Auto engage - user error or bug?

Del Pedro

Either I don't understand how auto engage is supposed to work or it is buggy.
I have an expression pedal connected to the Axe FX. It is set to auto engage the wah block.
Turning the wah off works as I would expect. It switches off around the threshold value (off value), depending on the auto-engage setting (position/speed).
Turning the wah on is different however. It always switches on at a value that is 5% higher than the threshold. The auto-engage setting has no effect.
For example, with off-value 5% ist switches on at 1.00.
With off-value 8% it switches on at 1.30.
With off-value 25% it switches on at 3.00.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

The Speed (SPD) modes makes the block engage only when you move the expression pedal quickly regardless of its position. It's meant to combat the effect turning on by itself if your expression pedal slowly sags down on its own. If you move the pedal slowly enough, you can move it the whole sweep without it turning on. POS vs SPD does not affect the turning off triggering behavior. That is always determined by position of the pedal compared to the Off Value setting. The FAST, MED, and SLOW options of each determines how quickly the turn off takes place once you cross the Off Value. FAST turns off immediately once the Off Value is crossed, while MED and SLOW insert a small delay before actually turning off. The delay let you cross the off value threshold for a split second without it actually turning off in case you accidentally rock a bit too far while getting your Voodoo Child on.

Last edited:
Thanks. But that doesn't really help.
As I tried to explain turning off works fine.
Turning on the wah is strange. Set it to any of the "POS" modes and slowly press the pedal down. The wah will always engage at off-value + 5%, no matter if the mode is slow, med or fast and how fast or slow you move the pedal.

Post a screenshot of your modifier settings... Possible you have Scale, Offset or something else not at default.

Also, I'm not quite following what you're trying to say with the numbers you posted. Where are you getting 1.00, 1.30, 3.00? Are those the values you see on the Control knob?

Remember that there percent is for OFF, so it most go higher than that for ON.

Thanks. But that doesn't really help.
As I tried to explain turning off works fine.
Turning on the wah is strange. Set it to any of the "POS" modes and slowly press the pedal down. The wah will always engage at off-value + 5%, no matter if the mode is slow, med or fast and how fast or slow you move the pedal.
The on value is 5% higher than the off value. This is by design. It's called hysteresis and it's a common technique used in many "bang-bang" controllers, i.e. thermostats. This is to prevent chatter at the threshold.

Back
Top Bottom