalite II 2512 12" speaker also delivers great performance in bass guitar rigs. Works well in sealed or vented enclosures."

Attached is the tech doc on the speakers, which shows the frequency spectrum, etc.

Attachments

• 290-593--eminence-deltalite-ii-2512-specifications.pdf
    441.5 KB · Views: 14
No no, on the box Avatar has come up with, the way they have placed the drivers in the baffle will affect the overall response and time alignment. The data that Eminence has provided doesn't automatically translate over to what Avatar has built especially with the design they are using.

No doubt it's Full Range, as to how Flat the Response is would be interesting to see!

No no, on the box Avatar has come up with, the way they have placed the drivers in the baffle will affect the overall response and time alignment. The data that Eminence has provided doesn't automatically translate over to what Avatar has built especially with the design they are using.

No doubt it's Full Range, as to how Flat the Response is would be interesting to see!

Yeah, I get it, and they gave me some detail as to why they couldn't do a 4x12 or std 2x12, they designed in the traditional 2x12 box and ported, closed back, speaker placement to result in their version of FRFR. Though I love my Matrix, 2-300 less money for same output in a customizable box makes sense. I'll post when I decide, what I get. Thanks for the feedback.

Happy with the results. Option to change the horn level is great. Pairs well with my Matrix FR212. Would definitely recommend this as a more affordable yet comparable FRFR solution. The folks at Avatar provide excellent customer service.

Back
Top Bottom