Avantone Mixcube

HarrySound

Power User
just wondered if anyone had one of these speakers and what you thought about them.
Would they be helpful in dailing in Axe tones as well as working in mono for mixing?

They cost a fair bit for one so just thought I'd get some suggestions as the midrange on my krks has issues even though they are very pleasing to jam with.

Last edited:
They're good for checking mixes on, but not really for dialing in sounds for the Axe.
I have the active ones.

Whys that then? I figured the mid range focus would be pretty helpful? Is it the lack of bass or high end that's a problem?

If you have a PA that sounds similar to the mixcubes you've got a serious problem. ;-) You should do your patches on stuff that's showing you the problems - especially in the low and top end. The mix cubes won't do that. What sounds cool through them might sound horrible through full range speakers.

I kinda figured the idea was "if it sounds good on this shitty little speaker then it'll sound good pretty much everywhere"

No. If you have excessive low bass and/ or shrill high treble those speakers won't tell you.
They're for checking midrange balance only.

Great for hearing midrange info and actually masking of low mid frequency (if you have any). I used in mono along with genelec 8040's and the auratone was very useful.

Hello , I am also in doubt whether to buy them or not .... in fact I found to Avantone mixcube review and the conclusion I could draw is that in my case, they could come in handy when checking my mixes and masterings.

I don't know, maybe it will be useful for you... you will have to translate it friends.

Peace and loving greetings 😻

These are tributes to the old Auratone monitors that mix engineers would use to see how mixes would translate to cheap stock car stereos and television cheap speakers.

There's a reason why mix engineers used to nickname them "Awfultones", but if you could get your frequency and instrument balances to sound good on your soffit mounted main monitors, nearfield monitors, and Awfultones, then your mix will translate well on any system.

If your PA sounds like the Awfultones then I would rethink upgrading the PA before buying these to help translate things to that PA.

I have one of the old (and original) Auratone and I use it for checking mono and midrange. For everything else I don’t find any use…

Back
Top Bottom