Auto-Wah

SimonW

Am I missing something, or is there no auto-wah effect in the FX8, and no facility to create one?? I just received one yesterday and have been trying to set up presets, but I don't seem to be able to find one of these. Of course, some might suggest I just use a normal wah and expression pedal, but unfortunately, my prosthetic leg makes it difficult to do this standing up, as I can't keep my balance well enough to control the pedal. I was using an auto-wah on my Boss M9, mostly for a kind of funky rhythm thing, but I really want to be able to sell that and just use the FX8 if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Simon

do you mean auto in that it constantly regularly sweeps, or one that reacts to your playing?

for the first, assign the LFO as the source for the Modifier in the Wah block's Control parameter.

for the second, assign the Envelope (follower) as the source for the Modifier in the Wah block's Control parameter.

the Owner's manual shows how to assign a Pedal to control a wah block. substitute the pedal for what i mentioned above. then continue reading about the different controllers in the pages that follow.

I see it says "Legend" under your name. Very apt! :) Thanks for the excellent advice. It was the latter I needed, so I'll have a go at that tomorrow (having spent many hours exploring it today, my brain needs a break! LOL).

do you mean auto in that it constantly regularly sweeps, or one that reacts to your playing?

for the first, assign the LFO as the source for the Modifier in the Wah block's Control parameter.

for the second, assign the Envelope (follower) as the source for the Modifier in the Wah block's Control parameter.

the Owner's manual shows how to assign a Pedal to control a wah block. substitute the pedal for what i mentioned above. then continue reading about the different controllers in the pages that follow.

yeah, there's no dedicated Envelope filter/auto-wah but there are a few ways to get there. I think most would still love to see a dedicated block.

OK, so I've been messing around with this idea (thanks, Chris) and have got it to work... basically. But no matter how I set the Control parameters I just can't get the sound I'm after. If anyone has ever used a Line 6 M9 you might have some idea what I'm after. I just don't seem to be able to get the range of tones I want with my normal playing dynamics. Also, the sound also seems a bit dirty, as though there's drive in it, but there isn't.

I'm going to keep trying things, but if anyone is able to offer any more helpful hints it would be much appreciated!. :)

Post clips. Otherwise we don't know what you're hearing and trying to achieve.

You can either attach the envelope filter to the control parameter on the wah block or you can use it to sweep the frequency on a filter block. Try the low pass or bandpass filter types for best results here.

Thanks for your prompt reply, Ian. When you say "post clips", I assume you mean links to clips? If so, I don't think I've been here long enough to be allowed to do that yet?

I have so far only tried attaching to the control of the wah block. I will have a go with a filter block as well.

Cheers
Simon

Post clips. Otherwise we don't know what you're hearing and trying to achieve.

You can either attach the envelope filter to the control parameter on the wah block or you can use it to sweep the frequency on a filter block. Try the low pass or bandpass filter types for best results here.

Thanks for your prompt reply, Ian. When you say "post clips", I assume you mean links to clips? If so, I don't think I've been here long enough to be allowed to do that yet?
Yup.

Clickty click. Now you can post links to YouTube clips and what not.

I'm a big Mu-Tron user. Have spent many hours tweaking filters and whatnot to get auto-wahs I like to play. :)

Thanks, Ian. And that sound you're getting is exactly what I'm still chasing. I think I actually got a bit closer to it yesterday but then forgot to save duh.

You're free to use my preset as a starting point. You can find it here: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6434

Thanks again, Ian. Unfortunately, that's for the Axe III, so it won't work on the FX8, but you inspired me to play around with the filter, rather than that Wah effects, and I've managed to come up with something that I'm pretty happy with overall (although still with room for refinement). So thanks again for all your help. :)

Thanks again, Ian. Unfortunately, that's for the Axe III, so it won't work on the FX8, but you inspired me to play around with the filter, rather than that Wah effects, and I've managed to come up with something that I'm pretty happy with overall (although still with room for refinement). So thanks again for all your help. :)
If you open it in FracTool, maybe you can export the blocks for the FX8?

Back
Top Bottom