Automatic Guitar Tuner!?!?!?!?

I've talked to a guitar tech that I respect in my area, and he said he tried that system and it worked pretty well, I'm considering installing it on my backup guitar which I just leave onstage on a stand..this way if I need it quick it will be ready to use, for my main guitar i'll probably just continue to use standard tuners, as i don't really have any trouble keeping it in tune.. I think the Tronical system is very cool, assuming it works as advertised, and I'm happy to see these types of developments..

My understanding is that your can have lot's of different tunings available, so having it on an acoustic guitar and electric, you can cover what normally would take tons of guitars onstage,(if you do songs with different tunings), that alone is worth a lot of $$ to me, and it sounds real, unlike some guitars that can do it by pitch shifting.

My understanding is that your can have lot's of different tunings available, so having it on an acoustic guitar and electric, you can cover what normally would take tons of guitars onstage,(if you do songs with different tunings), that alone is worth a lot of $$ to me, and it sounds real, unlike some guitars that can do it by pitch shifting.

Good point!

Not bad for only $300, most other options have always been well over $1000 and you had to drastically modify your body.

Will this one handle low tunings? Dropped Bb tuned to 432?

Thoughts??
If you use a lot of tunings in a night this could be quite the handy thing to own. You'd save on having to bring multiple guitars. And if you switch tunings mid-song...well, even better to have this on your guitar. Jeff Martin from the The Tea Party was big in the the Transperformance system when it first landed and I recall one show where he used that Les Paul live, even switched tunings mid-song. But not sure if he uses the Robot guitar stuff from Gibson...

Prices sure have come down a lot on this concept. I think the Transperformance retrofit was a couple thousand when it came out.

Here is Martin running down his gear and the Transperformance-equipped Les Paul gets talked about:

[youtube]L9ppkHjgUJA[/youtube]

Martin has a whole series of videos, acoustic, on his use of alternate tunings. Part 1 starts here:

[youtube]SJtswHxx-Yc[/youtube]

And, live, killing it with an open tuning (though not with an auto-tune guitar):

[youtube]Ze65EGcmHEM[/youtube]

IMO there must be some shortcomings in these systems. Because in all the years these oh so many 'tuning systems' have been around NO BODY has stuck with a single one, and this includes folks as HUGE as Jimmy Page himself.

Back
Top Bottom