Automatically select footswitch layout on preset load?

Poparad

Power User
Is it possible to have a preset automatically load a footswitch layout? My presets generally fall into a couple of categories and it would be nice to have them load a corresponding footswitch layout rather than having to assign per-preset overrides for every single preset or to have to manually select the layout from the MLM every time I switch to a preset. I've looked through the manual and the forum and I'm thinking that this isn't possible currently?

You can use Layout Links to have a preset load a specific layout. You will need to assign a Layout Link to each preset switch, it's not a Global feature.

Hmm, that really doesn't save me any button pressing compared to using the MLM. I'd still need to tap several buttons every time I switch to a preset to get to the correct layout.

It might be easier to detail what you’re trying to achieve as the layout links are quite handy.

I’m on an FM9 but mine’s set up so when I’m on the preset layout, once I select a preset it automatically switches to the Scenes layout, which saves some additional steps. I’ve also got the Looper setup so when I hold the Scenes footswitch, it activates the looper.

I have too many presets to have a dedicated preset layout. I have a good 30-40 that I use with different guitars, bass, bands, etc. Some presets are best served with scenes, some a combination of scenes and individual effects, especially now that we have scene-bypass, and some that are a combination of scenes and preset select (like when I need to switch between acoustic and electric presets quickly). It would be great to be able to load a preset and just have the corresponding layout load without having to go through additional layouts like the MLM.

I have too many presets to have a dedicated preset layout. I have a good 30-40 that I use with different guitars, bass, bands, etc. Some presets are best served with scenes, some a combination of scenes and individual effects, especially now that we have scene-bypass, and some that are a combination of scenes and preset select (like when I need to switch between acoustic and electric presets quickly). It would be great to be able to load a preset and just have the corresponding layout load without having to go through additional layouts like the MLM.
I think Per-Preset switches are tailor-made for your situation.

I think Per-Preset switches are tailor-made for your situation.
Unfortunately, that means manually programming all of the switches for 40+ presets. Also, if I want to change the behavior of any of them, I have to edit them in every single individual preset they're in and not just once for a single global layout.

Unfortunately, that means manually programming all of the switches for 40+ presets. Also, if I want to change the behavior of any of them, I have to edit them in every single individual preset they're in and not just once for a single global layout.
First world problems.. lol..

Look at Per-Preset 'Overrides'. You don't have to program all of the switches, just the ones that need to be deferent, for that particular preset.

This is exactly what Layout Links do. Yes, you will need to assign a layout link to each preset switch but it will load the layout you want for each preset.
And it’s done on the Presets layout, so it just takes a few minutes.

On all my units I adjusted the preset layout and added layout links that point to the Scenes layout view 1. Selecting a preset causes the unit to switch to the scenes for that preset. It’s like it’s anticipating my next move.

Is it possible to have a preset automatically load a footswitch layout? My presets generally fall into a couple of categories and it would be nice to have them load a corresponding footswitch layout rather than having to assign per-preset overrides for every single preset or to have to manually select the layout from the MLM every time I switch to a preset. I've looked through the manual and the forum and I'm thinking that this isn't possible currently?

Have you read page 20 of the Footswitch Functions Guide? ‘Example 1’ seems to cover exactly this scenario, no?

Whenever I hit a preset button it loads the preset and changes to Layout 7 (Performance), which contains the scenes and any preset-specific overrides for that preset.

Reactions: Rex
The problem here is that I have over 40 presets that I use. With only 9 layouts, there just aren't enough buttons to make that many layouts to select all of the presets and still have layouts left over for scenes, effects, etc.

The problem here is that I have over 40 presets that I use. With only 9 layouts, there just aren't enough buttons to make that many layouts to select all of the presets and still have layouts left over for scenes, effects, etc.
Sorry I’m confused what you’re saying. You don’t need a different layout for each preset, but if/when you need a different custom layout for a preset then you use per-preset overrides.

For example I use 2 layouts - one that shows the presets for that bank on each button, and then when I select the preset it changes to Layout 7 (which is a single layout that is called up for every preset). Then within that preset it has the default buttons for that layout (in my case four scenes and 2 CSs), but for any presets that need to deviate from that I use per-preset overrides.

Here's my setup:
I use the FM3 for electric bass, upright bass, guitar for a cover band, 8-string guitar for my originals band, guitar in jazz combos, guitar in big bands, solo guitar, and guitar in musical theatre pits. For each of these, I have slightly different setups in terms of effects, scene usage, loopers, etc, and having one layout for each of those categories is nice. I also have many presets for each of those categories both because of FM3 CPU limitations requiring multiple presets for different combinations of effects, or different levels of reverb dialed in for different rooms, or for using different guitars or basses (I have my Strat patches dialed in differently than my Les Paul ones, different from my 135, etc).

All in all, about six layouts covers most of my needs for over 40 presets. Not having to manually program per-preset switches for every single preset would be much more efficient. It's bad enough that global blocks still aren't a thing on the FM3 (we had them on the AxeFX II over a decade ago!), so I'd rather not have to deal with another non-global annoyance.

Back
Top Bottom