Auto-Wah For Bulls On Parade

Marcel

Inspired
I'm working on some stage automation and am trying to get the wah cadence in Bulls On Parade automated using an envelope so that it'll automatically start on the downbeat when the scene is selected. I've played with the Filter Block as well but the best approach I've found is to use the LFO for the wah control and an envelope on the LFO to control On/Off. Then I set the LFO to 1/4 note tempo. This comes close as it starts the wah cycle when I start playing. The catch is the muted strings part doesn't work (stops wah) and I have to add a slight pause right before beat 1 to re-sync the auto-wah cycle to the rhythm.

I've attached a simplified version of my preset and am open to any other approaches or solutions. What I've got in this preset is close but I can't rely on it live because a simple mistake on my timing will throw off the entire riff with the drums. It would be ideal that when the scene is selected the envelope starts automatically on the downbeat - I have automation set up so that the scene is selected exactly on the downbeat. I can't figure out how to start the LFO cycle when the scene is selected.

I did search the forum but didn't really find something applicable to solve this. If you're aware of another post please paste the link here.

Thanks,
Marcel

Attachments

• Bulls On Parade.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 21
Attach an envelope filter to the wah block, not an LFO.
That was my original approach but I couldn’t get it to sync to a tempo. Can you explain how I can make that work so that the wah control is in sync with a 1/4 note tempo?

Iaresee meant select envelope controller as the wah's control modifier source. There isn't really anything to sync to a tempo then, but you'd want to adjust the envelope attack & release times and modifier shape for it to sound right. You might have to adjust your dynamics on the muted notes, playing the second one more softly to not trigger another envelope rise & fall.

If you want to still try the LFO approach, I'd suggest assigning an ADSR to the LFO's run control, with start/end or min/max values swapped. Use a "once" type ADSR with very short times to stop the LFO briefly and you can then restart the LFO by picking hard enough at any time. As you might realize, the LFO will also let you hold the power chord for a quarter note like Morello does live sometimes.

If you set a steep slope the transition comes on fast, and you can control the effect depending on how hard you hit the strings. Turn auto engage off so the wah is engaged no matter where your volume is at. Just play a loop of that riff and have at it. There is a lot of control available in the wah block. I've been playing with it lately, trying to get something like Jerry Garcia did with some of those old songs. I just listened to that song Bulls on Parade, hadn't heard it in awhile. That guy gets some crazy tones. I think you can get close with the wah block and the envelope controller. Trying to keep the tempo straight with an LFO sounds difficult, the envelope will suit you better.

What @Bakerman said. Like this:

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 9.51.48 AM.png

Though, listeing to the track, I'm pretty sure Morello just rocks his wah -- nothing auto in what he's doing as far as I can tell. And then he leaves the wah half cocked for the first part of the verse where he's playing the riff and not the chords. When the chords kick in he disengages the wah.

Is there a reason you don't want to just use a normal wah here? Because you're using your expression pedal for whammy in the solo too? You can have it do both...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great feedback. I’m going to try it this afternoon.

As for why I’m not using the normal wah is because I’m not going to be near my expression pedals at that time. From a performance aspect I’ll be either in the crowd, maybe on a table or standing on a riser by the drums. Everything automated with lighting aimed at me as well.

Ah. Yea, I think you'll definitely find using the envelope controller a better approach here then.

Back
Top Bottom