Auto-Match cab to amp?

sskkmm

Power User
I did try to see if this was already discussed / wishlisted but it hit me that woudln't it make sense for the software to automatically match the loaded amp with a common cab? I know that there are no "right" cabs, but why not match 'em up to start with a recommend / matching cab?

So if I am auditioning amps and have a cab block loaded, there would be the option to "Automatically Load Matching Cab" in there somewhere..

Just a thought.

To me the workflow would be more of:

New Preset From Amp...

Where you pick the amp and it drops an Amp block and a Cab block into a new preset. All setup with middle of the road "good" settings.

Any workflow where you select a parameter in one block that needs information about another block, e.g. the amp and cab blocks already in the grid, I believe is problematic.

I think it would be more useful if recommended cabs for active amp blocks were highlighted in a different colour in the menu, or had a star next to them, or something like that - but definitely with an option to turn the feature off. That would allow noobs to avoid flicking through thousands of IRs and getting confused.

Only problem with this approach is, just because an amp is usually paired with greenbacks, doesn't mean that an IR with greenbacks will sound best with the given amp.

I think it would be more useful if recommended cabs for active amp blocks were highlighted in a different colour in the menu, or had a star next to them, or something like that - but definitely with an option to turn the feature off. That would allow noobs to avoid flicking through thousands of IRs and getting confused.

Only problem with this approach is, just because an amp is usually paired with greenbacks, doesn't mean that an IR with greenbacks will sound best with the given amp.

I would trust @Admin M@ @austinbuddy @Moke @fremen or other FAS studs to be able to come up with good middle of the road amp / IR pairings.

But, the "since you can't please everyone" reason usually means ideas like this don't seem to last long here lol.

I'm a firm believer in sensible defaults. Especially the more parameters that are in user interface.

I use the same cab for 95% of my patches. I don’t really think there is any right or wrong choice, and certainly don’t worry that what I pick isn’t the same as M etc would pick. They have their taste, I have mine, maybe similar, maybe not, but in the end it doesn’t matter.

Nice thing with the Axe is there is no setting that can physically harm the unit. In the real world you don’t want to plug a 16ohm cab into a 4him speaker jack, you don’t want to plug a 100 head into a 25 watt 1x12 etc. there are “wrong” things, but in the Axe you can do anything. Want to hear a 1x6 cab with a 100 watt cranked head? Just turn the dial.

As such, I don’t think there is any real need for anyone to go through and tell us what cab we are supposed to use.

I went through and found two cabs that I liked that worked with anything, and I use them on all of my patches, in stereo. I also have a couple of special cases, where I needed 212s, so I also have a couple of 212's in the "Y" of the cab block, as well.

The thing is, I basically did the same thing when I used tube amps. When I got my first tube head, I bought a cab I liked, and I used it with every head I bought, and never bought another cab, cause I didn't need to.

Line6 been doing this forever.

Yeah, but not with results that are truly meaningful, all their stuff sounds dull and lifeless to me. They have more bass stuff too, but it doesn't sound good, so who cares? They even modeled the Pearce BC-1, an odd 80s SS amp for Billy Sheehan, but the real one sounds bad in the first place (in my opinion - seems like it distorts at all the wrong frequencies), Billy, you sounded way better with Ampeg!

Yeah, but not with results that are truly meaningful, all their stuff sounds dull and lifeless to me. They have more bass stuff too, but it doesn't sound good, so who cares? They even modeled the Pearce BC-1, an odd 80s SS amp for Billy Sheehan, but the real one sounds bad in the first place (in my opinion - seems like it distorts at all the wrong frequencies), Billy, you sounded way better with Ampeg!

Yes I just meant the process. Matching amp to cab.

I agree it would be a useful option to have, far more useful than the same function in a L6 product, I had their products before for a short time, okay for rhythm in the mix, but I went back to tubes after using their stuff (and added a lot more glass to my signal paths in general).

I know the Helix is a huge step up for them, but I don't think it really compares with FAS gear, maybe the Kemper, though I would much sooner buy a Kemper...still for just a bit more I can add a III and be done with it. No plan to sell my II, it's too good, I measure gear by what it does, how well it does it and how often I'm likely to use it, if the XL was built in the 70s, or 80s and hadn't had an update since then, it would be one of the best pieces of gear I own - same rule applies to new digital gear.

Drag and drop templates are mentioned in the III axe edit. No reason you couldn't have all your common amps setup.

I agree but then you are back to figuring out some decent settings and pairings yourself to create the templates in the first place.

The idea here is for FAS to provide the decent middle of the road amp settings and IR pairing for us. Nothing too fancy. Just a good basic solid tone.

Back
Top Bottom