Auto-tune for guitars?

Yup. Got briefed on this in some detail when I visited the Parker factory last October. They are very excited about this. More data here:
Autotune MaxxFly

It's unfortunate that the Antares website videos use such a crappy sounding guitar for their demo.

Shame they used a white Maxx for the example. Who'd play a guitar that? ;)

I would. :) I still miss my white Fly Deluxe.

I kind of ignored this, but the one thing that I found kind of interesting and perhaps redeeming was the point made about it compensating or correcting for the guitar's natural intonation issues. It's never been a huge issue to me, but it's an interesting approach to addressing a long standing/inherent issue.

But yeah I'm not in a hurry to buy one.

I kind of ignored this, but the one thing that I found kind of interesting and perhaps redeeming was the point made about it compensating or correcting for the guitar's natural intonation issues. It's never been a huge issue to me, but it's an interesting approach to addressing a long standing/inherent issue.

But yeah I'm not in a hurry to buy one.
Earvana - Compensated Tuning Systems for Guitars

Works great with no artifacts.

Antares has already heavily contributed to the destruction of contemporary popular music. I thought it couldn't get worse. I was wrong.
See now this is where I'm kind of confused because I don't listen to most contemporary music and I don't care for most of it. So I'm not really sure if I don't care for it in general or because it's been destroyed by autotune. :)

Antares has already heavily contributed to the destruction of contemporary popular music. I thought it couldn't get worse. I was wrong.

You must have played the guitar to find it so crappy. What were your impressions?

All kidding aside, if we, digital rig players, make derogatory comments about a product untried as yet, then how can we diss the tube snobs who still make fun of our beloved machines?

Disclosure: I endorse Parker. No I have never played their new offering with autotune and it might well be a piece, but I'd be pressed to give an informed opinion about anything I have not even heard or tried.

Reactions: jon
If it can make me sound like Joe Satriani's Wind in the Trees, I'm happy :) I agree that just about every POP star has been autotuned and they don't even try to deny it anymore.

Reactions: jon
My comment was a bit tongue in cheek. The problem is with the users, not the product. It's just that when I hear new recordings of "older" people like Ozzy with pitch correction, I want to puke. It's everywhere. IMO, it has destroyed modern music. I can't listen to pitch corrected vocals. Antares and Melodyne have made modern music unlistenable for me. I absolutely hate it with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.

How about a remaster of Karen Carpenter's catalog with pitch correction. Or Aretha Franklin. Or Ella Fitzgerald. Don't laugh, if these were remastered from the original multitracks, plenty of a-hole producers would do it, along with compressing the dynamic range to zero to compete in the loudness war.

Altered tunings and pickup modeling are great. But to me, this idea of improved intonation through DSP is just more "aural Photoshop" to airbrush away the blemishes that give art its life.

Some of the Beatles recordings were way out of tune. I'll take them over pitch-corrected faux "perfection" any day. Pitch-corrected music has all the soul of a Stepford wife.

Last edited:
To my chagrin I possess Autotune. I despise the product and am ashamed I even own it, but I run a commercial studio so I have no choice - the market demands it.

Now I have no problem with "radical over-use" of Autotune - ie. where the effect is used so heavily it completely alters the source material. This can produce an interesting sound, much like a vocoder.

Using it to massage a track back to pitch accuracy is what disgusts me, it makes the music soulless and devoid of any art.

I want my women real, my beer free of artificial flavouring and my music genuine.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek. The problem is with the users, not the product. It's just that when I hear new recordings of "older" people like Ozzy with pitch correction, I want to puke. It's everywhere. IMO, it has destroyed modern music. I can't listen to pitch corrected vocals. Antares and Melodyne have made modern music unlistenable for me. I absolutely hate it with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.

How about a remaster of Karen Carpenter's catalog with pitch correction. Or Aretha Franklin. Or Ella Fitzgerald. Don't laugh, if these were remastered from the original multitracks, plenty of a-hole producers would do it, along with compressing the dynamic range to zero to compete in the loudness war.

Altered tunings and pickup modeling are great. But to me, this idea of improved intonation through DSP is just more "aural Photoshop" to airbrush away the blemishes that give art its life.

Some of the Beatles recordings were way out of tune. I'll take them over pitch-corrected faux "perfection" any day.

Amen.

pitch correction, although 'fixing' the fundamental has significant impact on the upper harmonic structure, it's torture. like over using photoshop's 'unsharp mask' function.
It sucks the life out of everything.

not even going to listen to autotune guitar, always hated "autotune" vocals.
things like this have the potential to diminish the art of instrumental music imho.

Last edited:
I also hate autotune with a passion! :/ I am a bit old school - you have to LEARN how to sing/play, and when you are ready to record, if it's not right, you do it again till it is.

That being said, I DO embrace technology, and I have used technology to fix things here and there that may have been missed and need to be. It's good to have, but I use it only when I need it. I also try to make sure nobody is looking when I do! :lol

I'm open to this new tech too. Doubt it would make me get it, as it seems to be somewhat poorly implemented, but it's too early to say yet.

I checked the videos: when the autotune is engaged the guitar sounds compressed and absolutely lifeless.
Anyway this is a good news for guitar newbies: you don't need to learn how to control your left hand pressure over the strings, you don't need to learn how to make in tune bendings. Just like modern singers don't need to learn how intonate their voice.

Disgusting.

Regarding autotune, the effect is so obvious and pronounced that there is the possibility that in the future we'll see a shift. Music that relies too heavily on autotune will sound dated and it will fall out of favor. That's my hope, at least.

Back
Top Bottom