Auto Insurance...who do you use?

warlockII

Fractal Fanatic
After sending tons of people to Progressive, I am now looking for a new insurance company (home, 3 vehicles and a motorcycle). Long story short, silly me asks for a policy review to see if it would lower my rate. 2 shitty things happen:
1. Retiring from teaching actually raised my rate by $250
2. They now say they can't cover my 1974 Bronco because it has a suspension lift...like almost every Jeep, truck, etc. on the road!!! (I have a claimed value policy due to the modifications).

Who do you use and what makes you stay with them?

Used Liberty Mutual for a long time, great service, including dealing 100% with a bogus lawsuit against my wife for a minor accident.

Then a while later, my daughter in law was in an accident on the same family policy, and they kicked my wife off for too many points. Odd but true.

Ended up on Progressive, who have been pretty good, though we've only had windshield claims with them.

My daughter moved it of state and off our policy, and my wife's point aged out, so I investigated going back to Liberty. When I called and compared prices with Progressive, they were pretty much identical, so I picked Liberty, for their service. When the actual bill showed up it was completely different, roughly twice Progressive, so I went back to them.

Also FWIW, you can talk to a human 24x7 at Progressive, not so Liberty.

None of which actually helps you, unless you want to try Liberty, sorry :)

I don't own a car, but I get mail every week from insurance companies wanting to sell me auto insurance. Also, I live in an apartment complex and I get home owners insurance junk mail all the time.

I’ve been with State Farm for 40 years or more. The prices have never been the cheapest, but on any occasion I’ve needed to make a claim it was very easy and the coverage regularly surprised me in its depth and completeness. As with just about anything in life… you get exactly what you pay for.

Retiring from teaching actually raised my rate by $250

That statement alone proves the entire insurance industry is a scam. If you are retiring, wouldn't it make sense that you won't be driving to and from work five days a week, therefore, the chances of you getting into an accident are less??

It's like my insurance company, some shingles blow off the roof. Call to make a claim...you'll have to pay the deductible...sure, no problem. Oh and you'll lose your claims free discount and your premium will go up because you aren't claim free anymore. :mad:

That statement alone proves the entire insurance industry is a scam. If you are retiring, wouldn't it make sense that you won't be driving to and from work five days a week, therefore, the chances of you getting into an accident are less??

It's like my insurance company, some shingles blow off the roof. Call to make a claim...you'll have to pay the deductible...sure, no problem. Oh and you'll lose your claims free discount and your premium will go up because you aren't claim free anymore. :mad:
Been there. Someone rear-ended my youngest son on his way to high school as he was at a red light. Completely not his fault. They covered his totaled car, but our rates went up for several years due to losing the claim-free discount. I look at it as their way of discouraging little claims. It works, of course, but it causes plenty of customer angst.

On the other side - many of my neighbors filed claims to have their roofs replaced due to hail damage. I had several roofing companies come out and look at mine. The honest, creditable ones told me they could see some evidence of hail damage but definitely not worthy of replacement for a roof with only 2-3 years of normal life left anyway. The less honest sales guys magically found enough damage to make a claim. It was funny you could tell which was which by the worth of the vehicle they drove to my house (you can guess which way it went).

South West

O.K., here's what I'd do .... Search for a "Domestic" insurance company ( domestic means headquartered in your state ). A lot of times they'll have rates that are competitive in a more limited geographic area. Companies like Liberty & State Farm are great ..., but they tend to be higher cost because their rate structure takes in a much larger area ( and a lot of times will include both the east & west coasts which drive up the cost a lot ! ) ....

I'm from the upper-mid west and there are quite a few located in my state ..., unfortunately I'm not familiar with any specific to the S/W. Sorry !

I have used auto owners for over a decade. Their customer service is outstanding and the rates are reasonable. Even for my V8 Maserati GT

I’m quite content with Geico.

A few years back some dipshit t-boned me then tried suing the shit out of me several different times, I didn’t have to do a single thing because Geico fought it on my end and my rate never went up. A year later, an unlicensed/uninsured driver slammed on his brakes at a flashing yellow light, not knowing what the protocol was, causing me to rear-end him. Florida is an at-fault state, so I was almost screwed. I had to speed ahead of him and force him to pull over when he took off, then he sat in his car and begged me not to call the cops. He then informed me he didn’t have a license, we exchanged numbers and later that night he called to ask me to tell Geico his boyfriend was driving, followed my text messages to plead more, the moron.

I immediately called Geico and asked for an e-mail address to send screenshots to and detailed the story. I never heard a word about it after that, aside from the guy’s boyfriend calling to scream at me for not going along with their BS. The unfortunate part was that my truck was fucked and I had to pay for it, but I at least saved myself from whatever BS they were going to try claiming that most likely would have raised my rate.

Statefarm forever. But whatever company you choose if you bundle (like homeowners, etc) you get the better deals.

Back
Top Bottom