Wish Auto-Snapshot

dongzo

Experienced
Would be nice if AE could make an auto-snapshot put in a seperate /backup folder every xx minutes.

I had been tweaking a nice preset for around an hour. Connection was interrupted and my preset was gone.
Tried to make a snapshot before i reconnected my axe...which actually worked. But it wasn't the edited preset that was saved...just the original one :(

Cheers :)

I vote no, or the feature should be disableable.
It doesn't have to save over your current preset of course, but alongside somewhere.
Can't hurt that way.
But yes, make it optional and include a specifiable interval.

I don't want files growing uncontrolled on my filesystem! :)

Just do like Adobe in Premiere Pro..... default there is: autosave=on, autosave every 15min, MAXimum versions= 20

So, problem solved as the cycle backup method prevents uncontrolled growth :)

Auto-snapshot is actually something that's on the unofficial planning list.

"Auto-snapshot every [__] (o) changes (o) minutes and keep no more than [__] versions"

There are a lot of higher priority projects so I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't looked into for some time.

Would be nice if AE could make an auto-snapshot put in a seperate /backup folder every xx minutes.

I had been tweaking a nice preset for around an hour. Connection was interrupted and my preset was gone.
Tried to make a snapshot before i reconnected my axe...which actually worked. But it wasn't the edited preset that was saved...just the original one :(

Cheers :)

How was it gone? When Axe-Edit has had communication timeout errors, I can still save it through the front panel of the Axe-Fx.

"Auto-snapshot every [__] (o) changes (o) minutes and keep no more than [__] versions"

There are a lot of higher priority projects so I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't looked into for some time.

This would actually be very cool with a step back or forward functionality like you see in photoshop and other similar apps.

How was it gone? When Axe-Edit has had communication timeout errors, I can still save it through the front panel of the Axe-Fx.

Power outlet was turned off by accident by my wife...because surely it wasn't me ;)
But true...you could allways save from front panel. Still...it would be nice to be able to just go back a few versions when you have taken a wrong turn. And you would be safe from axe crashes and power failures as well.

Cool....better late than never :)

To me, this is a workflow problem not an AE feature issue. I view this as no different than writing a document of any kind of your PC. You make backups (snapshots) as you go, so you don't lose your work. As the OP implied it sucks to do all that work and lose all the effort.

Instead of expecting the software to save your butt, change the workflow and learn to snapshot presets while working on them. I for one do not want to offset that tiny amount of effort with having to manage a boat load of auto-backups in a folder buried deep on my PC !

YMMV.

To me, this is a workflow problem not an AE feature issue. I view this as no different than writing a document of any kind of your PC. You make backups (snapshots) as you go, so you don't lose your work.
+1. Working without saving is a bad habit.

Back
Top Bottom